Page 56 of 182 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #551
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    My obligation as a parent is not to anyone else. Only my children.

    Me getting killed, even if it saves 50 other people, does not give my daughter the best father she deserves, does it? When you think about it THAT way, those other people? Their lives are cheap, sorry to say.
    Who can disagree with that? It is instinct to take of your own first. And in the situation in Aurora there weren't many options. There were probably 4 exists and 2 of those were forward. Depending on your position you may only have the two rear exists with a maniac between you and the other two. In addition, with the smoke it would be difficult to tell how many aggressors were shooting.

    I'm wondering if the theater people turned on the lights and when.

  2. #552
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Do me a favor. Let's try a little experiment, lol.


    I have to assume you folks have guns. Go get them. Load them. Go to your back yard, or some place where there is space to fire it legally, without risk to others. Set up a target. Set up 50 OTHER targets between you and the main target. Wait till night time, pref pitch black, no moon. Now, get a flood light, stare at it for 2 minutes, or until your eyes water, then turn around, navigate through the 50 other targets, and shoot the main target.


    Have someone else video tape it, and post it on here, so we can all laugh at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #553
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    BBC News - Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver

    Breaking news as I write this. Reported that 10 dead and 2 gunmen, and 1 arrested.

    Speculation is now what the motivation is.

    Hmmm.....Just another reason why, I pack 24/7

    You never know

  4. #554
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    My obligation as a parent is not to anyone else. Only my children.

    Me getting killed, even if it saves 50 other people, does not give my daughter the best father she deserves, does it? When you think about it THAT way, those other people? Their lives are cheap, sorry to say.
    If I had a daughter I would want her to seek out honorable men who would not be selfish and would have the courage to know lives are lives and a chance to save fifty lives is one hell of an awesome way to go. I would want her to know selflessness and courage are what make men (and women) honorable. I would not be able to hold her hand down the aisle, but I would have done the best I could to make sure the hand she held the longest was the best one and not the most convenient one.

  5. #555
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Who can disagree with that? It is instinct to take of your own first. And in the situation in Aurora there weren't many options. There were probably 4 exists and 2 of those were forward. Depending on your position you may only have the two rear exists with a maniac between you and the other two. In addition, with the smoke it would be difficult to tell how many aggressors were shooting.

    I'm wondering if the theater people turned on the lights and when.
    Well let's take his mindset and place it in the Revolutionary War. Or the Civil War. how's that working now?

  6. #556
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,891

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Call it what you want. Next time someone shoots up the theater you're at, be sure to jump in the line of fire to save some lives. Keep an image of your child in you mind as you die.
    I've never been in a theater in which a maniac set off a smoke bomb and opened fire. But I have had to face the barrel of a gun, and I have had to make life/death choices that could have resulted in my own death versus the life of my child. I chose my child and got lucky...but my points are (1) that some folks do know what their own instincts are, and (2) even more don't agree with you that other people's lives are cheaper, necessarily, than one's own.

  7. #557
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    If I had a daughter I would want her to seek out honorable men who would not be selfish and would have the courage to know lives are lives and a chance to save fifty lives is one hell of an awesome way to go. I would want her to know selflessness and courage are what make men (and women) honorable. I would not be able to hold her hand down the aisle, but I would have done the best I could to make sure the hand she held the longest was the best one and not the most convenient one.
    And what of the highly LIKELY chance, in this situation, to die without saving a single soul, without really altering the outcome in any way at all, lol?


    You folks all seem to think you're Jason Born, lol.

    I agree with the sentiment, here, I really do. You lead by example. But throwing your life away on a gambit is not exactly a good example to leave. This was, simply put, a nightmare, worst case scenario at it's best. A room full of marines wouldn't have made much difference, let alone me with a glock. Kid was wearing body armor. Hell, years back, there were two guys that robbed a bank in body armor and assualt rifles in LA, in broad daylight, with HUNDREDS of cops all around shooting at them...and they took hours to bring down, and many wounded officers.

    I'm not asking you to be cowards, I'm simply saying, think rationally for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #558
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,332

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Do me a favor. Let's try a little experiment, lol.


    I have to assume you folks have guns. Go get them. Load them. Go to your back yard, or some place where there is space to fire it legally, without risk to others. Set up a target. Set up 50 OTHER targets between you and the main target. Wait till night time, pref pitch black, no moon. Now, get a flood light, stare at it for 2 minutes, or until your eyes water, then turn around, navigate through the 50 other targets, and shoot the main target.


    Have someone else video tape it, and post it on here, so we can all laugh at you.
    My first instinct would be to wait for a clear shot vice wasting my ammo, firing wildly at a target that I can't see. Again, that's just the way I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #559
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Do me a favor. Let's try a little experiment, lol.


    I have to assume you folks have guns. Go get them. Load them. Go to your back yard, or some place where there is space to fire it legally, without risk to others. Set up a target. Set up 50 OTHER targets between you and the main target. Wait till night time, pref pitch black, no moon. Now, get a flood light, stare at it for 2 minutes, or until your eyes water, then turn around, navigate through the 50 other targets, and shoot the main target.


    Have someone else video tape it, and post it on here, so we can all laugh at you.

    I used to do this all the time in IPSC matches-maybe that's why I was a Class A when that was the top and I did real well in the regional NTI and other realistic scenario type contests including one where you had to start with your weapon in a pot of soapy water (scenario you get surprised in your kitchen while washing dishes) and another one involving CS gas

  10. #560
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They should retrofit theaters/malls/schools etc. with safe positions for people to take cover during incidents like this.
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just have everyone wear bulletproof vests and helmets at theaters? Yes, get that visual.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •