Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 127 of 127

Thread: Canadians Now Richer Than Americans

  1. #121
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Canadians Now Richer Than Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Doesn't address my point. People are better off now than they have been in the past.

    It addresses your point perfectly, you are just too out of touch with half the country to be aware of it. We'll see if the working poor and unemployed agree with you in November.


    All it says is that demand hasn't grown as fast. You're not denouncing that people aren't better off than they were in the past. You're just pointing out that growth isn't as quick as it has been.
    You've got your work cut out for you trying to convince people that large numbers of the working class sliding onto poverty is a good thing!


    We're talking about the Bush tax cuts. You want to go back to the 70% tax rate?
    No one has proposed 70 % tax rates. What has been proposed is eliminating Bush's temporary tax cuts for the wealthy.




    From your source:



    So I guess all the effects would be temporary, at least according to your source.
    Also from my source:

    "You can call this a fiscal cliff. You can call it Taxmageddon as others have done," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah. "Whatever you call it, it will be a disaster for the middle class. And it will be a disaster for the small businesses that will be the engine of our economic recovery."

    The results of the elections will have a lot to do with the ultimate solution, but several top lawmakers predict the current Congress will punt the issue into 2013 for the newly-elected Congress and whoever occupies the White House to deal with.

    "CBO observes that simply extending all of our current tax and spending policies will produce unsustainable deficits and debt, which will also send the economy into decline," said Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., the top Democrat on the Budget Committee. "We need to act and we must do so in a balanced way."



    Of course not. How could they be? That doesn't change the fact that everyone one was better off for it. I'm curious why it pains you so much to admit that.
    It pains me when someone is trying to pass off untruths. The facts show that our tax system has become less progressive over the last 30 years and helped contribute to most of the countries wealth being concentrated at the top, out of reach of the majority of consumers need to to create a demand to drive our consumer based economy. 6 of the Walton heirs own as much wealth as 30% of the US population. Our economy cannot prosper with this much wealth inequality, and as Clinton noted, "Its the economy stupid!"
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #122
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Canadians Now Richer Than Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Canada is not afraid to go after it's energy resources so they are experiencing an energy boom country wide like ND is in this country. That could be happening here too but good olé obama and the Dem's have kept us off the playing field.
    Truth. Really hoping Romney isn't this stupid.

  3. #123
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,201

    Re: Canadians Now Richer Than Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Truth. Really hoping Romney isn't this stupid.
    That is true we are explotiung our energy resources but at the expense of everyone and everything else.

  4. #124
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadians Now Richer Than Americans

    Yeah, but Canadians don't get to carry guns like we do, so we're obviously more free, and better off, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Canadians Now Richer Than Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    That is true we are explotiung our energy resources but at the expense of everyone and everything else.
    C02 emissions have decreased because of fracking. Technology is showing us the way. Not inept Centralized Government.

    Institute for Energy Research | U.S. Energy-Related Carbon Dioxide Emissions Are Declining

    Want to know what is at the EXPENSE of everyone else?

    Solyndra bankruptcy may be a total loss for taxpayers - Sep. 30, 2011

  6. #126
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Canadians Now Richer Than Americans

    The wealth of Canadians is tied up in homes that are priced at very high levels compared to similar homes in most of the US. (NYC, California and possibly coastal Florida being excepted)

    A $400 000 home where I live is only about 1800 sq feet, no pool and you may or may not get a double car garage. The home that Tesseque (sp) bought in Texas for less then $100 000 would have cost over $360 000, and most likely be on a smaller lot.

    The uppper class in the US are far richer then the upper class in Canada, with far more money invested outside of their primary home. The US does have a far higher number of millionaires based on % of population then does Canada.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  7. #127
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Canadians Now Richer Than Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It addresses your point perfectly, you are just too out of touch with half the country to be aware of it. We'll see if the working poor and unemployed agree with you in November.
    Now it's populist crap? Why do you bother posting if you don't have an argument?

    You've got your work cut out for you trying to convince people that large numbers of the working class sliding onto poverty is a good thing!
    I implied no such thing. You keep changing your argument because you have none.

    No one has proposed 70 % tax rates. What has been proposed is eliminating Bush's temporary tax cuts for the wealthy.
    Then why are you bringing up the Reagan cuts?


    Also from my source:

    "You can call this a fiscal cliff. You can call it Taxmageddon as others have done," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah. "Whatever you call it, it will be a disaster for the middle class. And it will be a disaster for the small businesses that will be the engine of our economic recovery."

    The results of the elections will have a lot to do with the ultimate solution, but several top lawmakers predict the current Congress will punt the issue into 2013 for the newly-elected Congress and whoever occupies the White House to deal with.

    "CBO observes that simply extending all of our current tax and spending policies will produce unsustainable deficits and debt, which will also send the economy into decline," said Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., the top Democrat on the Budget Committee. "We need to act and we must do so in a balanced way."
    It seems the CBO believes ending ALL tax cuts would be long term beneficial. Perhaps a better way would be reduced spending, and saving tax hikes for when the economy is more stable.

    It pains me when someone is trying to pass off untruths.
    Why do you hurt yourself?

    The facts show that our tax system has become less progressive over the last 30 years and helped contribute to most of the countries wealth being concentrated at the top, out of reach of the majority of consumers need to to create a demand to drive our consumer based economy.
    The facts also show that even those in poverty in America are better off than they were in the past. The facts also show that GDP is still growing, meaning demand is still rising, despite income distribution.

    6 of the Walton heirs own as much wealth as 30% of the US population. Our economy cannot prosper with this much wealth inequality, and as Clinton noted, "Its the economy stupid!"
    You still haven't demonstrated this.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •