Page 46 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 962

Thread: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

  1. #451
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The Civil Rights Act keeps a local government from doing that. There is no similar act that is specific to supporting a political or ideological movement.
    The equal protection clause does however protect Religious discrimination at an equal level as Racial discrimination, and at the very least an argument can be made here that the issue is at least in part motivated due to a desire to punish for a RELIGIOUS belief (for example, note the outrage over the fact he suggested it'd cause "god's wrath").

    As fun as it is for some people, such as in this thread, to degrade and deride those that believe in a "sky-fairy"....being discriminated against for religious beliefs is no more lawful than discriminating against one for the color of their skin.

    Now, you could say that "Well, they may have issues with his religious views, but it's ultimately his stance on a political issue / support of a group that's a problem".

    In which case, change the other individuals statement from "because he's black" to "because he supports affirmative action laws" or "because he supports the naacp" or something else that's not DIRECTLY because of his race but rather because of his political view / support for a group.

    Now, I agree with your latter post abou tnot knowing how it'd be ruled in court. I can see the argument. And I think on a technicality you could easily work it where the government could do a work around where their motivation is to punish due to political/religious views but does so through legitimate means. That doesn't change the fact that I would find that unethical, regardless if it was Chick-Fil-A in Chicago/Boston or the Mosque near ground zero.

    Pressure by people is one thing....the use of government force, to me, is something entirely different

  2. #452
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,884

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Chick-Fil-A Values are not Chicago Values

    Louis Farrakhan Values are Chicago Values

    Rahm welcomes help from Farrakahn, ignores anti-Semitic remarks - Chicago Sun-Times
    Ignoring Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan’s history of anti-Semitic remarks, Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Wednesday welcomed the army of men dispatched to the streets by Farrakhan to stop the violence in Chicago neighborhoods.

  3. #453
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Chick-Fil-A Values are not Chicago Values

    Louis Farrakhan Values are Chicago Values

    Rahm welcomes help from Farrakahn, ignores anti-Semitic remarks - Chicago Sun-Times
    Farrakhan has made more public anti-gay statements than the Chik-fil-A CEO has.

  4. #454
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If you mean "good" in terms of healthy for you...by and large you're correct

    If you mean "good" as in tasty...that's a matter of opinion. One I dare say a number of people disagree with you on.

    Can't speak to some of the West Coast fast food joints that we don't have back here in the east/south. However....compared to the McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger Kings, Arbys, Sonics, Taco Bells, KFC's, Popeye's, BoJangles, Hardees, and Checker's that are in my general area Chick-Fil-A is easily at the top of the heap.
    I would place Popeyes above Chick fil-A. (I've tried all the others, except Bojangles.)

    I always find it interesting and humorous that I almost never hear anybody do anything but sing Chick fil-A's praises (food wise) until this issue comes up, then suddenly people... coincidentally of the same general political bent... start proclaiming how bad their food is. Yeah, ok, people, if that makes you feel better.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #455
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If you mean "good" in terms of healthy for you...by and large you're correct

    If you mean "good" as in tasty...that's a matter of opinion. One I dare say a number of people disagree with you on.

    Can't speak to some of the West Coast fast food joints that we don't have back here in the east/south. However....compared to the McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger Kings, Arbys, Sonics, Taco Bells, KFC's, Popeye's, BoJangles, Hardees, and Checker's that are in my general area Chick-Fil-A is easily at the top of the heap.
    I imagine it depends on which location you are at. Each restaurant is different. We have a Taco Bell here that is busy as hell, but their quality is crap. Here, Hardee's has the best quality. It may be the opposite in other towns. The Chick Fil-A's I have eaten at were not impressive. I'm sure some locations may be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #456
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    Farrakhan has made more public anti-gay statements than the Chik-fil-A CEO has.
    Maybe not being Christian has something to do with it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #457
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I would place Popeyes above Chick fil-A. (I've tried all the others, except Bojangles.)

    I always find it interesting and humorous that I almost never hear anybody do anything but sing Chick fil-A's praises (food wise) until this issue comes up, then suddenly people... coincidentally of the same general political bent... start proclaiming how bad their food is. Yeah, ok, people, if that makes you feel better.
    actually in another thread an openly gay forum member was singing their praises, I do believe.

    PS she's also liberal

  8. #458
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I always find it interesting and humorous that I almost never hear anybody do anything but sing Chick fil-A's praises (food wise) until this issue comes up, then suddenly people... coincidentally of the same general political bent... start proclaiming how bad their food is. Yeah, ok, people, if that makes you feel better.
    That's because some people cannot go a second of their lives without attaching political import to everything around them. And if someone/something does something they don't agree with, absolutely everything about that someone/something instantly becomes the worst kind of vile and evil in every possible respect.

    That's a recipe for a sad, frustrating life.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #459
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I would place Popeyes above Chick fil-A. (I've tried all the others, except Bojangles.)

    I always find it interesting and humorous that I almost never hear anybody do anything but sing Chick fil-A's praises (food wise) until this issue comes up, then suddenly people... coincidentally of the same general political bent... start proclaiming how bad their food is. Yeah, ok, people, if that makes you feel better.
    I like Popeye's better. It's not much better though. Most fast food across the board has gone down in quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #460
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Chick-Fil-A Values are not Chicago Values

    Louis Farrakhan Values are Chicago Values

    Rahm welcomes help from Farrakahn, ignores anti-Semitic remarks - Chicago Sun-Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    Farrakhan has made more public anti-gay statements than the Chik-fil-A CEO has.
    I'm not a fan of Farrakahn, but what exactly are the Jewish community and Chick Fil-A doing about the violence in Chicago?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Page 46 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •