Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    WASHINGTON — One of the top items on President Barack Obama's to do list - a 10 percent tax break for small businesses that make new hires - got tangled in an election-year tax debate as Republicans lead a filibuster to block the measure.

    Read more here: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote | McClatchy — One of the top items on President Barack Obama's to do list - a 10 percent tax break for small businesses that make new hires - got tangled in an election-year tax debate as Republicans lead a filibuster to block the measure.
    OK, here is what I don't understand. This bill is something that Republicans have strongly supported in the past. Why do they now poison it by demanding repeal of Obamacare as an Amendment, and then filibuster it when they don't get the repeal of Obamacare amendment placed on the bill?

    Here's the deal. Want to repeal Obamacare? Then push that on it's own merits. But when you screw with the very kind of job creation you claim you are for, only because Democrats brought it up to be voted on, then you are Giving Democrats just the kind of ammunition they need to show you that you are willing to sabotage the economy for political purposes. You are shooting yourselves in the foot. I hope you realize that, and will turn around and start doing something for your country for a change, instead of something only for your party.

    Yea, I have my dislike of Obamacare too, but Jesus Christ, I am a ****ing American first!!

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    If a Democrat proposes the bill, they will shoot it down. This isn't new. They outright said this was their first priority when Obama first took office. They don't want to improve the economy, beacause an improving economy improves Obama's reelection odds.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    Dan, you think taking care of business comes before taking care of health care?

    Seems like the Democrats are just trying to make Republicans look bad.

    I'm not sure what good a 10% tax break on small business will do either in the grand scheme of things. Big business hires most employees, and there's plenty of cash out there for loans. The problem is nobody's borrowing.

  4. #4
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Dan, you think taking care of business comes before taking care of health care?

    Seems like the Democrats are just trying to make Republicans look bad.

    I'm not sure what good a 10% tax break on small business will do either in the grand scheme of things. Big business hires most employees, and there's plenty of cash out there for loans. The problem is nobody's borrowing.
    Err no. The life blood of any economy is small and medium sized business's.. it is just the Apple and GE's of the world that get all the headlines on TV.
    PeteEU

  5. #5
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,663

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    We do NOT need more gov't micro-managing with ANY tax "cuts". Taxation tied to "new hires" or buying "the proper" new equipment for a year or two is NOT good policy. Far too much of our tax code has nothing to do with raising gov't revenue by taxing "income from all sources" (legal and constitutional) and much more to do with attempting to control how a business or individual LATER SPENDS their money (illegal and unconstitutional). The demorat's idea is to raise ALL top rates and to add some new "loopholes" to offset some of that increase, classic social engineering and income redistribution nonsense, disguised as "pro business" or "pro jobs".
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Err no. The life blood of any economy is small and medium sized business's.. it is just the Apple and GE's of the world that get all the headlines on TV.
    Actually it is pretty well divided.

    http://www.census.gov/newsroom/cspan..._slides_12.pdf

    Note the biggest disparity is the 'Job Destruction' between small and large businesses. The 'Job Creation' is not as tilted 60/40 as commonly reported.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  7. #7
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    The answer is painfully obvious: Republicans only care about defeating Obama and do not give a **** about the economy. In fact, they are more than happy to tank the economy as it furthers their goal of defeating Obama.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #8
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The answer is painfully obvious: Republicans only care about defeating Obama and do not give a **** about the economy. In fact, they are more than happy to tank the economy as it furthers their goal of defeating Obama.
    The legislation would have provided the tax credit to companies that hire new employees or otherwise expand their payrolls this year, a typically popular approach among the GOP. Republicans in the Senate did not necessarily object to the measure, but they protested Thursday after Democrats refused to allow votes on other amendments.
    sounds like political jockeying

  9. #9
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Dan, you think taking care of business comes before taking care of health care?

    Seems like the Democrats are just trying to make Republicans look bad.

    I'm not sure what good a 10% tax break on small business will do either in the grand scheme of things. Big business hires most employees, and there's plenty of cash out there for loans. The problem is nobody's borrowing.
    Taking care of business comes before doing nothing, wouldn't you say?

    Well, nothing is what the Republicans did.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Republicans block small-business tax break on procedural vote

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    OK, here is what I don't understand. This bill is something that Republicans have strongly supported in the past. Why do they now poison it by demanding repeal of Obamacare as an Amendment, and then filibuster it when they don't get the repeal of Obamacare amendment placed on the bill?

    Here's the deal. Want to repeal Obamacare? Then push that on it's own merits. But when you screw with the very kind of job creation you claim you are for, only because Democrats brought it up to be voted on, then you are Giving Democrats just the kind of ammunition they need to show you that you are willing to sabotage the economy for political purposes. You are shooting yourselves in the foot. I hope you realize that, and will turn around and start doing something for your country for a change, instead of something only for your party.

    Yea, I have my dislike of Obamacare too, but Jesus Christ, I am a ****ing American first!!

    Article is here.
    Fox News reported this as Obama's fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •