Page 70 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #691
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    I have this question: if a guy wants to rob a bank, and he has a .38 police revolver to help him carry it out, and he decides that he wants to "scare" the public and bank employees into submission first, and he has in front of him and M-80 and a hand grenade; which one should he choose?
    First and foremost, he'd be an idiot to use an M-80 for anything other than blowing out commodes, which probably wouldn't scare anybody not sitting on one. He'd be an idiot to use a grenade; loud, messy, overkill, chaos. Depending on the bank and the location of the people in the bank a grenade my not be that effective.

    IMHO his best move, assuming the dumbass is going use one of the three, would be to walk in and point blank shoot someone. He'll have everyone's attention and no one will doubt that he is willing to shot people. Would the crime be worth the time? Not likely, but most professional bank robbers these days don't stick up banks.

  2. #692
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Is there a Constitutional right to own an AK-47?
    If your argument is that guns, not people, kill people, then I will push for a law to take away your silverware, because I don't want you getting fat. It wouldn't be good for you, and besides, it's not all your fault anyways. It's those nasty silverware manufacturers. There oughta be a law.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #693
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that armed citizen in the theater couldn't have saved lives.
    There is absolutely no evidence that an armed citizen in the theater couldn't have led to the loss of even more lives. It is not hard to imagine how someone shooting at the suspect in a dark theater could have accidentally hit people trying to escape.

    Absence of evidence is not evidence. Stop playing semantic games to push an agenda. This has nothing to do with gun politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #694
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that armed citizen in the theater couldn't have saved lives.
    I don't believe we know enough to know. The shooter may have had a near-perfect kill zone. In addition, he decreased his risk by using smoke.

  5. #695
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    First and foremost, he'd be an idiot to use an M-80 for anything other than blowing out commodes, which probably wouldn't scare anybody not sitting on one. He'd be an idiot to use a grenade; loud, messy, overkill, chaos. Depending on the bank and the location of the people in the bank a grenade my not be that effective.

    IMHO his best move, assuming the dumbass is going use one of the three, would be to walk in and point blank shoot someone. He'll have everyone's attention and no one will doubt that he is willing to shot people. Would the crime be worth the time? Not likely, but most professional bank robbers these days don't stick up banks.

    of all crimes to commit bank robbery is the one that garners the most time

    true murder is a longer sentence but far less murders are solved. bank robbery means the FBI and lots of federal resources. I think murder averages out to 7 years, bank robbery 18

    banks are really good at training their people what to do. bank robbery has the highest rate of solving the crime of any major felony.

    i think poaching is the least solved federal crime

  6. #696
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Dangerous to the shooter and that's a good thing.
    No, dangerous to others. In fact, maybe we would be looking at 100 victims instead of 71.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #697
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    No, dangerous to others. In fact, maybe we would be looking at 100 victims instead of 71.
    no one knows. what we do know is that in most cases of active shooters-if there had been more armed potential victims the body count would have been less. here-don't know

    too many variables-but I'd rather be armed than unarmed in such a situation

  8. #698
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    there is also no evidence to say an armed citizen could of accidently shot a innocent in a dark, smokey cinema. Its all speculation!
    By that logic let's tell the cops to sit back and wait for the bad guy to run out of ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #699
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It's cute when you try to answer a question with a question...it shows you can't actually answer the original question.

    Owning a gun, any gun, is not what "allowed" this to happen.

    An individual choosing to BREAK THE LAW allowed this to happen.
    And that really is the crux of the argument. This sick freak had no regard for human life, and if the motive for this slaughter was to reenact a movie, as if this was a game that makes this all the more disgusting. There are perfectly legitimate reasons to kill, self defense, defense of others, basically when life or safety are in imminent danger, but NEVER for some twisted idea of pleasure.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #700
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    there is also no evidence to say an armed citizen could of accidently shot a innocent in a dark, smokey cinema. Its all speculation!
    There is certainly some truth in that... but then again, people were already being shot so it couldn't have made things much worse now could it?

    There are tricks to shooting in the dark. One thing is you look for the other guy's muzzle flash... dead giveaway at night or in the dark. In the dark, he who shoots first is just giving away his position to shooters on the other side. I learned this from a Vietnam vet who wore a camoflage beret.... some folks will know what that means.

    Yes it is all speculation.... there are no certainties in life, no guarantees you'll live until tomorrow. You could run into a looney, or have a heart attack, or slip in the bathtub and break your neck.

    Well.... I put no-skid stickers on the floor of my bathtub, see my doctor annually and carry a gun I'm very adept in using. None of these things are guarantees you'll live out the day, but they do improve your odds a bit.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •