Page 7 of 149 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #61
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    read the sentences before and after the fox selected sentence. an individual business did not build the road or create the internet. those things were created by a lot of people; both in government and in the private sector. the point is that doing things together for society benefits everyone, and every business uses a wide variety of infrastructure that it didn't build.

    there's nothing remotely controversial about that, and one has to really stretch to read it the way fox presents it.
    Before governments got into the business of building roads and internet lines, businesses still existed.
    It's pretty dumb to suggest, that sans government paved roads and government subsidized projects, that commerce would cease to exist.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #62
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Before governments got into the business of building roads and internet lines, businesses still existed.
    It's pretty dumb to suggest, that sans government paved roads and government subsidized projects, that commerce would cease to exist.
    Yep. But it sure would be harder to justify very heavy taxation, the real goal of Obama. ;-)
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #63
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yep. But it sure would be harder to justify very heavy taxation, the real goal of Obama. ;-)
    He's just making political swipes against his "enemy" group to garner votes from his favored side.
    Just political gamesmanship, clever people duping stupid people into voting for them.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #64
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Come on today is Monday.

    Tomorrow he will try to clarify what he "meant to say".

  5. #65
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    I'm rather surprised you don't seem to understand Obama's statement. There is no context to infer, or conclusion to be drawn. His words verbatim stand alone. Obama gives no credit to those who have become successful. He said, "You didn't build that. Someone else made that happen."
    I read what he said, and you're wrong. Sorry.

    From the link:

    “If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

    “If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen,” he said. “The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.”


    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz20pB7y4al

    This is exactly what I spoke of. Context. We must read all the words.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 07-16-12 at 06:46 PM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #66
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I read what he said, and you're wrong. Sorry.

    From the link:

    “If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

    “If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen,” he said. “The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.”


    Read more: Obama to business owners: 'You didn't build that' | Fox News

    This is exactly what I spoke of. Context. We must read all the words.
    Someone who understands context is everything.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Last Seen
    02-21-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    309

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    How can any one be surprised by this attitude especially from someone who's never had a real job in his life or understands how businesses operate.

    The infrastructure point is moot because if the successful businesses didn't exist neither would the infrastructure. It is a symbiotic relationship through the taxes generated by the business and from the employees who also pay taxes to support the infrastructure.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The problem is you do take something from his hard work. His grandfather paid for his education...but he managed to get the oppertunity to have that educaiton due to the work he put into school to get the grades and the extracurriculurs to get accepted to that school. His grandfather managed to continue to pay for that education because he was successfully working at college to be able to pass the classes and learn his trade to allow himself the oppertunity to pay to stay in college. And on and on. That's my point. You choose in that paragraph to focus LARGELY on hyping up and promoting all the help he got while giving little to no credit to his individual efforts. The only mentions you made from it was a negative statement about how he BELIEVES it was all on his own and a statement of saying you "take nothing from his hard work" after you spent the entire post focusing singularly on his help from others.

    The real differnece isn't that some recognize this, and others seek to take all the credit. The real differnece is that some wish to propogate and talk up one side and others with to do the other side and few rarely give equal play or credit to both. Because the reality is there's no real subjective way to say which one truly caused the other or allowed for the other or had more impact because you just simply can't test for that.

    This won't hurt Obama because people "cannot see how anyone every helped anyone who was successful"...it will hurt Obama because while he focused on propping up the community aspect and severely downplayed the individual side of it, there are others who choose to simply act the opposite way of Obama and promote the individual aspect of the community. The difference is you seem to imply that those who view it the latter are somehow more "wrong" or less "right" than Obama's.
    I said clearly that my brother-in-law did work hard, and deserves credit for that. The first sentence I wrote describing him was that he was a smart hard working fellow (sentence three over all). I mention two things that were help, and then end with I take nothing away from him. I tried to be quite balanced. My trouble with him is not in what he did, which was impressive, but how much he seeks to not just down play it, but deny it. He didn't do it ALL on his own.

    I believe I mentioned the that the individuality myth would be the problem. So, I think we agree on that part. American mythology likes that myth a lot.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #69
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    He's just making political swipes against his "enemy" group to garner votes from his favored side.
    Just political gamesmanship, clever people duping stupid people into voting for them.
    Private business is his enemy, too.

  10. #70
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I said clearly that my brother-in-law did work hard, and deserves credit for that. The first sentence I wrote describing him was that he was a smart hard working fellow (sentence three over all). I mention two things that were help, and then end with I take nothing away from him. I tried to be quite balanced. My trouble with him is not in what he did, which was impressive, but how much he seeks to not just down play it, but deny it. He didn't do it ALL on his own.

    I believe I mentioned the that the individuality myth would be the problem. So, I think we agree on that part. American mythology likes that myth a lot.
    You're assuming he wouldn't have done it, if not for the support of your grandparents. There's no way you can say that, with any amount of credibility.

Page 7 of 149 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •