Page 39 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #381
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Aren't we talking about minimum wage jobs? LOL
    In many areas around here, even fast food places have to pay more than minimum wage to get people to work there.

  2. #382
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    For those interested in a reading of it without any additional outside commentary and other such things....Transcript for you from the white house

    LINK

    The money quote in full
    There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.) If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires
    So, essentially, he re-phrased what Elizabeth Warren said a few months ago.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #383
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    In many areas around here, even fast food places have to pay more than minimum wage to get people to work there.
    So you think labor and minimum wage laws should be repealed, but that wages and work conditions won't be reduced because in some areas wages are above minimum wages already? Well, pardon me, but wtf is the point of removing these laws then?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #384
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Then everyone's wages would go down because they would be competing with people willing to work for $3 a day.
    We need an economic structure not centered entirely on currency. There must be a way to create a system that doesn't punish people who don't want to earn a million dollars and also not punish people who do. A system with a baseline for housing, food, medical care, etc would hold people accountable to society because those items would be provided as long as people are working. The job doesn't matter. A system like that would eliminate much of the money used for welfare and would not hinder capitalism for those who seek it.

    In short, there has to be a way to combine socialism and capitalism where the benefits of both are harnessed and the pitfalls of both are avoided.

  5. #385
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    We need an economic structure not centered entirely on currency. There must be a way to create a system that doesn't punish people who don't want to earn a million dollars and also not punish people who do. A system with a baseline for housing, food, medical care, etc would hold people accountable to society because those items would be provided as long as people are working. The job doesn't matter. A system like that would eliminate much of the money used for welfare and would not hinder capitalism for those who seek it.

    In short, there has to be a way to combine socialism and capitalism where the benefits of both are harnessed and the pitfalls of both are avoided.
    Its called a planned economy and we are practicing it right now. However, your premise is ridiculous. Socialism hinders capitalism by its very existence in the system. Think of it in the most simplistic of terms if you must. Capitalism is built around rational behavior, while socialism simply ignores it and tries to find value without it and uses tools that heavily rely on guess work and desires of the leaders. It is completely impossible for it to solve any sort of problem in front of you.
    Last edited by Henrin; 07-19-12 at 01:17 AM.

  6. #386
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    So you think labor and minimum wage laws should be repealed, but that wages and work conditions won't be reduced because in some areas wages are above minimum wages already? Well, pardon me, but wtf is the point of removing these laws then?

    Are you drunk? Where did I say get rid of minimum wage laws??? I just noted that around here you have a hard time getting people to work for minimum wage.

  7. #387
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    What in the name of God is all this retarded outrage over?? Why does the Far Right get their panties in a wad whenever the president speaks with brutal honesty? Are they so married to their ideal that rich people magically get to where they are and stay where they are, all on their own? Puh-lease! Do you think for one minute that he's actually wrong here? Do you think that America's hierarchical status could survive for one second if we were nothing but a nation of CEOs? LOL! Our system is built on the backs of the laborers and middle class who enable those people's prosperity in the first place. And to think that merely acknowledging this fact has sent the Far Right into their latest outrage frenzy. Get over it already! It needed to be said, and thank God we have a president willing to say it!
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  8. #388
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I thought he was talking about you.

    The left doesn't worship, the right does. The right wants more government control in the form of a police state aka fascism. The right constantly wants more money to build more prisons and warehouse people for the rest of their lives at taxpayer expense and when they aren't harping about that they whine for more money to spend on weapons and military to control other countries.
    Come on now, the right understands that government doesn't create jobs! Unless you're talking about military spending.

    SEN. KELLY AYOTTE


    Now: “So we’re not just talking about the jobs issue, which is, of course, of concern to anyone who serves in Congress. We’re talking about lost lives if we don’t give our men and women the equipment that they need.” [6/24/12]

    Then: “It’s not the government that’s going to create jobs in this country, it’s our small businesses, it’s the private sector.” [9/22/10]

    SEN. JON KYL


    Now: “The whole point here [staving off the sequester] is to try to get some economic growth, job creation, to get out of this recession.” [5/24/12]

    Then: “Faced with the reality of historic unemployment rates and record federal debt, I had hoped that President Obama, by now, would understand that even more government spending doesn’t create jobs.” [9/09/11]

    REP. BUCK MCKEON


    Now: “Sequestration’s impact on the economy would be sudden and severe, … result[ing] in the loss of about 1 million jobs in 2013 and 2014 and a half a percent cut to America’s already meager economic growth.” [6/24/12]

    Then: “We don’t look to the government usually to create jobs. What we like to see them do is get out of our hair and let us create the jobs.” [5/21/12]

    REP. RANDY FORBES


    Now: “For reasons of both national security and local jobs, citizens of Hampton Roads ought to carefully consider the sober assessments of our military commanders and leaders regarding the impacts of adding another $600 billion in security cuts to the $489 billion Congress has already enacted.” [10/08/11]

    Then: “Congressman Forbes believes there is a simple truth when it comes to job creation in America: real solutions create real growth that generates real jobs. In order to make this happen, government needs to get out of the way.” [Forbes' website]
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #389
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    I know that you recognize a lot of people help you in a business. Perhaps the bank, the investors. There is no question your mom and dad, your school teachers. The people who provide roads, the fire, the police. A lot of people help.

    ~ Mitt Romney
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  10. #390
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    We need an economic structure not centered entirely on currency. There must be a way to create a system that doesn't punish people who don't want to earn a million dollars and also not punish people who do. A system with a baseline for housing, food, medical care, etc would hold people accountable to society because those items would be provided as long as people are working. The job doesn't matter. A system like that would eliminate much of the money used for welfare and would not hinder capitalism for those who seek it.

    In short, there has to be a way to combine socialism and capitalism where the benefits of both are harnessed and the pitfalls of both are avoided.
    I think we used to have such a structure in the US, it was called "regulation" and it worked pretty good for about 60 or 70 years until a few CEOs systematically started to dismantle that structure by lobbying politicians to deregulate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •