Page 124 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #1231
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-21-14 @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I disagree. Heres why. I have several ventures and recently, along with a partner we decided to start another one. You and no one else are involved in that process. Without our decision to invest time, capital, stress, etc. there are NO new jobs. WITH our decision...that of me and my partner...we now have 11 employees and 12 people have full time income. I do not take full time income from the job. Without us...nothing.
    Nobody is disagreeing with any of that of course. That's great, you should get boatloads of credit for starting the business. That doesn't mean that nobody else helped make it possible too. Without those employees, it wouldn't be what it is today, would it?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...I dont at all agree with the 'message' because the message was not "we are all part of this great community" but rather "Reelect me and I will give you more **** you havent earned by taking from those that have!"
    You're just making things up and getting mad about them. Nobody said anything like that.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  2. #1232
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    He isn't pointing out anything at all about my posts. He's just ranting about how he hates liberals.
    He explained, in clear terms. what he thinks of disengenuous partisan posts like yours. If the truth hurts, that just the way life is.
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  3. #1233
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-21-14 @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    He explained, in clear terms. what he thinks of disengenuous partisan posts like yours. If the truth hurts, that just the way life is.
    LOL no kiddo. He didn't respond to even one of my points. He just babbled about things he hates about liberals.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  4. #1234
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,489
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    This is going to be a somewhat long post...sorry.
    teamosil;1060737004]What? Created everything for them? Read the speech again:

    "There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back.
    There is absolutely NOTHING stopping those people from doing so currently, no matter WHO is president.
    They know they didnít -- look, if youíve been successful, you didnít get there on your own. You didnít get there on your own. Iím always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there."
    I'll tell you right now...I've gotten to where I'm at EXACTLY because I've worked harder than everyone else around me. Why did I get a promotion? Because I'm better than the other applicants that were up for promotion. Why did I get a higher raise? Because I yielded better results over the course of the period. No one helped me, no one held my hand, no said "Hey, kevin, I'm gonna give you a hand here, so you can take the credit, and get the bennies after the fact."
    "If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.
    Yes. I call them every sunday. They're my parents.
    There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.
    Who gets paid a pretty darn good salary, considering they only work 9 months outa the year.
    Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.
    None of THEM worked for free, either...and, ever since Lincoln, none of them were FORCED to do so.
    Somebody invested in roads and bridges.
    Yes. They're called tax payers, which, last time I checked, business owners are a part of that club.
    If youíve got a business -- you didnít build that. Somebody else made that happen.
    Sure they did, and they were paid for their services...so?
    The Internet didnít get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
    No, government research created it FIRST for the military. That it made it's way into the civilian life is simply due to the nature of the internet itself. Also, again, those researchers got paid (WELL) for their services.

    "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.
    100% true.
    There are some things, just like fighting fires, we donít do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.
    Debatable. But also irrelevant. Current tax rates already afford us firefighters, do they not? Beyond that, most of the US land area is covered and protected by volunteer firemen.
    "So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. Thatís how we funded the G.I. Bill. Thatís how we created the middle class. Thatís how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. Thatís how we invented the Internet. Thatís how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and thatís the reason Iím running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. Youíre not on your own, weíre in this together."
    Reading between the lines, I can easily see why one would think this message is about making others "pay their fair share", which is code for further taxing the wealthy.

    I am reminded of a little story about a group of people who go out to get some beers...
    "Half full or half empty doesn't matter. What matters is, you've only got half a glass...so what are you going to do about it?" - Me
    www.kohlerimaging.com

  5. #1235
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-21-14 @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I've gotten to where I'm at EXACTLY because I've worked harder than everyone else around me. Why did I get a promotion? Because I'm better than the other applicants that were up for promotion. Why did I get a higher raise? Because I yielded better results over the course of the period. No one helped me, no one held my hand, no said "Hey, kevin, I'm gonna give you a hand here, so you can take the credit, and get the bennies after the fact."
    That just isn't reality. In reality your success depends on the efforts of millions of others. Where would you be if it were not for the guy who invented the polio vaccine in 1955? Where would you be if the country had no roads? If it had been taken over by the Nazis? If the currency were experiencing 1,500% inflation every year? If warlords rules the neighborhood you lived in growing up who captured you as a slave? If you couldn't trust that the water won't make you sick? If you were never taught how to read? Etc.

    This is not in any way about trying to diminish your contributions. In fact, it should make you more proud of what you've accomplished. There are other people, many of whom you may not ever meet, who you are helping succeed by doing all those things. The point isn't that small business owners suck or something ridiculous. The point is that we are all interconnected. The accomplishments of one person ripple out to boost up many other people, and in turn, those people are able to accomplish more themselves, causing more ripples to go out. The accomplishments might be opening a business, they might be inventing something, they might be helping a 6 year old finally figure out what math is about, they might be any of a huge list of things. All the people accomplishing all those things should be able to feel proud of what they contribute, but for some reason, there seems to be this notion on the right that any of those people who aren't rich and don't own businesses have done nothing of value and should be demeaned. You guys need to cut that out. It's gross and it just plain isn't true.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Who gets paid a pretty darn good salary, considering they only work 9 months outa the year. None of THEM worked for free, either...and, ever since Lincoln, none of them were FORCED to do so.
    Of course. Business owners profit off their labors too. Why do you think the fact that teachers and employees are paid means they deserve no credit, but you don't think that with regards to owners?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Yes. They're called tax payers, which, last time I checked, business owners are a part of that club.
    Absolutely and they should definitely be proud of that. That's the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    100% true.
    That is the summary of the whole speech that you are saying is 100% true...
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #1236
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Yep...Ive read the speech. I know PRECISELY what he was saying and who he was saying it to. The reality is that most of those successful businessmen? They DID in fact pay for those roads, bridges, and existing infrastructure as citizens, and likely FAR MORE than the people Obama was pandering to. The wealthy pay the lions share of property and every other type of income taxes. Businesses...thats a bit of a separate deal. I own businesses. Those roads? That infrastructure/ Hell yes I paid for them. My business? The investment of capital and startup costs? Did that too. But hey. Never let facts get in the way of stirring up a bunch of 'disenfranchised' voters.

    That message was all about pandering. He just did it in such a stupid way that it has reached up and smacked him in the teeth.
    Amen brother.
    ďMr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.Ē ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Ė Thomas Jefferson

  7. #1237
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I disagree. Heres why. I have several ventures and recently, along with a partner we decided to start another one. You and no one else are involved in that process. Without our decision to invest time, capital, stress, etc. there are NO new jobs. WITH our decision...that of me and my partner...we now have 11 employees and 12 people have full time income. I do not take full time income from the job. Without us...nothing. Now...we all paid taxes prior to that decision. We all built those roads. I bust my ass in planning for a better future for myself and my family. Yes...that holds reward, but believe me...I PAY taxes...a LOT of taxes. I pay taxes on homes, rentals, and a commercial property. As a citizen I EXPECT to. As a businessman...someone that TAKES risk and provides for jobs, I get a little tired of the whiny little ****s that believe we are all somehow equal partners in this process and they are entitled to MORE of the profits my work creates. I get tired of the 'fair share' rhetoric, because thats all it is. Hell...lets be honest...if more people carried their own 'fair share' they wouldnt be such a drain on society. I get tired of the politicians and their pandering messages. They KEEP crippled dependent pets crippled and dependent...and voting for them.

    No...I dont at all agree with the 'message' because the message was not "we are all part of this great community" but rather "Reelect me and I will give you more **** you havent earned by taking from those that have!" See...YOU think that message is awesome. I find it repugnant. You think Im a mean evil cruel horrible capitalist that hates poor people. The reality is...well...twofold. 1-I couldnt give a **** what you think and 2-I think it is inhuman to not only enable people to remain crippled and dependent but to CAUSE it. You are fine with people groveling for crumbs and endorse those messages...take from the rich so the poor can have more crumbs. My message is hey...stand the **** up. Go fight for those jobs from the illegal immigrants. Work two and three jobs to provide for yourself and your family. Plan for a future and stop expecting politicians to save you.

    You see where we differ...
    Double amen. Our government's constant pursuit of all things equality will be the undoing of this country. Equality stops at enforcement of the law and the Constitution. After that, its put up or shut up time. If someone doesn't want to put forth the effort or risk to succeed, they fail. Thats the risk/reward of this beautiful thing we call liberty. Now, that doesn't mean the failure has to sleep in the street. But it definitely doesn't mean he expects you to give him everything you worked for either. I don't see any of the Olympians giving half of their gold medal to anyone right now on TV. I see Ryan Lochte standing on top of the podium enjoying his win. I see a guy standing up there that knows he worked for that medal. And I see Michael Phelps in the pool realizing he didn't work as hard as he should've. What I don't see is Phelps at the bottom of the podium with his hand out. There are winners and losers guys. Thats the way it is. If you don't like, move to another country. Ours is built on winners and losers.
    ďMr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.Ē ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Ė Thomas Jefferson

  8. #1238
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,290

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Double amen. Our government's constant pursuit of all things equality will be the undoing of this country. Equality stops at enforcement of the law and the Constitution. After that, its put up or shut up time. If someone doesn't want to put forth the effort or risk to succeed, they fail. Thats the risk/reward of this beautiful thing we call liberty. Now, that doesn't mean the failure has to sleep in the street. But it definitely doesn't mean he expects you to give him everything you worked for either. I don't see any of the Olympians giving half of their gold medal to anyone right now on TV. I see Ryan Lochte standing on top of the podium enjoying his win. I see a guy standing up there that knows he worked for that medal. And I see Michael Phelps in the pool realizing he didn't work as hard as he should've. What I don't see is Phelps at the bottom of the podium with his hand out. There are winners and losers guys. Thats the way it is. If you don't like, move to another country. Ours is built on winners and losers.
    Unfortunately, we have a rather large percentage of our country that are "whiners and losers" and boy, dont dems know how to strum them like a well worn base.The comical part is, hell...even Obama gets the whole winning thing. He didnt donate the proceeds to the book he (couch cough) 'wrote' to all the poor, hell no. He gave a huge junk of it to JP Morgan to invest. His comments, which were delivered so poorly that they have smacked him in the face 1-show how goofy he is without his teleprompter and any time he adopts that folksy, "I'm a brotherner, just like y'all" dialect, and 2-he has every intention of continuing to pander to the crippled and dependent pets. That comment was never meant to attack business owners...it was meant to rile the poor to re-elect him so they could lay claim to what is 'rightfully' theirs.

  9. #1239
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Unfortunately, we have a rather large percentage of our country that are "whiners and losers"
    Why can't liberals go do their jobs without whining and complaining? They whine and complain about everything. The whining and complaining never stops. They just don't know any better, they whine and complain to no end.

  10. #1240
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    19,018

    Re: No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    Why can't liberals go do their jobs without whining and complaining? They whine and complain about everything. The whining and complaining never stops. They just don't know any better, they whine and complain to no end.
    What a whiny and complainey statement.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that comes in a bucket.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •