Page 72 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #711
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    Gore never claimed to have invented the internet. Conservatives that say that keep believing it, not because it is true, but because it makes them feel good to believe it so. Here is a link to an article on the subject. FactCheck.org and a whole host of other media have disproven the claim. Just goes to show how difficult it is to stomp out misinformation once it has been disseminated.
    snopes.com: Al Gore Invented the Internet
    No, but he claimed that he "took the initiative" to get the ball rolling on inventing the Internet when it already existed well before he was ever in Congress.

    (He also claimed his sister was the first member of the Peace Corps and that his mother sang him union songs as lullabyes which weren't written until he was in his late teens.)
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #712
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    your sig.....it is Jefferson deriding the christian clergy of the day....
    Thomas Jefferson quotes

    but it should be applied liberally to all propagandists, marketers, advertisers, political hacks, or anybody who attempts to lead the less educated astray.
    Sad part is, thenumber of less educated among us is increasing exponentially...no way to keep up when they would rather watch "reality" TV...or pro sports....or only one news channel, if that...
    huh? WHAT should be applied liberally? I am a bit confused as to what, specifically, you are referencing.

  3. #713
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    He wasn't just talking about building roads and bridges. He was saying that success is not possible without govt help. This is not true. If it were true, you should be real pissed off that you are not rich and successful because Pres. Obama let you down.
    How successful would any business in America be without the government providing a military to defend this great nation?

  4. #714
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    How successful would any business in America be without the government providing a military to defend this great nation?
    What branch of the military did Obama serve in?

  5. #715
    Advisor Romulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-28-14 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    324

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    Feel free to state the former, there is ample evidence of it and, personally, I would be prepared to defend him on this. As to you second statement about government control of ownership over market production, I would like to see more evidence of what you are speaking of . Are you referring to the GM/auto industry issue? If so, I think you are correct about having serious misgivings over the government takeover of this company. Even though there is some evidence that it may be successful(or at least not the disaster that many predicted), I still think it sets a bad precedent and the government overstepped its bounds in the way it took controlling share in the company. But I don't see a desire of Obama to take ownership of the market as a whole. Is there something, specifically, that I am missing? Please share, if so.
    I'm glad we agree Obama overreached with the auto industry and that you don't want government "ownership of the market as a whole". The list is long where Obama would like to see more government intervention--PPACA comes to mind, the "green jobs" debacle, among those you've already mentioned. But the topic of this thread dealt with roads and fire related issues. Obama used a fire department as a backdrop and pretended more government is necessary for certain services (such as highways). It has been my contention throughout this thread (and another similar one) that very little government is necessary for fire and infrastructure services.

  6. #716
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No, but he claimed that he "took the initiative" to get the ball rolling on inventing the Internet when it already existed well before he was ever in Congress.

    (He also claimed his sister was the first member of the Peace Corps and that his mother sang him union songs as lullabyes which weren't written until he was in his late teens.)
    He sponsored a number of bills while he was a congressman that advanced the development of the internet. That is a fact. Perhaps his wording in that one single interview that conservatives have so launcehed into was a bit clumsy, but that doesn't make him a liar. As far as the Peace Corps and lullabyes stories go, I'll have to look into that, as I've never heard it. I will look into them. Just from the sounds of it I am supposing it a possibility that he simply recalled incorrectly. I have made similar mistakes in my life(swearing to my sister just the other day that one of our childhood babysitters lived in a particular house. Turns out that my memory was just mixed up on the matter, not that I was a liar!), so I'm always willing to give politicians some degree of leeway when they have inaccuracies in the telling of their youth stories.

  7. #717
    Advisor Romulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-28-14 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    324

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    Thanks. You really helped everyone understand the very serious issues that we are confronted with today. You're a real political genius there Romulus!
    Hey, I didn't bring up hotwings! They make me think of beer, I couldn't help myself.

  8. #718
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    I'm glad we agree Obama overreached with the auto industry and that you don't want government "ownership of the market as a whole". The list is long where Obama would like to see more government intervention--PPACA comes to mind, the "green jobs" debacle, among those you've already mentioned. But the topic of this thread dealt with roads and fire related issues. Obama used a fire department as a backdrop and pretended more government is necessary for certain services (such as highways). It has been my contention throughout this thread (and another similar one) that very little government is necessary for fire and infrastructure services.
    So how would you suggest that we fund the building and maintaining of roads in the country(I assume that is one of the things you are referring to when you say "infrastructure")? This sounds like a good place to begin.

  9. #719
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No, but he claimed that he "took the initiative" to get the ball rolling on inventing the Internet when it already existed well before he was ever in Congress.
    No, he didn't say that either as he never claimed to "invent" any aspect of the Internet.

    What he claimed was that he passed legislation which helped create the Internet as we know it. Prior to his legislation, it was used privately within the military and some universities. Al Gore pushed through legislation that helped commercialize it to become the Internet like it is today.

  10. #720
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    What branch of the military did Obama serve in?
    Who said that he did?

    But he is a member of the government which funds the military.

    Were you asking as a diversion from the question I asked? Because I couldn't help but notice you avoided answering it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •