Page 73 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #721
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    huh? WHAT should be applied liberally? I am a bit confused as to what, specifically, you are referencing.
    wasn't meant for you specifically, it is about Harshaw's signature quote
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #722
    Advisor Romulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-28-14 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    324

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    So how would you suggest that we fund the building and maintaining of roads in the country(I assume that is one of the things you are referring to when you say "infrastructure")? This sounds like a good place to begin.
    Funding isn't an issue, about 70 to 75% of highways and interstates are funded through users fees. Which is cool with me but that funding mechanism should be 100% user fees. Raising the capital required for infrastructure doesn't justify the bloated multi-billion dollar federal bureaucratic institutions that we have. In fact, the agencies taxed with raising funding for highways are separate from those who "build" highways. I intentionally use scare quotes there because the government doesn't build highways, private contractors do.

  3. #723
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    What branch of the military did Obama serve in?
    Please explain why it matters to you.

  4. #724
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    I know perfectly well what the two ideas represent and I still contend that the two of them(capitalism and socialism) can, have and should continue to coexist as a counterbalance against one another.
    We've successfully pulled that very system off for generations in this country! It's not new. It's not radical. What's new and radical is the move by the right to destroy government so that it can no longer act as an intermediary between the free market and the well-being of the citizenry.
    They can't. One naturally destories the other and the principles it lays out. Regardless, that is not what you said before.

    Also, I am not sure I understood your "argument for taxes made by those like youself" statement when you referenced my Marxism comment. It was a bit lacking in specificity but am I to take it that you mean by my supporting a progressive tax system I am a Marxist?
    I call you a planned economy socialist because that is what you are. The progressive tax system is a system of theft by the state to interfere with the distribution of resources, and yes, that is socialist. The argument of funding the state has little to do with the argument behind the progressive tax system and you shouldn't confuse the two.

  5. #725
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    It is not possible to be 100% socialist and 100% capitalist at the same time and I did not intend to imply that was so. If I did, it was sloppy writing on my part. It is, however, possible to support elements of socialism and capitalism in the same economic system. In other words, you can embrace elements of both systems. And, most importantly, the two do not necessarily work at odds with one another if balanced correctly. Does that clarify my standing for you?
    Taking over industry or interfering with resources and how they are aligned naturally does interfere with capitalism.

  6. #726
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Where he lacks leadership on issues that matter, he has a preference towards hotwings at aimless beer summits over trivial issues.
    there three possibles here...

    1) You have a problem with your president.
    2) You are mentally incapable of basic logical thought.
    3) You have not actually studied Economics, Civics, or history and are simply commenting on things you should not.

    No matter, as any of the three excuse you from being relevant to this debate.

  7. #727
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    What branch of the military did Obama serve in?
    All of them. Obama is the Commander in Chief of all the armed US military forces and he outranks all the Generals. He is their commander they are not his. Too bad Romney can't and never will be able to say the same, eh?

  8. #728
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    All of them. Obama is the Commander in Chief of all the armed US military forces and he outranks all the Generals. He is their commander they are not his. Too bad Romney can't and never will be able to say the same, eh?
    Serving as president is not serving in the military. I hope I do not actually have to explain why.

  9. #729
    Advisor Romulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-28-14 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    324

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    there three possibles here...

    1) You have a problem with your president.
    2) You are mentally incapable of basic logical thought.
    3) You have not actually studied Economics, Civics, or history and are simply commenting on things you should not.

    No matter, as any of the three excuse you from being relevant to this debate.
    You mad bro?

  10. #730
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Funding isn't an issue, about 70 to 75% of highways and interstates are funded through users fees. Which is cool with me but that funding mechanism should be 100% user fees. Raising the capital required for infrastructure doesn't justify the bloated multi-billion dollar federal bureaucratic institutions that we have. In fact, the agencies taxed with raising funding for highways are separate from those who "build" highways. I intentionally use scare quotes there because the government doesn't build highways, private contractors do.
    I haven't read much on the issue, but what I have read indicates that user fees are actually funding considerably less than 70-75% of our highway bills and that they are actually on the decrease....hmmm.
    But as to the bigger issue, it's still a tax, no matter how you cut it. The only difference is, I contend, that user fee taxes can actually harm the economy because people will actually become less likely to use our highways if they know that everytime they motor down the highway it will cost them. User fees, because of their immediacy, impact consumer behavior in ways that income taxes don't. I guess the question would be: Does the negative impact that user fees has on the economy as a result of altered consumer behavior(more likely to stay home instead of travelling and stimulating the economy) outweigh the loss of inefficiancy we endure as the result of government bureaucracy that manages our roads?
    But, then again, no matter how the monies are raised, someone has to manage and distribute them to the private contractors that build the roads. I hope you're not suggesting that we allow a profit-driven private company manage these contracts that are given out to other private companies?!! Sounds like you would just replace one set of problems, government inefficiency, with another, private sector corruption. Take your pick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •