Page 139 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1817

Thread: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

  1. #1381
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I don't like where you're going with the whole minority population thing; the shooter in this incident was white, after all. However, you raise a highly underrated point about the reporting of crimes. A major factor contributing to violent crime in impoverished neighborhoods is that gangs terrorize many people from taking the witness stand. Thus, the thugs have a lot of impunity. And what is the fuel for gang-related activity? Illegal drugs.

    It seems to me that if we decriminalized and then regulated drugs, we could crash the drug black market, starving gangs of their power. There'd be far less desire to burglarize a home if a drug costs $50 per ounce than if it cost $1000 per ounce.
    I agree that making recreational drugs, including alcohol, illegal places the criminal distribution gangs in a highly profitable, thus powerful, position. Many assert that doing this very thing with firearms is the solution to gun violence. Ignoring the rule, and focusing on the exception, does not change the rule. Minority and gang crime is STILL the real issue, yet Obama does not visit Chicago to address the NORMAL gun crime, he instead visits CO to address the rare event of a crazed lone killer, that happened to have used firearms instead of a bomb to commit mass murder. CO is, after all, a swing state and the opportunity to "care" for these victims makes political sense, whereas Chicago will vote for Obama regardless of whether he "feels their pain".

    My point is that as a people we seem to ACCEPT the gun crime (and all other crime) in "urban areas" as expected, yet express SHOCK that it can happen to "normal" people in the suburbs. The race of the perp makes no difference to me, nor does the race of the victims. It is the fact that the call to "do something" comes ONLY when it happens to "nice" and "regular" people, in "nice"' and "regular" areas of the country. Much like Obama immigration policy, that seeks to enforce the law only on "the worst of the worst" and the rest of us must simply accept the presense of "nice" illegal aliens and support them "properly" with our tax money. Once you accept SOME illegal activity it is only natural that it continue to progress to push the limits, making even more of it fall into the "acceptable" crime category.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #1382
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,753

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I agree that making recreational drugs, including alcohol, illegal places the criminal distribution gangs in a highly profitable, thus powerful, position. Many assert that doing this very thing with firearms is the solution to gun violence. Ignoring the rule, and focusing on the exception, does not change the rule. Minority and gang crime is STILL the real issue, yet Obama does not visit Chicago to address the NORMAL gun crime, he instead visits CO to address the rare event of a crazed lone killer, that happened to have used firearms instead of a bomb to commit mass murder. CO is, after all, a swing state and the opportunity to "care" for these victims makes political sense, whereas Chicago will vote for Obama regardless of whether he "feels their pain".
    Eh, it's politics. Either party would do that. But yeah, one can just look at the effects of Prohibition to see what can happen when drugs are banned.

    My point is that as a people we seem to ACCEPT the gun crime (and all other crime) in "urban areas" as expected, yet express SHOCK that it can happen to "normal" people in the suburbs. The race of the perp makes no difference to me, nor does the race of the victims. It is the fact that the call to "do something" comes ONLY when it happens to "nice" and "regular" people, in "nice"' and "regular" areas of the country. Much like Obama immigration policy, that seeks to enforce the law only on "the worst of the worst" and the rest of us must simply accept the presense of "nice" illegal aliens and support them "properly" with our tax money. Once you accept SOME illegal activity it is only natural that it continue to progress to push the limits, making even more of it fall into the "acceptable" crime category.
    I definitely agree with that first sentence. What happened in Aurora was tragic, make no mistake. But when the same number of people die in ghettos, spread among several shootings, we tend to write them off as "today's murder." It's almost as if crime has to be taken to us to get our attention.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #1383
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    If you were exclusively discussing injuries by vehicles as I was about injuries by firearms then you are correct.
    It is not pragmatic even while tripping on acid.

  4. #1384
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Exactly. Deal with the problem, not the symptoms.
    Yes, but deal with it, ffs. The pro-GC's seem to have the wrong target, the anti-GC's have their heads in the sand.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #1385
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Eh, it's politics. Either party would do that. But yeah, one can just look at the effects of Prohibition to see what can happen when drugs are banned.



    I definitely agree with that first sentence. What happened in Aurora was tragic, make no mistake. But when the same number of people die in ghettos, spread among several shootings, we tend to write them off as "today's murder." It's almost as if crime has to be taken to us to get our attention.
    Good point. Fresno CA has had 36 gun murders so far this year, according to the local news. That's where it goes, local news, ho, hum, another gang related killing in Fresno, some dude with pants hung to his knees is dead on the street, his rival gangbangers fled in a car, most likely stolen.

    Someone goes into a theater and commits mass murder, and it makes national news.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #1386
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Good point. Fresno CA has had 36 gun murders so far this year, according to the local news. That's where it goes, local news, ho, hum, another gang related killing in Fresno, some dude with pants hung to his knees is dead on the street, his rival gangbangers fled in a car, most likely stolen.

    Someone goes into a theater and commits mass murder, and it makes national news.
    Here is revealing aspect: the majority are middle class white males and have been for over 13 straight years but people still act shocked when the shooter is a white male. What's more, white males are not profiled as criminals.

    It is only the victims causing the coverage. Can we get more Holloway? (last I heard....her suspect killer is in jail for murdering another young woman)

  7. #1387
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    having actually studied "Active shooters" professionally, in almost every case, the active shooter gives up or kills himself when confronted with potentially lethal force
    And how does this help the innocent people that have been killed how?

    Have you heard of prevenitive measures?
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  8. #1388
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    Here is revealing aspect: the majority are middle class white males and have been for over 13 straight years but people still act shocked when the shooter is a white male. What's more, white males are not profiled as criminals.

    It is only the victims causing the coverage. Can we get more Holloway? (last I heard....her suspect killer is in jail for murdering another young woman)

    Actually that isn't correct. It is well known to criminal profilers and most educated cops that the vast majority of serial killers and mass murderers are white males, typically between 20-35 yo.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #1389
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    And how does this help the innocent people that have been killed how?

    Have you heard of prevenitive measures?
    The sooner armed force arrives, the fewer people killed. Armed citizen on the scene > cops on the way.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #1390
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,695

    Re: Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver [W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Would your opinion of Mr. Freeman's performance change if you knew that he recently contributed $1 million to Obama's superPAC?
    I have to say, that I have no idea what that has to do with Morgan Freeman's abilities in front of camera. Jon Voight for instance, is in my view a very very good actor; particulalry since he's gotten older and ahs been playing that "old gruff tough guy" character, but he's about as right-wing as they get: and hideously so!

    I think you're trying to mix apples and oranges here.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •