Page 70 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #691
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    I don't believe that is what he was saying at all. First of all, I am sure that by now you realize that when he said "You did not build that" that he was referring to ROADS and BRIDGES, and not the business


    So now Obama wants to take credit for building the roads and bridges? I don't remember seeing him with a shovel on a road construction crew.

  2. #692
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Because Fox took it out of context with intentional deceit ... he was saying the surrounding infrastructure supported small business and it does. Fact. We are all interconnected to each other ... our infrastructure and our businesses. My business is heavily relaint off a strong infrastructure and a mixed economy. obama is center right on business and believes in a mixed economy for a strong America.
    NONSENSE. Obama believes that those making over $200/250K should pay more taxes, which he JUSTIFIES by implying that they get more "benefit" from infrasturcture, therefore they owe a virtually unlimitted "fair" share of taxation. Obama sees the federal defict as primarily a revenue problem yet has not increased taxes AT ALL since he was in office (except for unfunded mandates and some PPACA "fees"). Obama CONSTANTLY rants about the "Bush" tax rates that HE, HIMSELF extended and signed into law. To assert that PPACA could pass congress, yet not a change in ANY FIT rates is INSANE; Obama wants only to blame someone else NOW for his EARLIER inaction. Obama can not explain how raising $85 billion more in taxes from "the rich" would create (or save) even ONE job, except maybe his own. ;-)
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 07-21-12 at 06:16 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #693
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,786

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    NONSENSE. Obama believes that those making over $200/250K should pay more taxes, which he JUSTIFIES by implying that they get more "benefit" from infrasturcture, therefore they owe a virtually unlimitted "fair" share of taxation. Obama sees the federal defict as primarily a revenue problem yet has not increased taxes AT ALL since he was in office (except for unfunded mandates and some PPACA "fees"). Obama CONSTANTLY rants about the "Bush" tax rates that HE, HIMSELF extended and signed into law. To assert that PPACA could pass congress, yet not a change in ANY FIT rates is INSANE; Obama wants only to blame someone else NOW for his EARLIER inaction. Obama can not explain how raising $85 billion more in taxes from "the rich" would create (or save) even ONE job, except maybe his own. ;-)
    I agree that Obama has handled this issue very poorly. He said one thing and did another on tax raises. He backed down at least twice when he drew the line and then let the other side convince him to retreat and wave the white flag.

    There is nothing to be proud of in the Obama tax record on tax increases.

    The time is now to change. We need to let the Bush/Obama tax cuts expire across the board.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #694
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    NONSENSE. Obama believes that those making over $200/250K should pay more taxes, which he JUSTIFIES by implying that they get more "benefit" from infrasturcture, therefore they owe a virtually unlimitted "fair" share of taxation. Obama sees the federal defict as primarily a revenue problem yet has not increased taxes AT ALL since he was in office (except for unfunded mandates and some PPACA "fees"). Obama CONSTANTLY rants about the "Bush" tax rates that HE, HIMSELF extended and signed into law. To assert that PPACA could pass congress, yet not a change in ANY FIT rates is INSANE; Obama wants only to blame someone else NOW for his EARLIER inaction. Obama can not explain how raising $85 billion more in taxes from "the rich" would create (or save) even ONE job, except maybe his own. ;-)

    Wow...we had no Idea you know the president, let alone well enough to evaluate his "Intellectual Fortitude", (did the formation of those words hurt your brain?). Tell me, as I have wondered for awhile....does he like hotwings?

  5. #695
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally
    What I am sensitive to is when conservatives incorrectly define socialism and, more significantly, fail to recognize that it is possible to be a socialist and a capitalist at the same time.
    I think you should learn about the two ideas as evidenced by the following statement and this one..

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    It's really not that radical of a concept: There are things that the free market is best left to, and things that the government is best left to and they both need one another to be successful.
    That argument you just made has it roots in the socialist movement. What it says is the market has an obligation to meet some higher purpose than it lies out. That a certain service is unfit or unfair to the people if the market runs it as such and such service has a high importance to the people and the society as a whole so we as a society can't afford it to be left to the businessman. It's entirely rooted in the movement itself. You might have noticed that Obama used it when talking about healthcare.

    And, for the reasons that collective government has aided them in this regard, business leaders have a moral obligation to operate in the best interests of the society at large-not merely their own short-term economic interests. That's not Marxism, that's just common sense.
    No, that is the argument for taxes made by those like yourself.
    Last edited by Henrin; 07-21-12 at 06:28 PM.

  6. #696
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    If Obama is saying the taxes need to be raised in order to fund road repairs, then maybe we should just let the roads fall apart. It's just plain wrong to increase taxes.

  7. #697
    Advisor Romulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-28-14 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    324

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Wow...we had no Idea you know the president, let alone well enough to evaluate his "Intellectual Fortitude", (did the formation of those words hurt your brain?). Tell me, as I have wondered for awhile....does he like hotwings?
    Where he lacks leadership on issues that matter, he has a preference towards hotwings at aimless beer summits over trivial issues.

  8. #698
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    How about I say, 'Obama is for deficit spending in attempt to stimulate the economy during a recession, and for more government control or ownership over market production'.
    Feel free to state the former, there is ample evidence of it and, personally, I would be prepared to defend him on this. As to you second statement about government control of ownership over market production, I would like to see more evidence of what you are speaking of . Are you referring to the GM/auto industry issue? If so, I think you are correct about having serious misgivings over the government takeover of this company. Even though there is some evidence that it may be successful(or at least not the disaster that many predicted), I still think it sets a bad precedent and the government overstepped its bounds in the way it took controlling share in the company. But I don't see a desire of Obama to take ownership of the market as a whole. Is there something, specifically, that I am missing? Please share, if so.

  9. #699
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    This is the transcript of what Obama actually said. He is exactly right ... America is strong because we have been a mixed economy.

    "There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smartpeople out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build it on your own.The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."
    Fox knows what he is saying and in your mind ... you all know he is exactly correct and that Mitt Romney would agree with this. The alchemists at Fox infotainment were just playing the indoctrinated citizens again!
    Last edited by Turin; 07-21-12 at 06:48 PM.

  10. #700
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    If Obama is saying the taxes need to be raised in order to fund road repairs, then maybe we should just let the roads fall apart. It's just plain wrong to increase taxes.
    And why do you say that? Are you saying it is ALWAYS wrong to raise taxes, or are you just saying that the current time is no the correct time to do it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •