Page 40 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #391
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I think we used to have such a structure in the US, it was called "regulation" and it worked pretty good for about 60 or 70 years until a few CEOs systematically started to dismantle that structure by lobbying politicians to deregulate.
    He is describing nothing short of a very advanced planned economy that mixes a few different strands of socialism together with capitalism. Today we have about what he wants give or take a few measures in his post. He acts like it would be a fundamental change in path but its basically just continuing the road we are on and expecting a different result.
    Last edited by Henrin; 07-19-12 at 01:27 AM.

  2. #392
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,353

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    What in the name of God is all this retarded outrage over?? Why does the Far Right get their panties in a wad whenever the president speaks with brutal honesty? Are they so married to their ideal that rich people magically get to where they are and stay where they are, all on their own? Puh-lease! Do you think for one minute that he's actually wrong here? Do you think that America's hierarchical status could survive for one second if we were nothing but a nation of CEOs? LOL! Our system is built on the backs of the laborers and middle class who enable those people's prosperity in the first place. And to think that merely acknowledging this fact has sent the Far Right into their latest outrage frenzy. Get over it already! It needed to be said, and thank God we have a president willing to say it!
    Can we guess from the above that if you are old enough to work, you don't make much?

  3. #393
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    What in the name of God is all this retarded outrage over?? Why does the Far Right get their panties in a wad whenever the president speaks with brutal honesty?
    It's not brutal honesty to say "no one's success is theirs alone, we ALL helped!" That's not honesty. That's taker mentality. "I deserve a piece because I'm your countryman" sort of sly horse crap. The person who owns a property or business... owns it. He suffers the loss if it devalues. He reaps the gain if it appreciates. And any help he needs in keeping it up, HE HAS TO PAY FOR. It's called private ownership, whereas BHO's power is derived from attracting the majority who are non-owners (and hence the majority have become parasitic in their mentalities), and giving the minority (who are owners) a heads up that their pound of flesh will soon be due. The makers must sacrifice themselves for the takers.

    Are they so married to their ideal that rich people magically get to where they are and stay where they are, all on their own?
    No one claims they never had help. But they did PAY IN FULL for the help they needed. What they owe to the help they received has already been paid for, contract completed, deal is done.

    Do you think for one minute that he's actually wrong here?
    He's being Machiavellian and rallying his parasitic base, inducing their saliva at the thought of sending collectors out to gather from those with means what the takers feel is owed to them.

    Do you think that America's hierarchical status could survive for one second if we were nothing but a nation of CEOs?
    What in TF are you talking about?
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 07-19-12 at 01:39 AM.

  4. #394
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    It's not brutal honesty to say "no one's success is theirs alone, we ALL helped!" That's not honesty. That's taker mentality. "I deserve a piece because I'm your countryman" sort of sly horse crap. The person who owns a property or business... owns it. He suffers the loss if it devalues. He reaps the gain if it appreciates. And any help he needs in keeping it up, HE HAS TO PAY FOR. It's called private ownership, whereas BHO's power is derived from attracting the majority who are non-owners (and hence the majority have become parasitic in their mentalities), and giving the minority (who are owners) a heads up that their pound of flesh will soon be due. The makers must sacrifice themselves for the takers.



    No one claims they never had help. But they did PAY IN FULL for the help they needed. What they owe to the help they received has already been paid for, contract completed, deal is done.



    He's being Machiavellian and rallying his parasitic base, inducing their saliva at the thought of sending collectors out to gather from those with means what the takers feel is owed to them.



    What in TF are you talking about?
    Did you slip and hit your head on the bathtub? Here is what he said: "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

    That doesn't mean that's he's coming for your women, or that the moon is made of green cheese.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  5. #395
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Did you slip and hit your head on the bathtub? Here is what he said: "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

    That doesn't mean that's he's coming for your women, or that the moon is made of green cheese.
    Nice appeal to mockery. Really, it's clever, and I mean that in a genuine way. But to the issue...

    What is the point in reminding the owners of business and property that not everything they own came into existence solely because of them? Everyone knows this. There was never any question about it. So why, as the person with the most influential job on the planet, should he spend his time reminding us of something we all already know without even having to think, and knew as early as infancy (when we learned the concept of "mine")?

    [edit]Best case scenario, he's wasting his time and ours. But honestly I believe there is a definite purpose to telling us these little fables, and I have explained what I think that purpose is in previous posts.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 07-19-12 at 02:17 AM.

  6. #396
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    He is describing nothing short of a very advanced planned economy that mixes a few different strands of socialism together with capitalism. Today we have about what he wants give or take a few measures in his post. He acts like it would be a fundamental change in path but its basically just continuing the road we are on and expecting a different result.
    But something has changed in the last couple of decades and I think it's the way we do business in that we don't make things of value like they used to, instead we're becoming a nation of cubicles and paper shufflers. You can see it on this chart what we are losing and the direction we are heading.....




  7. #397
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Is "specious" your new word of the day? You obviously have a feckless understanding of both the left and the right.
    It certainly seems to be. Maybe it was the LETS LEARN A NEW WORD TODAY in the local paper?

    The dictionary says this about the definition of specious


    Superficially plausible, but actually wrong: "a specious argument".
    It seems the perfect catch-all doesn't it? Its a lazy persons way of saying "sure, your argument sounds good and it could be true and sounds true, but it is wrong just the same."

    Of course, the poster would then need to actually engage in debate by PROVING with VERIFIABLE EVIDENCE that the argument is wrong despite its positive and believable appearance but that step is normally sorely lacking and absent. That part seems to be forgotten. In the post your cited, - #373 - the poster merely pompously proclaims the post they disagree with as specious and then fails to do anything with the charge. In others, they make the proclamation and then fail to prove the allegation instead going to the usual attacks about dependency, teat suckers, obeying ones masters and not being able to vote since you do not pay enough taxes.
    Last edited by haymarket; 07-19-12 at 07:45 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #398
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Is "specious" your new word of the day? You obviously have a feckless understanding of both the left and the right.

    No, I understand the right very well. you do not. Less government and less control is the major characteristic we note when speaking on economic issues of left versus right.
    Last edited by TurtleDude; 07-19-12 at 07:52 AM.

  9. #399
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Can we guess from the above that if you are old enough to work, you don't make much?
    those who think Obama was right generally are not those who have achieved at high levels.

  10. #400
    Student Trinnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    07-17-17 @ 09:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    164

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    POTUS went off TOTUS. Ooops!!!

    This was the real Barack Obama....a goof up who can't function without the help of professionals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •