Page 36 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    The whining on the Right is almost as palatable as that on the Left with regards to this issue.

    You're right: the theater banning guns didn't prevent the shooting. And patrons carrying guns would almost assuredly have not saved one more life (in fact, given the killer's use of smoke and gas in his attack, it's very possible that more people would have been accidentally killed by do-gooder would-be heroes before the massacre was through).

    This is not a good example to base any argument around.
    That is not logic. That is nonsense. This maggot shoots 71 people. Are you saying that if someone gets a bead on him, and pops as many rounds as possible, that its now 75 people shot ?

    I suggest 25 total. Maybe less. Especially if the CC was ex-military of other security.
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 07-20-12 at 05:46 PM.

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    good point-the government should not execute the guy. rather the families of the dead children should be given the following

    2 hours access to this guy

    several crowbars, blowtorches and car batteries with jumper cables

    full gubernatorial pardons for all and anything they do during that 2 hour period
    after he is convicted, right?

  3. #353
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Neither will sending out death squads to kill him.
    The police killing him would have saved tax payers lots of money and saved the families from any further grief.

    You hate the government?
    I do not hate the government.

    So do I. And, trust me, you don't want to give the State the authority to kill on command.
    I never said anything about giving the state to kill on command. I believe the police should have claimed that he was pointing a weapon at them and then blasted his ass.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #354
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    good point-the government should not execute the guy. rather the families of the dead children should be given the following

    2 hours access to this guy

    several crowbars, blowtorches and car batteries with jumper cables

    full gubernatorial pardons for all and anything they do during that 2 hour period
    That's... incredibly dumb as well.

    Due process exists for a reason. The reason is to limit the State's authority over the accused. Your sentiments are ones I expect from some podunk socially conservative populist, not a libertarian.


    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    That is not logic. That is nonsense. This maggot shoots 71 people. Are you saying that if someone gets a bead on him, and pops as many rounds as possible, that its now 75 people shot ?

    I suggest 25 total. Maybe less. Especially if the CC was ex-military of other security.
    I'm suggesting that firing on a man armed to the hilt with anti-handgun body armor will not stop him, and that firing on him in (1) a darkened theater that (2) has been filled with smoke and (3) tear gas will certainly jeporadize the lives of many more patrons than this man could ever have taken on his own.

    There were military men present in the theater. They weren't able to do a thing.
    Last edited by Einzige; 07-20-12 at 05:47 PM.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  5. #355
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    The whining on the Right is almost as palatable as that on the Left with regards to this issue.

    You're right: the theater banning guns didn't prevent the shooting. And patrons carrying guns would almost assuredly have not saved one more life (in fact, given the killer's use of smoke and gas in his attack, it's very possible that more people would have been accidentally killed by do-gooder would-be heroes before the massacre was through).

    This is not a good example to base any argument around.
    I disagree with you. If this were Texas, and if it were not legally a gun-free zone, someone(s) would have taken him out long before he got off 71 deliberate and individual shots.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #356
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,485

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    And unfortunately, this one went with the smoke grenade. Obscures his vision a bit too, but still increases his advantage. He had the ballistic helmet, neck protector, and upper-body armor. Seemed he was ready for suicide by cop, after a shoot-out. Yet he surrendered.
    With all that body armor, I'm thinking that suicide by cop was a part of the plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #357
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    That is not logic. That is nonsense. This maggot shoots 71 people. Are you saying that if someone gets a bead on him, and pops as many rounds as possible, that its now 75 people shot ?

    I suggest 25 total. Maybe less. Especially if the CC was ex-military of other security.
    You're assuming that someone would be carrying a sufficiently powerful gun loaded with armor-piercing ammo capable of breaching this guy's full-body suit? What are the chances of that?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #358
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I disagree with you. If this were Texas, and if it were not legally a gun-free zone, someone(s) would have taken him out long before he got off 71 deliberate and individual shots.
    The killer was wearing body armor. It's been variously reported as Kevlar and flak; the media, as always, is not good at distinguishing between types of weapons and armors used. Either way, the killer could have taken multiple body shots and remained mobile and dangerous. And the environment being what it was - smoky, dark and murky, filled with tear gas and smoke from smoke bombs - the risk of unintentional deaths would have been incredibly high.

    Again, I support concealed carry. But this is the dumbest possible argument anyone can make for it.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  9. #359
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,485

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    which means he was prepared for an armed-audience.
    No, he was prepared for one, or two armed persons in the audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #360
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, he was prepared for one, or two armed persons in the audience.
    Do you honestly believe that life is like a John Woo movie, where anyone with fingers enough to fire a Glock carries one in the waistbands of their pants?
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •