Page 32 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #311
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Unfortunately for Obama, we can read between the lines.
    Unfortunately for the rest of us y'all have trouble reading the actual lines ... let alone reading between them.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #312
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    nah they just paid a ton of the money used to build them. those who live off the public dole-ie the people obama is pandering to-they didn't do much of anything to get those roads built. they sure didn't provide jobs that led to taxes that helped build that stuff either
    If we really break it down, not sure about the federal but most state and local governments "low bid" construction of roads and bridges to private firms, everything from the engineering to the excavation to the actual laying of asphalt. And not one thing gets done without private company provided materials, there is no government shovel manufacturer, or heavy equipment, or even dirt/asphalt so if we wanted to get down to the math of who contributes what the government would lose that argument. As well if we wanted to see an efficiency model of whether a government or private business would get the most out of dollars spent I would wager that the government would lose.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #313
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    It is funny the thread with the false quote has more than 3x the amount of posts than the thread with the actual quote. it is an accurate reflection of how media works though.

  4. #314
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    Just because you can change the people working for you doesn't change the fact that you need people working for you.
    Actually, for many industries I could just automate if I got tired of an undesireable pool of workers, even in service industries all it would take is simple upgrading of equipment.
    Frankly, if you are the kind of person who think that you can fire your whole crew at a moment's notice without consequences, you wouldn't go very far in business. People who succeed in business depends on others they trust, you can't build a multi-million dollar business without delegating responsibilities.
    Have you ever run a business? I have, there are two responsibilities in business, the customer and the business. I am not going to have a business hurt by a substandard crew and neither will most successful ones, it's emotion neutral and no one gives a **** about a worthless crew in business.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    It is funny the thread with the false quote has more than 3x the amount of posts than the thread with the actual quote. it is an accurate reflection of how media works though.
    Actual quotes to fanatical Obama cultists are now "false quotes". The rabid left now has to emotionally rationalize that Obama didn't really say what he said

    It's absolutely hilarious. People that live in the real world, who have worked their fingers to the bone building their own businesses know what Obama meant. The roads were built from the money confiscated from private businesses by Government. The roads were built by private businesses contracted by the Government with said businesses money to build those roads on Federal Land. They were built because of DEMAND within PRiVATE COMMERCE. Not a Government Program or because of Obama. Having your business next to a road doesn't mean your business will even succeed. It's just another false premise based in a strawman, pandered by the left to cover for the HUGE GAFFE Obama dropped over the weekend.

    Carney On Why Jobs Council Hasn't Met In Six Months: Obama Has "A Lot On His Plate" | RealClearPolitics

  6. #316
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Are you kidding me? "WE" should stop reading political ideology into a politician's statements? EARTH to Boo, that is precisely what politcal campaigns, thus elections, are about! Obama is a huge federal nanny state type of guy, that honestly believes that job of gov't is to enforce "social justice" and to redistribute U.S. wealth "properly". Obama screwed up (again) by going "rogue", or off teleprompter, and let fly his REAL feelings. These moments are very rare, yet quite telling.
    You miss the point. While politiicans will reach out to their base and the middle, when you read into it the worse political ideology you can, you're dishonest. That applies to all sides. Factually, the difference between democrats and republicans is minor. They do not govern as radically as the partisan presents it. Nor can they, as they will lose the middle completely, and thus elections. But partisans being dishonest doesn't make any of the claims true. Politiicans just hope the lie works against their opponenets.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #317
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Actual quotes to fanatical Obama cultists are now "false quotes". The rabid left now has to emotionally rationalize that Obama didn't really say what he said

    It's absolutely hilarious. People that live in the real world, who have worked their fingers to the bone building their own businesses know what Obama meant. The roads were built from the money confiscated from private businesses by Government. The roads were built by private businesses contracted by the Government with said businesses money to build those roads on Federal Land. They were built because of DEMAND within PRiVATE COMMERCE. Not a Government Program or because of Obama. Having your business next to a road doesn't mean your business will even succeed. It's just another false premise based in a strawman, pandered by the left to cover for the HUGE GAFFE Obama dropped over the weekend.

    Carney On Why Jobs Council Hasn't Met In Six Months: Obama Has "A Lot On His Plate" | RealClearPolitics
    I've never supported Obushama and called him a sell out from the beginning but you assume I must support him because I committed the crime of pointing out facts you don't like.

    His words were quoted mined in the most glaring manner and just because I do not support him that doesn't mean I support dishonesty.

    I'm also a small biz owner and taking his words in context he is largely correct.
    Last edited by Furiounova; 07-18-12 at 03:36 PM.

  8. #318
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Of course Romney is already touring the country mischaracterizing the statement and taking it out of context. The guy doesn't have an ounce of integrity in his body. I wonder if Obama will tearfully stamp his feet and demand an apology.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #319
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,567

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    The "you didn't build that" premise is built upon the foundation of the "rugged individulalism never worked" premise. If you are an American with a reasonable sense of history, you generally know what the concept of rugged individualism is all about. We all know it never was about one man building the Empire State Building alone beam by beam or brick by brick. It is about the people with visions showing the guts to take on the risk to make their dreams come true as much as liberty allows. And anyone who says it never worked, is full of ****. The perponderance of evidence is overwhelming that it worked. Has anyone ever heard the term Yankee ingenuity or American ingenuity?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    I've never supported Obushama and called him a sell out from the beginning but you assume I must support him because I committed the crime of pointing out facts you don't like.
    What crime did Romney commit Inspector Clouseau?

    His words were quoted mined in the most glaring manner and just because I do not support him that doesn't mean I support dishonesty.

    I'm also a small biz owner and taking his words in context he is largely correct.
    Yea? What's the name of your business?

    Explain to me how Government helps businesses with the money it confiscates from said businesses. You are aware that Government doesn't create wealth right? All the Feds do is print, borrow, and spend money.

    If all a business needs is a road to be successful, which was built by private businesses contracted by Government, then why isn't every business successful that has access to a road? You're not a business owner IMO. What Obama said (yes libs in its entire context) is completely foreign to anyone who ever built and ran a successful business. It's Collectivist propaganda designed to make people feel ashamed of their success.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •