Page 14 of 149 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #131
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,057

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He put credit on the government, as the main weath and job creator and he's way off base with those remarks.

    The government can't create jobs, nor can it create wealth.
    Really - who in the heck built Hoover Dam and the TVA?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #132
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    We live in a society of 311 million people. Nobody does anything of that sort of substance on their own.
    Nobody built my business for me. I'm the one that borrowed the money. I'm the one that paid the taxes. I pay the note. It was my ass if it flopped. I don't recall a single person saying, "hey dude, don't worry. If your business flops, I'm going to be right their with you". Not my customers, the government, nobody.

    Obama's comments take away personal accomplishment and a sense of self worth for every ambitious person in this country. Pissin' on our parade, as the saying goes.

  3. #133
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Really - who in the heck built Hoover Dam and the TVA?
    Some private construction companies? Where did the money come from? Without the private sector, neither of those projects would have existed.

  4. #134
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Really - who in the heck built Hoover Dam and the TVA?

    Without the "private sector," there is no government. There's no money for Hoover Dam and the TVA. Perhaps he should do a speech about that. Ha!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Really - who in the heck built Hoover Dam and the TVA?
    The taxpayer. Stupid question.

  6. #136
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    This arguement is and the President's comments are to the point they're laughable.

  7. #137
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Obama is absolutely right in that the business success isn't completely due to the business owners. It is a joint partnership between the consumer and the owner.

    I've known a few people that have worked their asses off, but their business never got off the ground due to not enough consumers. Just because the business owners are hard working does not mean they will have a good business, they NEED consumers as well.

    You can't have a successful business without the owners AND the consumer
    .
    First of all, Obama didn't make any reference to the consumer. He was saying that the businesses couldn't have gotten where they are without government. Of course businesses need consumers, bu consumers didn't "build the business." They don't even create the demand. Marketing and a damned good product or service creates the demand- neither of which can occur without the hard work of the business owner.


    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    What's so hard to comprehend? In fact he even emphasized it by saying "The point is..."
    You say emphasized, I say backpeddled.
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  8. #138
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Maybe someone else has posted some of the rest of his speech, but here's the line, "You didn't build that."



    Obama to business owners: 'You didn't build that' | Fox News

    I don't have that much of a problem with what he said; although his writers should have phrased it differently. In his speech, Obama put the credit for building a successful business on "the system." That's a bit of a stretch.

    "It must be because I was so smart," he said, discounting the entrepreneur. "It must be because I work harder than everybody else," again discounting the amazing perseverance, talent and guts it takes to build a successful business.

    Successful business builders are smarter than the average bear. They do work harder than most. They make sacrifices others aren't willing to make. To short-change entrepreneurship in the name of, "We want to pay more in taxes," is disingenuous at best.

    I built a very successful business. I did it in spite of sometimes onerous government regulation. Did my government give me roads?? Well, duh.

    Edit: Now I know where Haymarket gets his talking points. This is his mantra as well. Party line. Sorry, Hay.
    Do you think this was a prepared speech? I had just assumed this was a more impromptu, off the cuff statement. If it was prepared in advance... if he let it go through like that... that's even worse.
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Maybe someone else has posted some of the rest of his speech, but here's the line, "You didn't build that."



    Obama to business owners: 'You didn't build that' | Fox News

    I don't have that much of a problem with what he said; although his writers should have phrased it differently. In his speech, Obama put the credit for building a successful business on "the system." That's a bit of a stretch.

    "It must be because I was so smart," he said, discounting the entrepreneur. "It must be because I work harder than everybody else," again discounting the amazing perseverance, talent and guts it takes to build a successful business.

    Successful business builders are smarter than the average bear. They do work harder than most. They make sacrifices others aren't willing to make. To short-change entrepreneurship in the name of, "We want to pay more in taxes," is disingenuous at best.

    I built a very successful business. I did it in spite of sometimes onerous government regulation. Did my government give me roads?? Well, duh.

    Edit: Now I know where Haymarket gets his talking points. This is his mantra as well. Party line. Sorry, Hay.
    95% of small businesses in the US are in one of 3 states. . .

    1) Failed (Chapter 7/11/13 filing)
    2) About to fail
    3) Barely surviving

    Truthfully, what the government does or doesn't do has little impact on a business' long-term survival. Ultimately, it's the businesses' management (or owners) that make or break it.

    Any business owner who blames Obama for his business failing, therefore, is dumb.

  10. #140
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    95% of small businesses in the US are in one of 3 states. . .

    1) Failed (Chapter 7/11/13 filing)
    2) About to fail
    3) Barely surviving

    Truthfully, what the government does or doesn't do has little impact on a business' long-term survival. Ultimately, it's the businesses' management (or owners) that make or break it.

    Any business owner who blames Obama for his business failing, therefore, is dumb.
    Tell that to all those oilfield service companies in South Louisiana that are losing their asses because of the drilling ban.

    Why do you think I'm working in West Texas, now, instead of South Louisiana?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •