Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

  1. #1
    Guru
    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,182

    US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    An American vessel fired on a boat Monday off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, killing one person and injuring three, according to a U.S. consular official in Dubai.

    The official gave no other details, but it appeared the boat could have been mistaken as a threat in Gulf waters not far from Iran's maritime boundaries.

    Rescue workers were seen carrying one person in a body bag off the boat and placing it in an ambulance as fishermen looked on. Officials moved the boat from the harbor shortly afterward.
    Official: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead - ABC News

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    ^^^
    more on that

    16 Jul 2012


  3. #3
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    On it's face it seems as if this was a legal maneuver by the US ship.

    "U.S. officials said the incident was under investigation by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and Dubai police. But as details emerged, it appeared the fishing boat had been heading into port and had strayed too close to a Navy ship on high alert, rather than attempting an attack.

    The incident highlighted the rising tensions between the U.S. and Iran over the narrow strait, a choke point for much of the world's oil shipments from the Middle East. Navy vessels are on special alert for small craft, which Iran has used to shadow and sometimes harass ships in the gulf, and have permission to use lethal force to halt boats that draw too close."



    U.S. ship fires on fishing boat in Persian Gulf, killing 1 - latimes.com

  4. #4
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    Navy ships have a certain area around them that they simply will not let other ships or aircraft enter. Numerous attempts will be made to get the other craft to move away, but if they do not, the ship's captain's primary responsibility is to his sailors and his ship.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,683
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    It was only a matter of time, with all the tensions and Iranian threats. I'm confused why the boat kept coming at a high rate of speed after seeing 50 cal bullets being sprayed in the water in front of it, though. Seems to me that warning shots in front of the bow are the universal translator.

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    It was only a matter of time, with all the tensions and Iranian threats. I'm confused why the boat kept coming at a high rate of speed after seeing 50 cal bullets being sprayed in the water in front of it, though. Seems to me that warning shots in front of the bow are the universal translator.
    99 times out of 99 it is a pissing match kinda thing, and speaking as some one who has been on a ship being approached by other craft like this, it sucks because the ship gets called to GQ every single time, and the skipper then wants to do drills since we are already at GQ...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #7
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    Apparently, the guy was a dumbass. Small boat, gets too close to vastly larger boat. Larger boat gives warning as mandated by ROE, little boat continues to approach the larger boat who is trying to tell it to **** off. Natural selection ensues.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #8
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Navy ships have a certain area around them that they simply will not let other ships or aircraft enter. Numerous attempts will be made to get the other craft to move away, but if they do not, the ship's captain's primary responsibility is to his sailors and his ship.

    These matters heighten that level of responsibility, "U.S. officials said the Rappahannock was heading into Jebel Ali when crew members saw the smaller boat moving toward it from about 1,200 yards away. A civilian crew sails the Rappahannock, but a Navy security team is aboard to protect the ship. "The U.S. crew repeatedly attempted to warn the vessel's operators to turn away from their deliberate approach," the Navy statement said. U.S. officials said the fishermen ignored warnings by radio, loudspeakers and flashing lights before the Navy security team opened fire."

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    These matters heighten that level of responsibility, "U.S. officials said the Rappahannock was heading into Jebel Ali when crew members saw the smaller boat moving toward it from about 1,200 yards away. A civilian crew sails the Rappahannock, but a Navy security team is aboard to protect the ship. "The U.S. crew repeatedly attempted to warn the vessel's operators to turn away from their deliberate approach," the Navy statement said. U.S. officials said the fishermen ignored warnings by radio, loudspeakers and flashing lights before the Navy security team opened fire."
    What can you do in this situation?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: US Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, 1 Dead

    Looks like this was a test to see how the USN would respond. Now they know. The USN ship gave them ample warning through a variety of methods. 50 cal rounds striking off their bows could have woken the dead, and even an idiot could figure out what that means.

    Still, it won't be long now before the USN is accused of attacking civilians just for ****s and giggles. Al Jazeera is probably spinning that one up right now.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •