Page 138 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #1371
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You keep ignoring
    which came first.
    I "ignored" nothing; I simply dismissed what you made up which had nothing to do with the point.

    Business came before taxes, period. That's all there is to it.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #1372
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post


    Nice bravado in the face of being utterly decimated.





    What "increased traffic"?

    If there's more business traffic, and they're paying five times the toll on top of that, then they're paying considerably more tolls than the average Joe in the family car.

    You imply it doesn't match the increased benefit, so dazzle us with all the figures -- how much more benefit, exactly, do businesses derive from the bridge, and how short does paying five times the toll fall?

    Numbers, math, documentation, all that. Keep in mind all that this "benefit" must outweigh, including the sum total of the tolls paid by passenger cars.
    What single business is paying a 5x greater amount directly and how does that marginal cost outweigh the increased number of customers to his door?

    This is so silly.

    It is your argument to prove that the business owner IS paying a greater share in relation to his benefit. I know that if a road or bridge did not exist before, and I compare traffic after it is built, especially in a city like SF, that benefit far outstrips the marginal, fractional increase of delivery costs.

    It is not even close.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 08-04-12 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #1373
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I "ignored" nothing; I simply dismissed what you made up which had nothing to do with the point.

    Business came before taxes, period. That's all there is to it.
    Community came before business, you lose again.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #1374
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the GOP didn't allow tax-breaks for businesses to hire more people.
    That is not what businesses are for. Some of us know that. Some of us do not.

  5. #1375
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    What single business is paying a 5x greater amount directly and how does that marginal cost outweigh the increased number of customers to his door?

    This is so silly.

    It is your argument to prove that the business owner IS paying a greater share in relation to his benefit.
    You see, your problem is that you don't follow arguments very well (a theme I will continue in my next post).

    My argument is:

    1) Private money, not tax money, got the Golden Gate Bridge built.

    2) As you point out, the bonds were paid back by tolls. Not taxes.

    This, of course, is plenty to shatter the idea that the Golden Gate Bridge was paid for out of tax dollars. It wasn't. And obliviously though you did, you helped show it.

    However, as you continued to push on the point, I also observed that:

    3) As the bonds were paid back by the people who use the bridge, looking at the tolls, business pay three to five times more to use it, and possibly more if they use vehicles with more than five axles.

    It's YOU who are trying to delve into an actual accounting of their "increased benefit" of the Golden Gate Bridge. You, of course, have provided absolutely no documentation toward this. I, however, have given you the actual toll schedule. If YOU wish to claim that it's not enough, then it's up to YOU to show it. My entire and sole claim is that yes, they pay considerably more. And if they run more traffic over the bridge, then they pay even more.

    So yes, it is indeed "so silly," because the feebleness of your attempt at argument was exposed and dispensed with several posts ago, yet you won't let it go. You insist on making it worse for yourself with each post.

    (Really -- you couldn't have looked up the toll schedule before you posted?)
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #1376
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    business-haters don't pass laws giving private businesses 30 million new customers.
    This law, Obamacare, uses the strategy of the not quite so indirect approach to end private health care in the US. It will take a while, but not a long while to see the results.

    We will become a socialist country in the Marxist model of many European-socialist nations. We will see high unemployment as the new normal. We will see more and more money taken from those who make new wealth to be given to those who do nothing other than vote themselves more...until the makers who can emigrate do. And then we shall see the inevitable collapse of society followed by a harder tyranny.

  7. #1377
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Community came before business, you lose again.
    Nope. This was my entire argument, and I'm correct:

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Tax dollars paid for all.
    Which came from the fruits of business. There's no chicken/egg relationship here; business came first.
    No one said anything about "community." That's something you made up and injected in. If you think it has anything to do with the actual point, it's because, indeed, you can't follow an argument very well.

    'Sall that needs to be said about that. If you have further to say, refer to this post; my responses won't change.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #1378
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    This law, Obamacare, uses the strategy of the not quite so indirect approach to end private health care in the US. It will take a while, but not a long while to see the results.
    So why are we nominating the guy who created RomneyCare?

  9. #1379
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    The private space industry is producing a better product at a lower cost than any government. I'm sure you're not advocating the societal benefits of nuclear bombs..are you?
    I think the ready availability of nuclear weapons has made the world safe from nuclear war. But it has also made the world safer for small, limited, conventional wars.

    I think there has been a very great societal benefit.

  10. #1380
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You mean like having our rivers catch on fire. Regualtion that stopped that was useless and harmful. Or like LA being so smog filled people died because they couldn't breath. We certainly need no reuglation there. And God knows, that the meat industry was just fine prior regulations concerning safety. Is this what you mean?

    There may be a place where somethign is over regulated, but you shouldn't speak of them in blanket form. Be specific, and deal with each one. Otherwise, we can be China with lead in toys and poisoning PB.
    Did government do that or did a population become more wealthy cause it?

    How do we filter laws that cause more harm than good? One simple way is to have provision that sunset every law. We could use a sliding scale. If a law is passed unanimously then allow it to run for a decade. Then expire it. If it passes with one vote let it run a year. Do not allow any law to be re-passed without a debate in both chambers of Congress. Eliminate the ability of any agency to develop rules that can be foisted upon the American public without debate and votes in both houses of Congress. Put every proposed rule and law on the net for a minimum of one month along with all of the hearings about the rules or laws prior to a vote.

    Immediately sunset the most costly laws and rules today with a minimum of 1% of those not yet discussed as above every month. Make no exceptions. Then the American people will begin to see that it is morning once again, in America.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •