Page 166 of 182 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #1651
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Two party politics pushes people and issues towards compromise and the center. A rogue party cannot simply flap around in the fringe with a couple percent and actually get people into congress to spout extremist crap. The US 2 party system also prevents a wave of "do it in the street" by offering these two flavors: economic authoritarianism or social authoritarianism; in this way, someone must pick one or the other and our cart doesn't fly off its wheels.

    I'd prefer a more diverse, multiparty system, but let's not ignore the why and whatfor of the US 2 party system.
    To a degree, yes, but it doesn't change the fact that the entire election system, as it stands now and has stood for more than a century, is entirely designed around populism and voter ignorance.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #1652
    Student CHARMtheMEDIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    12-03-12 @ 11:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why do you not want to honor the innocent dead?

    Why do you want to play ostrich and ignore the reality that in a society which allows hundreds of million of guns there will be "collateral damage" of innocent people which forces you to fantasize about gang raping a person to death as a suitable punishment?

    I have said repeatedly that I feel the Second Amendment and gun ownership does more good than it does harm. But to pretend that there is not a dark side to owning guns and a society which has them in the numbers we do is simply playing ostrich and ignoring reality.

    You and I differ on one main thing Turtle - I DO NOT believe guns are an absolute pure good. They can be a very negative and destructive force. That does not make me anti gun any more than accepting the tens of thousands killed on the highways each year makes me ANTI CAR.

    But such distinctions are beyond the thought of an extremist.
    Society allows us to buy cars, and thus far vehicles have been far more deadly. Should we ban cars? Maybe we should just ban cars that can drive fast? Or maybe just maybe we can accept the fact that the world will never be perfect.
    Just as it is illegal to drive 200mph there are illegal things you can do with a gun too. The thing is, banning guns will not stop things like this. Crazed psychos will find a way to be crazed psychos. If I were a crazed psycho I would be all for gun control. Then I could be assured no moral citizen would be armed to stop me. Furthermore, if I were one of the victims, advocating gun control would not be an honor. It would be a disgrace.
    Last edited by CHARMtheMEDIA; 07-23-12 at 02:59 PM.
    http://facebook.com/charmnews
    criticizing media since the invention of idiocracy
    Follow me on Twitter @CHARMtheMEDIA

  3. #1653
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by CHARMtheMEDIA View Post
    Society allows us to buy cars, and thus far vehicles have been far more deadly. Should we ban cars? Maybe we should just ban cars that can drive fast? Or maybe just maybe we can accept the fact that the world will never be perfect.
    Just as it is illegal to drive 200mph there are illegal things you can do with a gun too. The thing is, banning guns will not stop things like this. Crazed psychos will find a way to be crazed psychos. If I were a crazed psycho I would be all for gun control. Then I could be assured no moral citizen would be armed to stop me.
    I know of nobody who is talking of banning cars or firearms. The law puts restrictions on both however and limits what you can buy and use. That is not the same as a ban.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #1654
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I know of nobody who is talking of banning cars or firearms. The law puts restrictions on both however and limits what you can buy and use. That is not the same as a ban.
    But you ignore a key FACT. Driving is, and always was, a state issued PRIVILEGE. The right to keep AND BEAR arms is a constitutionally protected RIGHT of the people IN ALL STATES. I am sick and tired of the same MORONS, that assert that a simple voter ID law is an "unfair, discriminatory burden", calling for super expensive CCW PERMITS for the right to keep and bear arms. If you want firearms training, offer it, if you want tests and IDs then offer them BUT, at no more cost than for the right to vote. We must recognize the KEY, and basic, differences between constitutional rights and state issued privileges.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 07-23-12 at 03:10 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #1655
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I know of nobody who is talking of banning cars or firearms. The law puts restrictions on both however and limits what you can buy and use. That is not the same as a ban.
    Would you assert that a fee of $240 for the right to vote is not an effective ban to many? A ban need not be absolute, if you make something hard enough, less people can afford the class, pass the test or pay the fee. As long as the EXACT same requirements exist for the right to vote as for the right to bear arms, I am all for it.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #1656
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Freedom wasn't a "right" for most of history by that logic. Just because a right was infringed upon doesn't mean it wasn't a right.
    Actually, that's one of the few "rights" that wasn't hypocritcal. It was never considered a right but rather a priveledge. One had to be male, over 21, a property owner, a few other politically incorrect standards, etc.
    It was never codified as a right though until later amendments to the U.S.C.


    I oppose all ineffectual laws that do more to inhibit the legal exercising of rights than they do to prevent crime. Voter ID laws are just such a thing. They purport to eliminate a nearly mythical problem with something that serves to make it harder for law abiding citizens to vote.
    Except voter fraud isn't mythical, it's been a known since voting existed in this country. Hell, last couple of elections there were precints that recorded more votes than registered voters.


    That's such an absurd belief, given the fact that most people's votes don't even matter. Most irresponsible votes do absolutely nothing. Whereas irresponsible gun ownership kills people.
    Um, I've never been killed by an irresponsible use of gun, my vote has been negated as have others due to voter fraud. Not everyone will suffer a negligent firearm act, statistically most of us never will, but we all suffer when a clown gets elected.



    Then you really do not want a democracy, because when you get right down to it democracy is government of the idiots, by the idiots, for the idiots.
    You're right, I don't want a Democracy, I want to preserve the Democratic Republic that the U.S. was founded upon.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #1657
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why do you not want to honor the innocent dead?

    Why do you want to play ostrich and ignore the reality that in a society which allows hundreds of million of guns there will be "collateral damage" of innocent people which forces you to fantasize about gang raping a person to death as a suitable punishment?

    I have said repeatedly that I feel the Second Amendment and gun ownership does more good than it does harm. But to pretend that there is not a dark side to owning guns and a society which has them in the numbers we do is simply playing ostrich and ignoring reality.

    You and I differ on one main thing Turtle - I DO NOT believe guns are an absolute pure good. They can be a very negative and destructive force. That does not make me anti gun any more than accepting the tens of thousands killed on the highways each year makes me ANTI CAR.

    But such distinctions are beyond the thought of an extremist.
    I enjoy this post because it was the cinema's policy not to allow patrons to defend themselves.

    Where was the crimina's Type-1 Federal Firearms License to own, posses, carry and use explosives and destructive devices?
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-23-12 at 03:22 PM.

  8. #1658
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Hmmm, how many guns did Timothy McVeigh and the unabomber use? I don't seem to recall.

  9. #1659
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Actually, that's one of the few "rights" that wasn't hypocritcal. It was never considered a right but rather a priveledge. One had to be male, over 21, a property owner, a few other politically incorrect standards, etc.
    It was never codified as a right though until later amendments to the U.S.C.

    So you believe that rights are granted by the government?


    Except voter fraud isn't mythical, it's been a known since voting existed in this country. Hell, last couple of elections there were precints that recorded more votes than registered voters.
    And voter ID's won't stop voter fraud. It'll stop a mythical problem rather than a real one.


    Um, I've never been killed by an irresponsible use of gun, my vote has been negated as have others due to voter fraud. Not everyone will suffer a negligent firearm act, statistically most of us never will, but we all suffer when a clown gets elected.
    So the only thing that matter is if it happens to you?!?!!?



    You're right, I don't want a Democracy, I want to preserve the Democratic Republic that the U.S. was founded upon.
    It's still a democracy, just a representative one. As such, it is still a government of the idiots, by the idiots, for the idiots.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #1660
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    But you ignore a key FACT. Driving is, and always was, a state issued PRIVILEGE. The right to keep AND BEAR arms is a constitutionally protected RIGHT of the people IN ALL STATES. I am sick and tired of the same MORONS, that assert that a simple voter ID law is an "unfair, discriminatory burden", calling for super expensive CCW PERMITS for the right to keep and bear arms. If you want firearms training, offer it, if you want tests and IDs then offer them BUT, at no more cost than for the right to vote. We must recognize the KEY, and basic, differences between constitutional rights and state issued privileges.
    Yes, owning a firearm is a right. Nobody is disputing that. Owning any firearm you want is not a right as the government can and does place limits on how you exercise that right.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •