Page 38 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 962

Thread: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

  1. #371
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Do you know how many communities wouldn't think a gay night club would be a good fit for the community?
    I'm sure lots of communities feel that way. This straw man won't work on me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Sure they would and I have seen a strip club (well a "novelty" store actually) challenge a denial and win specifically because the city couldn't prove any grounds not to allow the business. Meh, we don't want those here, is evidently not a valid reason to deny a legal business the ability to operate.
    And who is the judge of a valid reason to deny a business permit?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  2. #372
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    what about selling chicken do you think clashes with the values of chicago? Again, we are not talking about an attempt to to limit the type of commercial activity someone participates in here (selling booze), but taking punitive measures against a company for the political speech of it's owners
    Despite the victim mentality, it's not punitive if they never had a business license there to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #373
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]


  4. #374
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I'm sure lots of communities feel that way. This straw man won't work on me.



    And who is the judge of a valid reason to deny a business permit?
    already pointed it out in earlier posts,the 14th amendment prevents discrimination without due process of law,and denying a company for not conforming to a political ideology isnot only fascism but not due process of law.

    corporations are still considered people,through personhood,therefore they areprotected until changed otherwise under the 14th amendment,making any actions against them for political views 100% illegal.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  5. #375
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    And who is the judge of a valid reason to deny a business permit?
    and there is the 64,000 dollar question.

    a racist would feel that "because he is black" is a valid reason

    an atheist might feel that "because he is a christian" is a valid reason

    which is why I feel that, unless the business is conducting illegal activity, they should not be denied a license.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #376
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The Civil Rights Act keeps a local government from doing that. There is no similar act that is specific to supporting a political or ideological movement.
    besides the entire first amendment

  7. #377
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Despite the victim mentality, it's not punitive if they never had a business license there to begin with.
    again, the act of denying the license, based on their political ideas and speech, would be a form of punishment, for holding those ideas. it's a rather clear, and concise concept.

  8. #378
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    This is like saying that every woman you haven't slept with is punishing you by withholding sex.
    In my case, they are punishing themselves.
    From the ashes.

  9. #379
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    we are talking about the state, not private entities. there is no alternative to the state
    No, we are talking about local communities. There is always Oklahoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #380
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    besides the entire first amendment
    When were the owners of Chick fil A arrested for their views? When were they muzzled by the government? I don't know how the courts would rule on this if it actually went to the federal courts. There are reasonable arguments for both sides of this. However, I would suspect that before this is over the Chick-fi-A folks will wish they had given some money to the ACLU as well.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 38 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •