Page 17 of 97 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 962

Thread: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

  1. #161
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,131

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    the KKK literally hates minorities though, this is what you are failing to comprehend. Historic acts of violence by the KKK is evidence. Show me the acts of violates against gay people directly committed by the FRC and supported by them. Personally, what I find embarrassing is trying to honestly compare FRC with the KKK and NeoNazis.
    That is because you are not informed. You immediately jumped to defend a group without knowing its history or its research. ThePlayDrive hit the nail on the head. You shot yourself in the foot. You demanded more of others than you could deliver yourself. Here is a little resource so you can learn some of the history of the organization you have chosen to align yourself with.

    18 Anti-Gay Groups and Their Propaganda | Southern Poverty Law Center

    Given that the FRC argued that gays are a bunch of child molesters...well...we all know how that probably went for people who took them seriously. Good to know that you support those kinds of views.

    At least the KKK is nice enough not to declare black people are out to get your children.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 07-25-12 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  2. #162
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    That is because you are not informed. You immediately jumped to defend a group without knowing its history or its research. ThePlayDrive hit the nail on the head. You shot yourself in the foot. You demanded more of others than you could deliver yourself. Here is a little resource so you can learn some of the history of the organization you have chosen to align yourself with.

    18 Anti-Gay Groups and Their Propaganda | Southern Poverty Law Center

    Given that the FRC argued that gays are a bunch of child molesters...well...we all know how that probably went for people who took them seriously. Good to know that you support those kinds of views.
    Thanks for imposing the false charge that I believe that gays are a bunch of child molesters. Do I agree with FRC studies? No. But rationally, are they a hate group on par with the KKK or NeoNazis? No. You immediately jump in to attack a group and equate them with violent groups like the KKK without knowings its history. When FRC starts hanging homosexuals or killing them in ethnic purges then you'll have an equatable argument. But regardless, the issue is not about the FRC or if Chick Fil A donates to your perceived "hate groups." It's about city governments trying to legally harm a business based on the owner's personal views. This is a violation of freedom.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    the Nazis were violent. Their ideals were based on hate. If I'm not mistaken the KKK supports that there is a superior race and that others are inferior (as well as the Nazis). They can't be compared to FRC, which throws out research that is conducted in bias that happens to not support the homosexual rights movement. I think the blind bias comes in when people chose to irrationally label the FRC as a hate group and compare them to the KKK because they can't separate their personal dislike for them from rational argumentation. It's part of a partisan mindset, people who act irrationally on an issue want to believe that the "other side" is evil or hateful. It happens all the time.
    Violence is not the only means of expressing hate. Purposely spreading false, damaging and hateful ideas about group is another means. An organization that spreads false information that homosexual men are more likely be pedophiles is a hate group. I suspect that the majority of people feel some version of hatred when thinking of pedophiles. Consequently, to smear an entire group with that label is certainly an action either aimed at spreading hate or aware of the potential to inspire hatred.

    Moreover, FRC and those who do not support SSM are, in fact, spreading the message that heterosexuality is superior to homosexuality, if not directly, then indirectly by attempting to stop it through homosexuality "rehabilitation" techniques. Similarly, they are certainly spreading the message that heterosexual relationships are superior to homosexual relationships when they argue that the latter should be banned or prevented and the former should be embraced.

    You are, straight up, blinded by your bias.

  4. #164
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    That is because you are not informed. You immediately jumped to defend a group without knowing its history or its research. ThePlayDrive hit the nail on the head. You shot yourself in the foot. You demanded more of others than you could deliver yourself. Here is a little resource so you can learn some of the history of the organization you have chosen to align yourself with.

    18 Anti-Gay Groups and Their Propaganda | Southern Poverty Law Center

    Given that the FRC argued that gays are a bunch of child molesters...well...we all know how that probably went for people who took them seriously. Good to know that you support those kinds of views.

    At least the KKK is nice enough not to declare black people are out to get your children.
    Did you read your own link? Doesn't go into any accusations or incidences of violence by the FRC. They just believe homosexuality is wrong and that homosexuals are more likely to be pedos. You can disagree with them, and folks often do. But they aren't known for being violent.

  5. #165
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Seems to me that the owners of Chick a fil have the right to say whatever stupid, bigoted thing they want short of suggesting violence.

    Once having said stupid, bigoted things, the same principles applies to the consequences involved in their saying something stupid and bigoted. Why people seem to think that "free speech" means "freedom from consequences" is anybody's guess, but the fact remains that people ALSO have the right to reject them for their stupidity and bigotry.
    Last edited by Gardener; 07-25-12 at 09:28 PM.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #166
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey
    Yeah... and the New Black Panther Movement just wants to help white people find the error of their ways. Do you know how ridiculous and condescending you sound when you argue that you have the power to help gay people get fixed? Does your brain even program such information?
    You can certainly disagree with the Family Research Council. But is the term "hate group" appropriate for them?

    But could you imagine the little fit you and other Christians would have if an Atheist group had a camp designed to turn Christians into atheists because they thought their lifestyle - and yes - Christianity IS a lifestyle you choose - was wrong?
    I would think it pointless and foolish, like I think gay conversion camps are pointless and foolish...but I wouldn't consider them a hate group.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  7. #167
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Violence is not the only means of expressing hate. Purposely spreading false, damaging and hateful ideas about group is another means. An organization that spreads false information that homosexual men are more likely be pedophiles is a hate group. I suspect that the majority of people feel some version of hatred when thinking of pedophiles. Consequently, to smear an entire group with that label is certainly an action either aimed at spreading hate or aware of the potential to inspire hatred.

    Moreover, FRC and those who do not support SSM are, in fact, spreading the message that heterosexuality is superior to homosexuality, if not directly, then indirectly by attempting to stop it through homosexuality "rehabilitation" techniques. Similarly, they are certainly spreading the message that heterosexual relationships are superior to homosexual relationships when they argue that the latter should be banned or prevented and the former should be embraced.

    You are, straight up, blinded by your bias.
    Do you even know my views? I support SSM, so why would I be biased in favor of a group that doesn't? I have also said that I do not believe the studies or research that the FRC puts out and I think it's biased. Although, I do not support labelling the FRC as a hate group. Many groups support their ideals and are against the ideals of others, this isn't hate. Are the socialist parties around the world haters of capitalists? No, but they may hate capitalism. Are the capitalist parties around the world haters of communists? No, but they may hate communism. One argues that personal economic freedom should be banned or prevented, while government expansion should be embraced. It's hate when one of these parties wants to kill dissenters (as has been done in the past) or if they say that socialists/capitalists/communists should be hated.

    Based on this issue, I would say there is more hatred by Chicago towards Chick Fil A because Chicago can't simply hate the idea that SSM should be banned, they need to hate those that believe it and use that hatred of those that hold the view they disagree with to unfairly punish their business.

    Also, anyone that disagrees with me, is straight up, blinded by their own bias.
    Last edited by digsbe; 07-25-12 at 09:34 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Seems to me that the owners of Chick a fil have the right to say whatever stupid, bigoted thing they want short of suggesting violence.

    Once having said stupid, bigoted things, the same principles applies to the consequences involved in their saying something stupid and bigoted. Why people seem to think that "free speech" means "freedom from consequences" is anybody's guess, but the fact remains that people ALSO have the right to reject them for their stupidity and bigotry.
    Exactly. I'd like to know where businesses I might support stand on moral issues important to me. They have every right to take whatever position they choose, and I have every right to A) know about it, and B) make my decisions regarding their businesses accordingly.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  9. #169
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    You can certainly disagree with the Family Research Council. But is the term "hate group" appropriate for them?


    Lying about people with the intent of stirring up hatred against them is certainly the action of a hate group and so they qualify.

    If they simply wanted to state that they disagreed with homosexuality because they were uber religious, they would not necessarily qualify. It is the false allegations with the intent of intentional harm that makes them a hate group.
    Last edited by Gardener; 07-25-12 at 09:35 PM.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #170
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    I'm really amazed anyone would support this

Page 17 of 97 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •