Page 180 of 182 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182 LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #1791
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,785

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The current standard is involuntary commission to a mental facility, felony conviction, or dishonorable discharge. I am almost okay with that, I would take DD off of the table, allow someone who kept their nose clean for about 5-10 years to apply for full clemency and be fully reinstated, and have a "must be cleared" rule for involuntary commission to a facility. Then I would add the affadavit system, I think allowing for a flag based on a judicial order could serve that purpose satisfactorily without putting an undue burden on those who have no issues.
    Unless I'm missing something, that seems reasonable enough.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  2. #1792
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    To those who think that magazine limits or other some such nonsense will help, you are fooling yourself. The very nature of the event in question, IE the shooting in Aurora CO, was planned. Think about that for a moment. In this case it was planned by an amatuer, a phd student. It seems to have been planned somewhat meticulously. He however was an amatuer with NO formal training of any kind that we know of. He also surrendered without a fight, and told the police his apartment was booby trapped. He very well could have fought and NOT told the police about the booby trap. How many more would have died then? Now extrapolate to a person with military training or paramilitary training. Do we honestly think that magazine size or weopon bans is going to limit the damage they would be able to do? I have NOT been in the military or the police, but I do have training in this type of warfare, and that is what this is, make no mistake about it. One can quite readily make a bomb out of bisquick, or pretty much anything else common. Any household items can be turned into weapons with just a bit of ingenuity. The man could have walked into that theater with a bloody sword or really big knife and killed as many people. Think about this. Lets say that all guns except for the police and military are banned. Whats to prevent someone bent on destruction from taking them from the police or the military and then using them on the population at large. Before you say thats not possible, let me remind you that it is being done as we speak somewhere in this world right now. You cannot prevent someone who is bent on destruction from doing it, they WILL find a way. Laws will not slow them down let alone deter them. We should be thanking our lucky stars it wasnt worse because it very well could have been. Easily. An armed populus will not stop the tragedy, but it may limit the damage. The reason he was able to do as much as he did was because frankly no one in that theater was armed. They were ,sad to say, but true, sheep being slaughtered by a wolf.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #1793
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Nope. I was refrencing your comparison of gun crimes in the US vs GB. Even in GB where "assault" weapons are illegal massacres still occur.



    So you're cool with the open carry of firearms, just as long as it's not in "towns"?
    You were referencing my comment to TD.

    Yes, I am quite comfortable with guns in rural areas, but not in cities and towns.
    Last edited by Moot; 07-24-12 at 12:43 AM.

  4. #1794
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Yes, I am quite comfortable with guns in rural areas, but not in cities and towns.
    that is why it is legal to shoot weapons in unincorporated townships and other similar rural areas but not on times square or Cincinnati's Fountain square.

    those are sensible restrictions. but if I live in NYC and have a place upstate its idiotic to say I have no right to EVEN possess a gun

    its like saying I should not posses a golf club in a Manhattan flat because I cannot play golf in that building

  5. #1795
    Advisor Romulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-28-14 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    324

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    You were referencing my comment to TD.

    Yes, I am quite comfortable with guns in rural areas, but not in cities and towns.
    Even those "assault" weapons with fancy do-dads like bayonet lugs, lasers, optics and pistol grips? Well, at least you're rhetorically consistent while being logically inconsistent.

  6. #1796
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Let me add this. The worlds best military is being tested by a bunch of people with noting more than AK-47s and outdated rpg's and anything else they can get their hands on. If you see some of the ways they come up with to fight us you would be quite frankly be amazed. Lets just say a couple of tires some plastic tubing and some other things can make for a very bad day for someone. Guns are a tool. You and I, we ARE the weapons.
    Last edited by PirateMk1; 07-24-12 at 12:55 AM. Reason: grammer
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #1797
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is why it is legal to shoot weapons in unincorporated townships and other similar rural areas but not on times square or Cincinnati's Fountain square.

    those are sensible restrictions. but if I live in NYC and have a place upstate its idiotic to say I have no right to EVEN possess a gun

    its like saying I should not posses a golf club in a Manhattan flat because I cannot play golf in that building
    I think you do have a right to possess a gun, but I question whether you have right to own assault weapons and I question whether you have a right to carry a concealed weapon in a city or town. I also question whether you have a right to possess a loaded gun unlocked in a home where children are present.

    It might surprise you to know that you can get arrested for having a baseball bat hidden behind the seat of your car especially if there are no baseballs or mitts present. It happened to a friend of mine.

    Jack Nickelson was arrested for using a golf club on the windshield of another motorist.

    I don't see either the baseball bat or the golf club getting banned because they serve more than one purpose and you stand a better chance of using self defense and surviving from a bat or golf club beating than you do a gun because of the close proximity needed to use them. Whereas a gun can be used from far away and you have no chance of self defense and little or no chance of surviving after you are shot.
    Last edited by Moot; 07-24-12 at 01:08 AM.

  8. #1798
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, that seems reasonable enough.
    I think there are reasonable ways to increase public safety without attacking rights, but those involve going after the criminals and the insane without banning the tools they use from innocent hands. For instance I have no problem with a CCW requirement as it gives officers a tool to take the criminals off the streets if they find a weapon on their person without a permit, the classes and permit cost money though, I think a competency test should be issued and the fee if any should be very low, if one can't pass the competency test then there are classes available. I don't like that we live in a world where a CCW requirement needs to exist, but that's the nature of illicit v. legal intent. I don't have a problem with certain people being restricted from purchase, but they must be proved to be dangerous or very close to that borderline.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #1799
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I think that private property should be able to ban whatever they want to. Including guns.

    It wouldn't have made a difference here, but if it's your property, you should be able to ban guns, cigarettes...hell, red t-shirts. I know there's a ban in my house against anything with a Miami Dolphins logo on it.
    My position here is not intended to be arrogant, hostile or condescending in any way, so I hope it not read as such. I do not walk around thinking I'm rambo or judge dread. This is a conscience, sober decision I sincerely feel is justified.

    ***
    Your house is not subject to Public Accommodation laws. I note a critical difference between private property you keep to your self, such as a residence, and private property you invite the public onto, such as a mall. Huge difference. If you owned that cinema you would not be able to ban, using your examples, red t-shirts or Miami Dolphin logos, because as-per Public Accommodation laws you have to allow patrons to express their right to dress as they wish while on your private property, as long as doing so doesn't otherwise brake any other law or disrupt your business.

    Likewise, my carrying a concealed gun into your business doesn't otherwise brake any other law, nor does it disrupt your business. therefore, I argue, a 'no-gun' rule is unconstitutional, exactly as if you were to ban gays from using your cinema. If I were gay and wanted to see a movie at your cinema, but you had a 'no-faggot' rule, I might go anyway and just keep my mouth shut. You would never be any the wiser.

    The worst-case-scenario of needing a gun and not having one far out weighs the worst-case-scenario of getting caught by the property owner.

    I'm sure pro-choicers who would help women have an abortion in the event of an abortion ban would agree with my general sentiment here.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-24-12 at 01:54 AM.

  10. #1800
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And for all these years I have been told that it is the left that does not respect private property rights.
    And the left doesn't, this doesn't change anything. Both sides of the isle have their hands dirty. The left will force all manor of bull**** environmental laws into your home, and the right will straight-up take your home away to put a pipeline there. The left and the right are both part of the same overbearing government.

    What distinguishes me from all of that is I'm a private citizen and I'm not trying to take anything from you. I just want to remain secure in my person and be able to defend myself from crime while doing business with you.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-24-12 at 02:10 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •