Page 165 of 182 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #1641
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Vote control has more history than gun control if you look back far enough. Unlike the 2nd voting was a priveledge until the early 20th century.
    Freedom wasn't a "right" for most of history by that logic. Just because a right was infringed upon doesn't mean it wasn't a right.

    Now, do I disagree with it being a right? No. Do I think it's more important to prove your identity to choose leadership than it is to buy adult materials? Absolutely.
    I oppose all ineffectual laws that do more to inhibit the legal exercising of rights than they do to prevent crime. Voter ID laws are just such a thing. They purport to eliminate a nearly mythical problem with something that serves to make it harder for law abiding citizens to vote.

    Hell, I'm of the opinion that one irresponsible vote hurts more people than any gun ever did
    That's such an absurd belief, given the fact that most people's votes don't even matter. Most irresponsible votes do absolutely nothing. Whereas irresponsible gun ownership kills people.

    and wish we could eliminate the uninformed votes on both sides. Not the votes I disagree with mind you but the ones that are basically less thought out than a lever pull on a slot machine.
    Then you really do not want a democracy, because when you get right down to it democracy is government of the idiots, by the idiots, for the idiots.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #1642
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    FThen you really do not want a democracy, because when you get right down to it democracy is government of the idiots, by the idiots, for the idiots.
    There's a reason why the founders built in protections against popularism in our Republic.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #1643
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There's a reason why the founders built in protections against popularism in our Republic.
    Yet the protections failed because the system has a major design flaw: winner-take-all elections were possible. These systems breed two-party politics, two party politics feeds off of populism and ignorance.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #1644
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,009

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There's a reason why the founders built in protections against popularism in our Republic.
    Yes there is and it has a whole lot with just who they were and what class they tended to represent.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #1645
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Yet the protections failed because the system has a major design flaw: winner-take-all elections were possible. These systems breed two-party politics, two party politics feeds off of populism and ignorance.
    It was eventually engineered to do that, yes. But the winner take all was another protectionism against popularism as was the electoral voting system. The fact that we stopped regulating government, watching it, and restricting it has certainly lead to a level of intervention within the system to close off political competition and promote oligarchy. But the system isn't quite "self sustaining" to start with. It's a Republic, if you can keep it. That's always been the deal, it's a Republic if we can keep it. Which means it must be kept, it will not keep itself, and if We the People fail to uphold this Republic, we will lose it. And perhaps that was the biggest failure of all, relying on the People to be attentive and intelligent in their duty to uphold the Republic.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #1646
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Now I want to buy an M1A/M21/M25 even more.

    One man with a scoped rifle would have stopped most of this tragedy.
    You can't carry a rifle around in public, and certainly not into a movie theater.

  7. #1647
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Yet the protections failed because the system has a major design flaw: winner-take-all elections were possible. These systems breed two-party politics, two party politics feeds off of populism and ignorance.
    Two party politics pushes people and issues towards compromise and the center. A rogue party cannot simply flap around in the fringe with a couple percent and actually get people into congress to spout extremist crap. The US 2 party system also prevents a wave of "do it in the street" by offering these two flavors: economic authoritarianism or social authoritarianism; in this way, someone must pick one or the other and our cart doesn't fly off its wheels.

    I'd prefer a more diverse, multiparty system, but let's not ignore the why and whatfor of the US 2 party system.

  8. #1648
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Two party politics pushes people and issues towards compromise and the center. A rogue party cannot simply flap around in the fringe with a couple percent and actually get people into congress to spout extremist crap. The US 2 party system also prevents a wave of "do it in the street" by offering these two flavors: economic authoritarianism or social authoritarianism; in this way, someone must pick one or the other and our cart doesn't fly off its wheels.

    I'd prefer a more diverse, multiparty system, but let's not ignore the why and whatfor of the US 2 party system.
    While it is true that in our dynamics, we favor 2 major parties our system isn't exactly (or rather initially wasn't) a 2 party system as our system was not designed for parties.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #1649
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It was eventually engineered to do that, yes. But the winner take all was another protectionism against popularism as was the electoral voting system.

    Winner-take all isn't a protection against populism, though. It all but guarantees that a two party system emerges. Two-party systems are entirely about populism. The supposed protection against populism assured it would become the norm.

    In fact, it didn't take long at all for it to become all about populism. Definitely by the time Jackson was elected we were a populist nation.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #1650
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungConserv View Post
    The theater was in a gun free zone.
    For clarity: Colorado does not list malls and cinimas among it's 'restricted' or 'sensitive arias' such as government buildings and post secondary schools as gun-free zones. It was the cinema's own policy not to allow firearms.

    I would have carried into this cinema despite the policy.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-23-12 at 03:09 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •