Page 39 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 962

Thread: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

  1. #381
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    No, we are talking about local communities. There is always Oklahoma.
    wait, these permits and licenses are handled by the community and not the govt?

  2. #382
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I'm sure lots of communities feel that way. This straw man won't work on me.
    The question is; Is it legal and just as okay, in your opinion, for a southern town to deny a gay bar the ability to operate, as it seem to be to you for these towns to deny Chick-Fil-A the ability to operate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    And who is the judge of a valid reason to deny a business permit?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here.......A Judge?
    From the ashes.

  3. #383
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    When were the owners of Chick fil A arrested for their views?
    arrest isn't the only form of punishment


    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    When were they muzzled by the government?
    if and when they are denied a permit based on the content of their political speech


    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I don't know how the courts would rule on this if it actually went to the federal courts.
    uhh, the courts view the first as sacrosanct. They aren't going to rip it apart because of people advocating anti-gay positions

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    There are reasonable arguments for both sides of this.
    only if you don't understand the value of free speech

  4. #384
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and there is the 64,000 dollar question.

    a racist would feel that "because he is black" is a valid reason

    an atheist might feel that "because he is a christian" is a valid reason

    which is why I feel that, unless the business is conducting illegal activity, they should not be denied a license.
    And yet they are denied every day for mulitudes of reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #385
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    wait, these permits and licenses are handled by the community and not the govt?
    Not the State goverment. Local government.

    Issues like this are fun because it turns small government conservatives into Federalists.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #386
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    If a business is truly not in keeping with the values of a community, wouldn't they go broke quickly?
    From the ashes.

  7. #387
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The question is; Is it legal and just as okay, in your opinion, for a southern town to deny a gay bar the ability to operate, as it seem to be to you for these towns to deny Chick-Fil-A the ability to operate.
    Bars are more difficult to get approved as it is easy for a community to cap the number of liquor licenses they will allow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here.......A Judge?
    Pro tip: If you have to sue to get a license, you probably chose the wrong place to open a business. Of course Cathy obviously isn't the smartest businessman.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #388
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Not the State goverment. Local government.

    Issues like this are fun because it turns small government conservatives into Federalists.
    1) I'm not a small govt conservative

    2) As far as I am aware the court have always treated any infringement of the first, be it at the local, state, or federal level, the same. So pointing to such a distinction here is totally specious

  9. #389
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Pro tip: If you have to sue to get a license, you probably chose the wrong place to open a business. Of course Cathy obviously isn't the smartest businessman.
    pro-tip: making ****ty business decisions has no bearings on the protection afforded by the first


    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Bars are more difficult to get approved as it is easy for a community to cap the number of liquor licenses they will allow.
    that's limiting commerce, not political speech

  10. #390
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    I'm late to the game here, but I just want to know why all of these "BOYCOTT CHIK-FIL-A!!!!" people didn't choose to boycott the Obama campaign in 2008?


Page 39 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •