Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 149

Thread: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

  1. #71
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Agreed. It's just a way for people to dismiss what they don't understand or what they are afraid of. It's kind of like people who assume that if they can't understand where something came from, "God did it." It does nothing to help humanity solve problems.
    A good way to solve humanities problems would be to eliminate these guys causing these problems. I havent seen anyone, not one person on this thread or any other until you claiming god did it. I thought I have been very clear. God didnt do this shooting. Neither did the NRA, the FDA the pharmecuticals companies, the tea party, ows, the church, his parent, the theater or anyone else everyone is trying to pin this on. One person was to blame for this shooting. 1. uno. thats it. No more. And that person should be given a trial and then promptly executed unless it cannot be proven that he pulled that trigger. That is all there should be to it.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Based on what? We don't know what his actions were the effect of. A person can just want to cause death and destruction. There does not have to be anything more to it than that. What is this guy going to say that is going to realistically shed any light on anything or change anything?
    Call the Aurora police, call off the investigation. Let Capt Dan Oates know that muciti thinks that nothing needs to be learned or understood from the tragedy.

    Wrap it up, boys. Let's go home.

    Lol, c'mon man. Really?

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Based on what? We don't know what his actions were the effect of. A person can just want to cause death and destruction. There does not have to be anything more to it than that.
    What you're describing does not line up with reality. Actions do not exist in a vacuum. They, like everything, have causes. If you don't think his actions were caused by anything, then you aren't operating in reality. Now, whether those causes could have been altered is up for debate.

    What is this guy going to say that is going to realistically shed any light on anything or change anything?
    I don't know if he will say anything that will help. However, if we find out what caused his actions and if his life shares preventable patterns with those who have committed similar crimes, then his words might help us in the future.

  4. #74
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,599

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    It's a rather large, complicated subject. I'd rather not derail the thread like this. I can make a new thread in another forum if you want to go into detail.

    But the gist is, we have two problems; an aversion to mental health help, because of various cultural and social norms that prevent many people from seeking help. The other is that in many places in the US, even access to basic mental health services. This term "mental health services" covers wide swath of people and institutions, it can cover anyone from social workers and registered nurses to licensed psychiatrists. We have what some say worrying rates of depression and suicide, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder and other mental health issues. High rates of illness and low rates of care providers is not a good thing.
    OK, here is the rub. If you even talk to a "mental health" professional, then you MAY be placed onto the national "loony list" sure to be included in the famous "background checks" that liberals want to use to "exclude" 2nd amendment rights from being granted to the "wrong" citizens. Once you make things into gov't datbases, like ALL "health care" records (PPACA?) then the next step is EASY, simply access them "for the good (safety?) of society" and then it becomes DANGEROUS for you to seek ANY mental health services as that means you will LIKELY be disarmed, possibly forever, if not "cured" or certified as such. I would not at be surpirsed at all if the Batman killer had not seen a "menatl health" professional (or even several of them), as it seems that his social and professional life was a complete mess, possibly for all of his adult years.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Calling him evil just takes away any possibility that things like this can be prevented.

    It's like calling something an act of god; it assumes it's unpreventable by nature.
    As unstoppable as the lone-wolf terrorist, because they're virtually undetectable. Yes, long ago I accepted the fact that the world will never be without crime. Try as we may, we will never be able to prevent 100% of all crime. Sometimes the bad guy is very smart and knows how to play the system, and he get's through. When he does, the citizen needs to be ready.

    There is nothing which could have been don to prevent this crime, **** happens. What could have been don, what should have been don, is an armed theater audience returning fire to minimize the crime, hopefully killing the assailant in the process.

    We don't need your nanny-state socialist bull**** policies. We need a strong, vibrant, responsible gun-culture. This is what all evidence demonstrates lowers crime. Save you bull**** for some 3rd world warlord America hasn't killed yet.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Call the Aurora police, call off the investigation. Let Capt Dan Oates know that muciti thinks that nothing needs to be learned or understood from the tragedy.

    Wrap it up, boys. Let's go home.

    Lol, c'mon man. Really?
    by all means. feel free. any money spent on anything more than determining this piece of ****'s innocent or guilt and execution is a waste.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    A good way to solve humanities problems would be to eliminate these guys causing these problems. I havent seen anyone, not one person on this thread or any other until you claiming god did it. I thought I have been very clear. God didnt do this shooting.
    You didn't read my post properly. I didn't mention anyone claiming that God had a hand in this shooting (although some politicians and organizations have). I said that blaming it on "evil" is similar to other situations when people claim "God did it" for things they don't understand.

    One person was to blame for this shooting. 1. uno. thats it. No more. And that person should be given a trial and then promptly executed unless it cannot be proven that he pulled that trigger. That is all there should be to it.
    The problem is that you continue to state that argument without defending it and just assume that it's self-evident. The other problem is that your argument isn't defensible because in order for it to be accurate, his actions would have had to exist in a vacuum where the will is the only cause of behavior. His actions don't exist in such a place, so your statements are incorrect.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Because then you introduce the "anti-liberal" thought of personal responsibility; if a criminal is simply held responsible for their crime, then there is no "root cause" to launch massive liberal social programs to "fix". If a person is actually responsible for their own actions, then you can not justify rewarding INDIVIDUAL (educational, social and economic) failure with welfare, you must make it seem that SOCIETY has somehow that failed the individual, then you can "fix" it with a liberal social program.
    Spoken like a god!

  9. #79
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    What you're describing does not line up with reality. Actions do not exist in a vacuum. They, like everything, have causes. If you don't think his actions were caused by anything, then you aren't operating in reality. Now, whether those causes could have been altered is up for debate.


    I don't know if he will say anything that will help. However, if we find out what caused his actions and if his life shares preventable patterns with those who have committed similar crimes, then his words might help us in the future.
    how could his words help anyone? what insight could he possibly provide? and even if he does have something to say why should anyone listen?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    by all means. feel free. any money spent on anything more than determining this piece of ****'s innocent or guilt and execution is a waste.
    Get ready to have your money wasted then.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •