Page 172 of 182 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #1711
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    I wonder if he will get the death penalty or if he will plead insanity.

  2. #1712
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Problem is, though, in shall-issue states, there's nothing that anybody can do if they suspect a problem but the customer passes his or her background check.
    No, shall issue means that if everything checks out the issuing body has the right to issue but may ask further questions or delay issuance, must issue means that there is no scrutiny allowed if people can pass background checks. May issue is the tightest and completely up to the discretion of the issuing body, usually in states where discretion means "no".
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #1713
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,726

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No, shall issue means that if everything checks out the issuing body has the right to issue but may ask further questions or delay issuance, must issue means that there is no scrutiny allowed if people can pass background checks. May issue is the tightest and completely up to the discretion of the issuing body, usually in states where discretion means "no".
    Ah, gotcha. So there are some restrictions with shall-issue, but there's no leeway given to the powers-that-be to stop someone from buying a gun simply on a judgment call?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  4. #1714
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Ah, gotcha. So there are some restrictions with shall-issue, but there's no leeway given to the powers-that-be to stop someone from buying a gun simply on a judgment call?
    Not that I know of currently. I don't have a problem with smart policy, and would have no problem with say.....a relative or someone close to a suspicious person having the ability to sign an affadavit at least putting on hold their attempts to purchase or asking for further scrutiny on a particular individual basis, but it must protect people from false reporting.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #1715
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,726

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Not that I know of currently. I don't have a problem with smart policy, and would have no problem with say.....a relative or someone close to a suspicious person having the ability to sign an affadavit at least putting on hold their attempts to purchase or asking for further scrutiny on a particular individual basis, but it must protect people from false reporting.
    Yeah. And this is where it's gonna get tricky. Say a state bans selling firearms to someone with a known mental disorder. Well, does that include serious afflictions of sociopathy and bipolar disorders, or is anyone who has even mild depression prohibited from buying a gun? I'd call the first "iffy" and the second a clear step beyond "well-regulated." And then there's the issue of confidentiality. Unless a patient reveals that he or she is planning on committing violence against himself, herself, or other people, mental health doctors are sworn to confidentiality--which they should be. Should that confidentiality be broken in order to stop some people from buying guns that probably shouldn't buy them? Man...if anyone wants to tackle that can of worms, be my guest.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #1716
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Yeah. And this is where it's gonna get tricky. Say a state bans selling firearms to someone with a known mental disorder. Well, does that include serious afflictions of sociopathy and bipolar disorders, or is anyone who has even mild depression prohibited from buying a gun? I'd call the first "iffy" and the second a clear step beyond "well-regulated." And then there's the issue of confidentiality. Unless a patient reveals that he or she is planning on committing violence against himself, herself, or other people, mental health doctors are sworn to confidentiality--which they should be. Should that confidentiality be broken in order to stop some people from buying guns that probably shouldn't buy them? Man...if anyone wants to tackle that can of worms, be my guest.
    The current standard is involuntary commission to a mental facility, felony conviction, or dishonorable discharge. I am almost okay with that, I would take DD off of the table, allow someone who kept their nose clean for about 5-10 years to apply for full clemency and be fully reinstated, and have a "must be cleared" rule for involuntary commission to a facility. Then I would add the affadavit system, I think allowing for a flag based on a judicial order could serve that purpose satisfactorily without putting an undue burden on those who have no issues.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #1717
    Student CHARMtheMEDIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    12-03-12 @ 11:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I know of nobody who is talking of banning cars or firearms. The law puts restrictions on both however and limits what you can buy and use. That is not the same as a ban.
    You are wrong. I am not licensed to drive an 18 wheeler, but if I were so inclined I could buy one and use it. There are actually less restrictions on vehicles which have been more deadly and are not a constitutional right as there are on firearms which are a constitutional right and if used properly actually can save lives.
    http://facebook.com/charmnews
    criticizing media since the invention of idiocracy
    Follow me on Twitter @CHARMtheMEDIA

  8. #1718
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,608

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    For clarity: Colorado does not list malls and cinimas among it's 'restricted' or 'sensitive arias' such as government buildings and post secondary schools as gun-free zones. It was the cinema's own policy not to allow firearms.

    I would have carried into this cinema despite the policy.
    after the massacre that would be the sane thing to do

  9. #1719
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,608

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I know of nobody who is talking of banning cars or firearms. The law puts restrictions on both however and limits what you can buy and use. That is not the same as a ban.
    you are ignoring reality. there are lots of groups that want to ban handguns and semi automatic rifles that look scary.

  10. #1720
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,608

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Yes, owning a firearm is a right. Nobody is disputing that. Owning any firearm you want is not a right as the government can and does place limits on how you exercise that right.
    and that is because the FDR regime was dishonest. they had to delegate themselves the power that could not be found in the constitution or intended by the founders to be granted

    you are right, the federal government has given itself that power. But pardon me if I point out how blatantly dishonest and unconstitutional that delegation was

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •