Page 31 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #301
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,670

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    I guess you could look up how many people are on welfare, food stamps, and the like.
    Look at the reality of work vs. welfare: Washingtonpost.com: Welfare Reform Report

    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1697491/posts

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_of_poverty

    http://blog.heritage.org/2011/07/09/...es-dependency/
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 07-18-12 at 11:08 AM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #302
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Look at the reality of work vs. welfare: Washingtonpost.com: Welfare Reform Report
    Do you know what the word anecdote means?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #303
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    That is simply false. Government existed without the private sector, they just weren't very healthy or lasted very long, not the big ones at least. Besides, since he didn't say the private sector didn't play a role, that's beside the point entirely.

    I find it funny that the GOP supporters are now not so puritan about the degrading nature of negative ads, and how only the stupid fall for the blatant dishonesty in them. The OP's writer, who spent posts and posts speculating about how SEC regulations require one to do this or that, now doesn't even feel the need to even read and understand OBbama's speech in its context.

    Negative attacks are great when it suits your purpose, doesn't it?
    Hence, government can't exist without the private sector. Even in the Soviet Union, there would have been no government were it not for the private sector working for the state.

  4. #304
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Good luck getting the raw materials and resources the business depends on without other people/businesses producing them. Not to mention an educated labor pool so the business can hire other qualified people in order to have a well managed business.
    Thank you for agreeing with my point.

  5. #305
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Do you know the difference between somebody GIVING you something and you working cooperatively with others so that their is mutual benefit and gain? That is a concept that we try to teach small children. It is sad that some on the far right never learned this or forgot the lesson as they aged.

    I am successfully because of a multitude of factors and that includes what others in society did for me as well as what I did myself for myself. To ignore either part of the formula is simply ridiculous.
    Another one that sees my point. See? We can agree!

  6. #306
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,366

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Indivuals and other legal entities are normally in a symbiotic relationship
    with Government. The Government was created to address the corroborative
    needs of our society, Defense, legislative, and Judicial. (The Executive is a management
    function, not an actual task)
    This works best when Government leverages resources to expand the economy.
    Example: Land given to the railroad companies both built the railroad, and increased the value of the land the railroad companies received.
    Through greater commerce, the Government saw tax revenues increase.
    Win- Win .
    Governments are created by Indivuals to provide a framework for
    Indivuals to have an opportunity for prosperity.
    The Government exists to provide the infrastructure for growth.

    When a Government consumes more resources than absolutely necessary,
    It becomes parasitic.
    In a parasitic relationship, the Government starts to consume and kill the hosts.

    “The power to tax, is the power to destroy.”

  7. #307
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    even without such a ban, the oil cos. that engage in offshore drilling would never be in business if they were legally obligated to fully compensate every single business/individual affected by their spills,

    and in a truly free-enterprise (deregulated) system, they would.

    But the GOP has fortunately worked furiously to enact bills that shield companies from the liabilities of their spills, forcing taxpayers to pay for them instead. Hence, those offshore drilling cos., and all related businesses (including those that service the rigs) are only in business because the federal government has regulated the system in their favor.

    Which means, your business only exists because of (the aforementioned) federal regulation forcing taxpayers to pick up the costs from spills, i. e. because the government has enacted laws that interfere with the market to tilt the playing field in your favor. So thank the feds for your livelihood, and stop bitching.
    Well, that's not true and betrays you know very little about the oil and gas business or how they LEASE their offshore drilling sites from the government. Not to mention, everything you said applies to virtually all UTILITY companies.

  8. #308
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Really, when and where did Obama say that?

    "....There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.) If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires....."

    Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House
    Correct, Obama said no such thing, his words were taken out of context. the word 'that' in 'you didn’t build that' is referring to 'roads and bridges' (the antecedent} not business.


  9. #309
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    That is simply false. Government existed without the private sector,
    True... not so long ago, North America was dominated by this form of government - I believe they were called "tribes"


  10. #310
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The intent of the OP is to accuse Obama of saying that business owners didn't build their businesses.

    And that, as we all can clearly read, is a lie.
    Unfortunately for Obama, we can read between the lines. Owners building their own businesses is self-evident; Obama had to come out and make the point that they didn't do it alone, as though the "others" had a hand in the risk. Well employees, who btw get paid for their work, seldom share in the real risk of a business. They can always leave and go elsewhere, while the owners have to stay the course one way or the other. These are the people that society generally credit with building a business in the classic sense.

    You on the other hand are of the mind that building a business can't be done without the government. Government services including building of roads are available to all citizens and not just businesses, so to say that the govt helped a company build its business through roads is to also say the govt helped families build themselves through roads. Well given that the govt used the very money it took from businesses and families through taxes is to give govt credit for producing something that the citizens actually paid for themselves. Without an interest in expansion by businesses and families, there would be no need for more roads.......unless you support roads to nowhere.

    Businesses weren't created for govt, but govt for businesses. Trouble with the left is many of them tend to put the cart before the horse.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •