Page 59 of 149 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #581
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Okay, except the government makes the decisions, does the planning, buys the land grants and decides which business will do the building. In short, without government, business isn't going to build the road.
    Govt is people. It's Anthony Weiner, Charlie Rangel and Richard Nixon. Just people, often very flawed people, not some mythical god like entity that we need rely on. If "govt" didn't serve that middle-man function, some other entity would.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #582
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Businesses build roads all the time. I live on one such road.
    Wow....and the government still made it possible for the business to build the road. Or do you really believe the business built the road for free?

  3. #583
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Wow....and the government still made it possible for the business to build the road. Or do you really believe the business built the road for free?
    No, we the people make it possible. Govt is just the tool of the people. We don't rely on govt for anything, Govt relies on us.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #584
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Wow....and the government still made it possible for the business to build the road. Or do you really believe the business built the road for free?
    The business built the road entirely at its own expense, yes. This happens all over, all the time, any time a business wants to develop land.

    Sorry, but it's you who are the uninformed one here.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #585
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Govt is people. It's Anthony Weiner, Charlie Rangel and Richard Nixon. Just people, often very flawed people, not some mythical god like entity that we need rely on. If "govt" didn't serve that middle-man function, some other entity would.
    Not necessarily, seeing as private entities operate strictly on the basis of profit margins, often without considering philanthropic or long term implications of said investment. Simply put, private enterprise often lacks the capacity and motivation to invest in important functions that will not yield short term profits, even if said functions and infrastructure maintain or create a higher standard of living for the population as a whole.
    Last edited by a351; 07-21-12 at 10:13 AM.

  6. #586
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The business built the road entirely at its own expense, yes. This happens all over, all the time, any time a business wants to develop land.

    Sorry, but it's you who are the uninformed one here.
    Nyyyew but its you who are the uniformed one heeeeeere. Neener, neener, neener. We're not talking about roads in subdivisons or condos here. Get a clue.
    Last edited by Moot; 07-21-12 at 10:29 AM.

  7. #587
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    Not necessarily, seeing as private entities operate strictly on the basis of profit margins, often without considering philanthropic or long term implications of said investment. Simply put, private enterprise often lacks the capacity and motivation to invest in important functions that will not yield short term profits, even if said functions and infrastructure maintain or create a higher standard of living for the population as a whole.
    If a business relied on infrastructure to do business, infrastructure that didn't exist, it would build the infrastructure. Did govt lay the cable bringing tv and internet to your house?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #588
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Nyyyah but its you who are the uniformed one heeeeeere. Ninner ninner ninner. We're not talking about land developers for subdivisons here. Get a clue.
    You may be wanting to move the goalposts, but the fact is, I live on a road (a road, not just some extension) which was built and paid for by business. The same business also laid all of the power and sewer -- at their own expense.

    This is quite common. That you don't know this isn't my problem.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #589
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Nyyyah but its you who are the uniformed one heeeeeere. Ninner ninner ninner. We're not talking about land developers for subdivisons here. Get a clue.
    land developers are businesses....and subdivisions their product. All business share in the development and building of their infrastructure....some shoulder it entirely.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #590
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If a business relied on infrastructure to do business, infrastructure that didn't exist, it would build the infrastructure.

    Did govt lay the cable bringing tv and internet to your house?
    Fairly vague statement, they would most likely alter their business practices to circumvent such obstacles.

    No, but that's not the point here. The government has to act as a middle man in certain situations where private companies simply aren't capable of fulfilling said role. Think of the railroads built in the 1800's, and the millions of dollars of subsidies that enabled private companies to accomplish such a task, the prospect of private entities collecting the massive amount of capital to even attempt such an endeavor would be bleak at best, or alternative energy in the present day. Many companies rely heavily on government subsidies and grants in order to undergo research for future implementation. Often times, the government is the only entity that can fill this void.
    Last edited by a351; 07-21-12 at 10:31 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •