Page 48 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #471
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    please don't try to insult me by suggesting a family relationship between us.
    Thank heaven for small favors, eh?

    Let's face it: Obama could fart the 1812 Overture and "a certain segment" would claim it was a secret message to the black helicopters to come take their guns.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #472
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    please don't try to insult me by suggesting a family relationship between us.
    That's evident, my son wouldn't be so ignorant about business. And he wouldn't try to lie about what Obama said.

    "There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.) If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.."

    Now, I'm not taking a single thing out of context. His attitude and philosophy towards entreprenurial success is not mystery to me. He's anti-capitalist. He's anti-capitalist because he believes capitalism is "unfair". So, he seeks to diminish the successes of free market capitalism. He is all about the philosophy of "collectivism". Collective salvation, collective freedom, collective sacrifice, collective ownership, collective responsibility, collective wealth. Listen to his words man, he's a Socialist. Collectivism is the philosophy of Socialism. Redistributing because we are a "collective" society.

    You are just as ignorant as he is.

  3. #473
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    That's evident, my son wouldn't be so ignorant about business. And he wouldn't try to lie about what Obama said.

    "There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.) If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.."

    Now, I'm not taking a single thing out of context. His attitude and philosophy towards entreprenurial success is not mystery to me. He's anti-capitalist. He's anti-capitalist because he believes capitalism is "unfair". So, he seeks to diminish the successes of free market capitalism. He is all about the philosophy of "collectivism". Collective salvation, collective freedom, collective sacrifice, collective ownership, collective responsibility, collective wealth. Listen to his words man, he's a Socialist. Collectivism is the philosophy of Socialism. Redistributing because we are a "collective" society.

    You are just as ignorant as he is.
    No matter what you say, you are misreading. Or more specifically projecting.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #474
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No matter what you say, you are misreading. Or more specifically projecting.
    What am I misreading here? He said it. I even underlined it for you. If he's so smart, and was talking about roads and bridges, why didn't he say, "If you've got a business, you didn't build THOSE"???

    And why are you avoiding the point I've made twice now? The point is, GOVERNMENT didn't build those roads and bridges either. Roads and bridges are the result of businesses and individuals PAYING TAXES. The government didn't invest money to build roads and bridges, they collected taxes off businesses FIRST before they could pay to have a single road or bridge built. Why won't you address that reality?

  5. #475
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    I'll go even further. If it weren't for businesses paying taxes, and individuals paying taxes, MR. MANCHILD PRESIDENT wouldn't even get a paycheck.

    "you didn't build that".....pshhhh

    Then who did?

  6. #476
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen". There's his quote. He also said, "Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive."

    Yes, that "somebody" was another business owner who paid taxes, or another private individual who paid taxes. So, ya, he's right. "Somebody" did help me build my business. It was another business owner, and another private tax payer. Not his precious federal government. And those roads and bridges were built for EVERYONE, not just the business owners. You drive on roads dont you? Do you own a business? You went to school too right? Do you own a business?

    Schools and roads weren't built just for business owners. They were built for everyone. And I pay for them more than a person who doesn't own a business. That's why I say that business owners are even MORE responsible for those roads and bridges than any one else. That's just a fact.

  7. #477
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen". There's his quote.....
    no, that is his quote taken totally out of context.

    he was talking about building bridges & roads, not building businesses.

  8. #478
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    no, that is his quote taken totally out of context.

    he was talking about building bridges & roads, not building businesses.
    The bottom line is that ALL of Obama's nonsense is simply to justify higher taxes on "the rich". His BASIC argument is that businesses (and the rich) somehow get more advantage from infrastructure, than any "middle class" folks, and thus should pay WAY more for it.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 07-20-12 at 05:34 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #479
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    he has a Law Degree from Harvard Law.

    he is FAR from being "ignorant".
    Guess he should have known he was misrepresenting the individual mandate when he said it wasn't a tax then.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #480
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The bottom line is that ALL of Obama's nonsense is simply to justify higher taxes on "the rich". His BASIC argument is that businesses (and the rich) somehow get more advantage from infrastructure, than any "middle class" folks, and thus should pay WAY more for it.
    was that really his argument?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •