Page 168 of 182 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #1671
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I have to present ID to buy a gun, that's the second codified right.
    Are you OK with you right to bear arms being subjected to that test?

    Voting was considered a priveledge under law until the 1920s.
    So? Freedom was considered a privilege until 1865. The founders got **** wrong. The appeal to authority/tradition argument you are making is still irrelevant to our discussion. Repeating it yet again hasn't changed that.





    It's not mythical at all.
    It is certainly mythical because it is being overblown by people who wish to do nothing more than legally suppress the votes of those who are more inclined to vote against their party.

    I mean, you can't really be naive enough to believe these tards who are calling for voter ID's are actually interested in stoppping that which they gleefully take part in when it benefits them.


    It's not mythical, they had people crossing the Wisconsin borders just this year to vote out of district against Scott Walker.
    And how did that work out for them?





    Actually Tuck, I'm getting at the nature of the rights. Voting rights had to be created even though they could have been assumed to exist based upon other principles. Like I said, if enough people vote for an idiot though we all suffer, not just people who happen to be in the wrong place when misuse happens. And, the less stringently we fight stupid votes and fraud the more of it will exist. BTW, gun control is something that depends upon prior restraint, or the assumption that the tool itself needs to be removed. Voter ID laws simply say "prove you are Mr. Calvin B. Johnson, esquire".
    SO are you saying you cannot use a logically valid and non-hypocritical argument justify your choice to designate the rights you wish to infringe as "created" ones, while designating those that you do not want infringed as "fundamental"?

    Because nothing you have written above does that.



    Sure, why not. Do you really think stupid and uninformed people should just vote party line and cancel you out?
    Question: What difference is there between a stupid uninformed voter who just votes party line and a stupid informed voter who just votes party line?

    Answer: Sweet **** all.

    The difference in my opinion is that I really do want to scrap our current system because I think it's ****ed.




    The only part that resembles democracy is the actual election.
    Yep. That's the democracy part of our Representative Democracy.

    After that the only voice you have is the person you elect.
    Yep. That's the representative part of our Representative Democracy.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #1672
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    How can anyone hate the Phins? It's been so long since we won anything important, well... I didn't think anyone who suffered at the hands of the phins could still be alive. Beside, Marino gimped around for like 8 years as a totally ineffective grampa-with-a-bad-hip quarterback. That was a HORRIBLE curse. We've suffered a lot. And we suck. We have sucked for years and years and years. I don't think even Jets fans have a right to hate us at this point. Heck, I don't think the Patriots can even see us anymore, let alone hate us. What's your problem?
    I was born and raised near Buffalo. My parents live about a mile from the Ralph. I learned a lot about rollerblades in the parking lot there. Bills until death!


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #1673
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Interesting experiment today. one of my employees got emotional this morning about the shooting and went on a rant about better gun laws. I briefly explained they are a waste of time but she countered with a strange claim: that a baseball bat was good enough for self defense. I dropped it so she could get back to work. Around lunch I stopped at c-store to get ice.....and a shiny new water pistol. (job is residential remodeling)

    After lunch I gave her an extension pole, walked about ten paces away and told her to try and hit me with it. She was perplexed until I showed her the water gun. She then said "that isn't fair" so I said I was uncomfortable with using a real gun for the experiment. I then explained that from that moment until the end of the day, if she could even touch me with the pole (extends to 12 feet long) before I could hit her with water she would get a paid day off tomorrow.

    She made a single attempt about an hour later and she ended up swinging blind because of the water hitting her face. She threw the pole down and stomped off. She did admit the point was made but she is so upset because she feels helpless. I think this is how many people feel and their emotions trump reason.

  4. #1674
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    Back to the original topic. I am relieved that this was probably not the action of a politically partisan offender. The OP and some other hacks were champing at the bit to score points by attempting to politicize the issue.

    We are a deeply divided nation. There are fewer things then that would drive the wedge further.
    Sorry I'm late answering your post.

    You make a good point .

    In my opinion doesn't make a difference if the political party is left , right or any other , if a mistake is being made it's still a mistake.
    To think different would be like me saying I am an Independent ,therefore I never ****up.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  5. #1675
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    You could not rightfully carry a gun in the movie theater.

    That is the ultimate restriction, is it not? And what was the result?
    To buy a gun you must pass a background check.
    After Virginia tech a lot of people question just how hard these background checks go , but the background checks stayed the same, after Arizona some people again questioned the background checks
    After the Denver shootings once again people are questioning these background checks.

    Meanwhile the NRA makes another speech while politicians plead sympathy and wished this hadn't happened.
    Maybe with stricter background checks it won't happen again.

    Maybe if a politician had the balls to pass a law without fear of hurting some big organizations feelings this might be prevented in the future.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  6. #1676
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    Sorry I'm late answering your post.

    You make a good point .

    In my opinion doesn't make a difference if the political party is left , right or any other , if a mistake is being made it's still a mistake.
    To think different would be like me saying I am an Independent ,therefore I never ****up.
    It doesn't apply here but sometimes these social shootings have political motivations underscored by the far right such as the Adkins church shooting or the attempted assassination on Giffords.

  7. #1677
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    You seem reluctant to accept the inescapable fact as long as people are alive, there are going to be murders. Sometimes one or two victims and sometimes many more. It doesn't mean we do not seek ways to prevent them but it does mean realizing **** happens.
    I do realize **** happens , but even so ,one need not supply the ****. for **** to happen.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  8. #1678
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    Interesting experiment today. one of my employees got emotional this morning about the shooting and went on a rant about better gun laws. I briefly explained they are a waste of time but she countered with a strange claim: that a baseball bat was good enough for self defense. I dropped it so she could get back to work. Around lunch I stopped at c-store to get ice.....and a shiny new water pistol. (job is residential remodeling)

    After lunch I gave her an extension pole, walked about ten paces away and told her to try and hit me with it. She was perplexed until I showed her the water gun. She then said "that isn't fair" so I said I was uncomfortable with using a real gun for the experiment. I then explained that from that moment until the end of the day, if she could even touch me with the pole (extends to 12 feet long) before I could hit her with water she would get a paid day off tomorrow.

    She made a single attempt about an hour later and she ended up swinging blind because of the water hitting her face. She threw the pole down and stomped off. She did admit the point was made but she is so upset because she feels helpless. I think this is how many people feel and their emotions trump reason.
    That is a very good experiament I think I am gona steal it.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #1679
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    Interesting experiment today. one of my employees got emotional this morning about the shooting and went on a rant about better gun laws. I briefly explained they are a waste of time but she countered with a strange claim: that a baseball bat was good enough for self defense. I dropped it so she could get back to work. Around lunch I stopped at c-store to get ice.....and a shiny new water pistol. (job is residential remodeling)

    After lunch I gave her an extension pole, walked about ten paces away and told her to try and hit me with it. She was perplexed until I showed her the water gun. She then said "that isn't fair" so I said I was uncomfortable with using a real gun for the experiment. I then explained that from that moment until the end of the day, if she could even touch me with the pole (extends to 12 feet long) before I could hit her with water she would get a paid day off tomorrow.

    She made a single attempt about an hour later and she ended up swinging blind because of the water hitting her face. She threw the pole down and stomped off. She did admit the point was made but she is so upset because she feels helpless. I think this is how many people feel and their emotions trump reason.

    Wow, you should her...

  10. #1680
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Are you OK with you right to bear arms being subjected to that test?
    I actually have no problem with that, what I have a problem with is the idea of registration after the fact. It's the law of the land that felons and those involuntarily committed to mental health institutions may not own weapons and the only way to enforce that is an ID requirement. If the law changed to allow those individuals to possess then that debate can be renewed.



    So? Freedom was considered a privilege until 1865. The founders got **** wrong. The appeal to authority/tradition argument you are making is still irrelevant to our discussion. Repeating it yet again hasn't changed that.
    No, the founders own writings admitted they were hypocritical about what rights applied to whom. They knew slavery was wrong and admitted as much, however they made it clear that voting wasn't a right. Agree or disagree that is the history.







    It is certainly mythical because it is being overblown by people who wish to do nothing more than legally suppress the votes of those who are more inclined to vote against their party.
    Here's the difference, only criminals engage in fraud, the ID requirement is to make sure fewer of them do so. This does not pertain to the right to keep and bear, in which criminals and citizens in good standing engage, yet I have to prove who I am to engage in my second amendment rights, whereas people are arguing that a priveledge converted to a right does not hold the same scrutiny.

    I mean, you can't really be naive enough to believe these tards who are calling for voter ID's are actually interested in stoppping that which they gleefully take part in when it benefits them.
    Actually, stopping fraud is stopping fraud, doesn't matter which side is engaging/not engaging.




    And how did that work out for them?
    It didn't work THAT time. If an election comes down to less than 1k votes it could make a difference.







    SO are you saying you cannot use a logically valid and non-hypocritical argument justify your choice to designate the rights you wish to infringe as "created" ones, while designating those that you do not want infringed as "fundamental"?
    I'm saying it's an apples to elephants comparison. My right to keep and bear has existed throughout our history, the right to vote not so much. Yet the newer right is expected to carry less scrutiny? You cannot see my point here? Less people suffer misuse of a weapon than a fraudulent election, not trying to be callous but that is a fact.

    Because nothing you have written above does that.
    Sure it does if you follow the logic.




    Question: What difference is there between a stupid uninformed voter who just votes party line and a stupid informed voter who just votes party line?

    Answer: Sweet **** all.
    I can't stand either, but is not an uninformed vote just as dangerous as an idiot with a gun? If I as a citizen held a gun to your head and demanded 45% of your income is it not just as bad to elect someone to effect policy to do the same?

    The difference in my opinion is that I really do want to scrap our current system because I think it's ****ed.
    I disagree, the "two party system" is, not the fundamentals behind the republic.






    Yep. That's the democracy part of our Representative Democracy.
    Democracy is direct vote on law, the only part we held over was direct vote of those who make it, and with prior restrictions upon even their authority.......at least when they play by the rules and don't make **** up as they go along.



    Yep. That's the representative part of our Representative Democracy.
    Same response as prior.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •