Page 146 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #1451
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    We understand that you have the talking points. We have heard them. They are a lie. He is doing what statists always do. Statists denigrate sacrifice, initiative and success unless it occurs on behalf of the state.

    The one term Marxist is just preparing to try to take even more from the makers. He will continue to be very dangerous to the nation for just a few more months.
    So, anytime the facts prove you wrong, it's a talking point? Convienent. And weak.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #1452
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Not sure how many jobs you think need to be generated each month to keep up with population growth, but the number is about 150,000. 4 million jobs over the last 2 years equals 150,000 jobs per month and that is enough to keep up with population growth.


    I don't know how they came up with that number, but the private sector has grown by 4 million jobs over the last 2 years ...

    01/10: 106,800,000
    07/12: 111,317,000

    BLS: Private Sector


    Yes, I am Liberal and yes, the public sector is suffering. While the private sector has gained 4 million jobs over the last 2 years, the public sector has lost 551,000 over that same period of time.


    I posted, "The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act cut regulations ... how'd that turn out?." I don't know how you missed that?


    That's not a "real statistic," it's one you just made up.

    07/2009: 154,538,000
    07/2012: 155,013,000

    BLS: Labor Force

    Despite your made up "real statistics," the labor force has not shrunk and there are more people working today than there were 3 years ago. Perhaps you are confusing with the labor force with the participation rate?


    I bet you don't even know that the unemployment rate has increased less under Obama than every Republican president on record except for Reagan for the first 42 months in office respectively...


    GHW Bush +2.3 +43%
    Nixon +2.2 +65%
    Ford** +2.0 +36%
    Eisenhower +1.5 +52%
    Bush +1.3 +31%
    Obama +0.5 +6%
    Carter +0.3 +4%
    Reagan 0.0 +0%
    Kennedy* -1.2 -14%
    Clinton -1.8 -25%
    Johnson -1.9 -33%

    * = Kennedy was in office 34 months

    ** = Ford was in office 29 months


    Bureau of Labor Statistics Data


    ... and that is factoring in that Obama inherited the worst economy that any president inherited except for FDR.


    More made up "real statistics." The private sector has gained jobs under his administration while the public sector has lost jobs.


    No, Liberals do not place government atop the economy as if wealth is going to trickle down. You haven't gotten anything right in your post and this trend continues with this nonsense of yours. Nobody expects to get wealthy from the government; but Liberals do rely on the government to protect workers from companies that would treat their employees the way companies in China treat theirs, if they could.

    The rest of your post is just more Conservative delusions.
    A valiant attempt at telling the truth, but you just couldn't get it done.

    You need to check your statistics. The labor force is smaller now than it was 3 years ago. 7 million people have abandoned the job market. That's a full 2% increase from when Obama took office. 1 million MORE workers have been unemployed for longer than 28 months than there were at the recession's end. The median length of unemployment has increased from 17 weeks to 19 weeks under Obama. Now pay attention, you take 7 million people out of the job market, they don't get counted in the unemployment number!!! If you add them back in, unemployment is over 10%!

    So, you can spin numbers around all you want. The simple fact is that the labor force has shrunk. Fewer people are working. 7 million people have abandoned the job market who aren't figured into unemployment numbers. The economy must generate over 200,000 jobs per month to see any movement in the unemployment number. Your screwed up math about job creation is just laughable. He keeps bragging about 4.4 million new jobs. In the bounce from the 1981-82 recession, we created 9.5 million new jobs, over twice as much as under Obama.

    If your claim is that more people are working, then how do you explain the explosion in the food stamp roles? How do you explain the increase in the poverty rate? And how do you explain why median household incomes are down? And how do you explain why the government felt like it needed to extend unemployment benefits out to 99 weeks? How do you explain the 40 year low for new business start ups?

    My stats come straight from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Now, I'm going to link the cite, and you can go see for yourself. Here's the simple fact my friend.

    In August of 2009, the Labor Force Participation rate was at 65.5%, and the Employment Population ratio was 59.2%. Fast forward to July 2012, just last month. The Labor Force Participation rate was at 63.7%, and the Employment Population Ratio was at 58.4%. Translation: THERE ARE FEWER PARTICIPATING WORKERS IN THE WORK FORCE THAN THERE WERE 3 YEARS AGO.

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/arch...t_08032012.pdf

    The Participation rate is the percentage of age eligible workers who are actively working. I don't know how or why you don't understand these simple figures. The amount of jobs created hasn't kept pace, and it's not even close, because there are fewer people working in America today than there was 3 years ago. 7 million people have abandoned the labor market. Long term unemployment has risen. The median time of unemployment has risen. Food stamp roles have risen. New business start ups have dropped to a 40 year low. Unemployment crept up this last month. Median household incomes have dropped. Home foreclosures have risen.

    I mean, all of these are clear indicators that job creation is horrible. There are more people leaving the labor market than are entering, and liberals like to run around and say we are headed in the right direction. And you have the audacity to say that conservatives are the delusional ones? lol....ok. No, I'm not delusional. Delusion would be to say we are headed in the right direction, when in fact, every economic indicator out there points to us heading in the opposite direction.

    Here's another quote, straight from the report: "In July, 2.5 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, down from 2.8 million a year
    earlier. (These data are not seasonally adjusted.) These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted
    and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not
    counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey."

    Get that? Even the number of people "marginally" attached to the labor force is down by 300,000. It's down much more than that over the 3 year period.

    So excuse me if I take my own intelligence over your thread posts. I can read a report as easily as the next guy. And you're wrong.

  3. #1453
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    A valiant attempt at telling the truth, but you just couldn't get it done.

    You need to check your statistics. The labor force is smaller now than it was 3 years ago. 7 million people have abandoned the job market. That's a full 2% increase from when Obama took office. 1 million MORE workers have been unemployed for longer than 28 months than there were at the recession's end. The median length of unemployment has increased from 17 weeks to 19 weeks under Obama. Now pay attention, you take 7 million people out of the job market, they don't get counted in the unemployment number!!! If you add them back in, unemployment is over 10%!

    So, you can spin numbers around all you want. The simple fact is that the labor force has shrunk. Fewer people are working. 7 million people have abandoned the job market who aren't figured into unemployment numbers. The economy must generate over 200,000 jobs per month to see any movement in the unemployment number. Your screwed up math about job creation is just laughable. He keeps bragging about 4.4 million new jobs. In the bounce from the 1981-82 recession, we created 9.5 million new jobs, over twice as much as under Obama.

    If your claim is that more people are working, then how do you explain the explosion in the food stamp roles? How do you explain the increase in the poverty rate? And how do you explain why median household incomes are down? And how do you explain why the government felt like it needed to extend unemployment benefits out to 99 weeks? How do you explain the 40 year low for new business start ups?

    My stats come straight from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Now, I'm going to link the cite, and you can go see for yourself. Here's the simple fact my friend.

    In August of 2009, the Labor Force Participation rate was at 65.5%, and the Employment Population ratio was 59.2%. Fast forward to July 2012, just last month. The Labor Force Participation rate was at 63.7%, and the Employment Population Ratio was at 58.4%. Translation: THERE ARE FEWER PARTICIPATING WORKERS IN THE WORK FORCE THAN THERE WERE 3 YEARS AGO.

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/arch...t_08032012.pdf

    The Participation rate is the percentage of age eligible workers who are actively working. I don't know how or why you don't understand these simple figures. The amount of jobs created hasn't kept pace, and it's not even close, because there are fewer people working in America today than there was 3 years ago. 7 million people have abandoned the labor market. Long term unemployment has risen. The median time of unemployment has risen. Food stamp roles have risen. New business start ups have dropped to a 40 year low. Unemployment crept up this last month. Median household incomes have dropped. Home foreclosures have risen.

    I mean, all of these are clear indicators that job creation is horrible. There are more people leaving the labor market than are entering, and liberals like to run around and say we are headed in the right direction. And you have the audacity to say that conservatives are the delusional ones? lol....ok. No, I'm not delusional. Delusion would be to say we are headed in the right direction, when in fact, every economic indicator out there points to us heading in the opposite direction.

    Here's another quote, straight from the report: "In July, 2.5 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, down from 2.8 million a year
    earlier. (These data are not seasonally adjusted.) These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted
    and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not
    counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey."

    Get that? Even the number of people "marginally" attached to the labor force is down by 300,000. It's down much more than that over the 3 year period.

    So excuse me if I take my own intelligence over your thread posts. I can read a report as easily as the next guy. And you're wrong.
    Telling the truth isn't exactly your strong suit. First, no one denies that the labor force has shrunk. In fact it's been shrinking for about a decade, in large part due to the aging of the baby boomers. That trend is accelerating and probably accounts for at least half of the decrease in the labor force under Obama. Second, and related to the previous point, it is no longer the case that the economy needs to add 200,000 jobs per month to keep unemployment steady. Most economists now say we need to add somewhere around 125,000 jobs/month to stay even.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #1454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Telling the truth isn't exactly your strong suit.
    Are you calling him a liar? If you are, that is the second time in 2 days that I have seen you do that to someone.
    And - as I mentioned yesterday -

    Lie
    n.
    1. A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
    2. Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Lie


    Unless you can prove Masada deliberately stated a falsehood, you owe him an apology (IF you are indeed calling him a liar).


    Personally, I found his post had lots of VERY accurate statistics.
    First, no one denies that the labor force has shrunk. In fact it's been shrinking for about a decade, in large part due to the aging of the baby boomers. That trend is accelerating and probably accounts for at least half of the decrease in the labor force under Obama.
    Even the most optimistic liberal think tank (that I have seen) says that at MOST ALMOST half of those leaving the work force are doing so because of retirement.

    And of those - undoubtedly many are doing so prematurely because they cannot find a job in Obama's America.

    Second, and related to the previous point, it is no longer the case that the economy needs to add 200,000 jobs per month to keep unemployment steady. Most economists now say we need to add somewhere around 125,000 jobs/month to stay even.
    This is true.

    Just doing some simple math from last month - by my calculations - the US economy would need to create 126,763 jobs to maintain the population growth (the latter of which has been increasingly falling during the last few years).
    Last edited by DA60; 08-09-12 at 01:40 PM.

  5. #1455
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, anytime the facts prove you wrong, it's a talking point? Convienent. And weak.
    All of the arguments have been made.

    I see your have moved to wings for your avatar. Were you airborne for a time?

  6. #1456
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    All of the arguments have been made.

    I see your have moved to wings for your avatar. Were you airborne for a time?
    Yes. And at my old site, WS, that's the avatar I used. A another veteran had been kind enough to design one a bit more personal. But, yes, I was HHB Divarty. I was a medic.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1457
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Telling the truth isn't exactly your strong suit. First, no one denies that the labor force has shrunk. In fact it's been shrinking for about a decade, in large part due to the aging of the baby boomers. That trend is accelerating and probably accounts for at least half of the decrease in the labor force under Obama. Second, and related to the previous point, it is no longer the case that the economy needs to add 200,000 jobs per month to keep unemployment steady. Most economists now say we need to add somewhere around 125,000 jobs/month to stay even.
    Apparantly you just read my posts and no one else's. Yes, the person I responded to above denied that the labor force has shrunk. Here, let me quote from their post that I replied to: "Despite your made up "real statistics," the labor force has not shrunk and there are more people working today than there were 3 years ago."

    Don't know how you missed that as you were accusing me of not telling the truth???

    And if you would read my post more carefully, I said that we needed to create about 200k jobs/month to bring unemployment down. Not simply keep it from going up. 125k jobs will just keep unemployment steady, it will not bring it down. This is solid proof that even liberals have no confidence in Obama and this administration. They aren't talking about bringing unemployment DOWN, they are too worried about just keeping it from going up! So they cite numbers like 125k jobs/month out of desperation. They aren't even thinking about bringing the unemployment number down, they are just desperately hoping to create the bare minimum amount of jobs just to keep it from rising!!!

    You are correct though, we need to create 125k jobs per month "to stay even". It's good to know you are satisfied with "staying even" with an 8.3% unemployment rate. I, on the other hand, would like to get back to 4.3%. In order to drop the unemployment rate like that, we need to create 200k jobs per month for quite a while. Not just a month or two, but like a year or two. Obama's philosophies prevent that from happening. He's a big spender, big government, redistributionist......not gonna happen under this Admin.

  8. #1458
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes. And at my old site, WS, that's the avatar I used. A another veteran had been kind enough to design one a bit more personal. But, yes, I was HHB Divarty. I was a medic.
    That is terrific. I am retired Army. I wore jump wings for my entire career. I loved jumping but never did get back to an airborne unit. For me it was military intelligence. Twenty years in a wide variety of places all over the world.

  9. #1459
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    That is terrific. I am retired Army. I wore jump wings for my entire career. I loved jumping but never did get back to an airborne unit. For me it was military intelligence. Twenty years in a wide variety of places all over the world.
    I had 60 jumps. Loved Saturday NO AWOL jumps from Huey's best. Hated mass tact jumps. It was a good tour. Seriously considered staying in, but I choose to move on to other bothers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1460
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I had 60 jumps. Loved Saturday NO AWOL jumps from Huey's best. Hated mass tact jumps. It was a good tour. Seriously considered staying in, but I choose to move on to other bothers.
    I envy you the jumps. I had a few from C-130s and a few more from C-141s. On the latter I was a stick leader so I was always first out on my side of the aircraft. I loved it.

    I got stuck in an inversion for a couple of minutes once. Very interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •