Page 122 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #1211
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    "You didn't build that" is the rephrasing of an ideological meme first articulated by Berkeley linguist George Lakoff. It is anything but an out of context gaff, which I mistakenly believed originally. Lakoff argues against the self-made American or basically repackages democratic socialism by focusing on the role of government in enabling individual success. That's fine if your into that sorta thing...but it is not "innocuous".
    Forget about whatever conspiracy theory you've got going there, just read the whole actual speech by Obama:

    "There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

    "If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

    "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

    "So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the G.I. Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together."

    Obviously there isn't anything offensive about that, right?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  2. #1212
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Forget about whatever conspiracy theory you've got going there, just read the whole actual speech by Obama...Obviously there isn't anything offensive about that, right?
    Wrong, if the speech had been gave by someone who genuinley cared about this country I'd not find anything offensive about it. Since it was vomited forth from the mouth of a hypocrite who hates this country, hates anyone who disagrees with him, stands up to him as well as his pro-government policies, is so anxious to grovel on his knees while begging other heads of states forgiveness I find the whole speech highly offensive.

    Because it's insulting to my intelligence that such a liar would expect me to believe anything he spewed.

  3. #1213
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by LughLamfada View Post
    Wrong, if the speech had been gave by someone who genuinley cared about this country I'd not find anything offensive about it. Since it was vomited forth from the mouth of a hypocrite who hates this country, hates anyone who disagrees with him, stands up to him as well as his pro-government policies, is so anxious to grovel on his knees while begging other heads of states forgiveness I find the whole speech highly offensive.

    Because it's insulting to my intelligence that such a liar would expect me to believe anything he spewed.
    So you're just saying that you think everything Obama says sucks because you hate Obama. So you admit that you aren't really smart enough to vote?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  4. #1214
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    So you're just saying that you think everything Obama says sucks because you hate Obama. So you admit that you aren't really smart enough to vote?
    I made a statement no more, no less. If you want to play the "stick words in someone's mouth game" go try your crude one someone else. I can't stand what the individual stands for. I was clear about that before, but if you're to dense to accept that no worries. As per the rest of your spew I'm a judge (Democrat judge I will add) in my voting district. My parents are the Democrat commissioners in their township.

    You want to spew more smart remarks when you know nothing about me bub, you go right ahead.

    I'll da*n well add I've voted every election since I was 18 years old, and I always voted from a well informed standpoint. From the way you just attacked my opinion you're obviously some nut who feels the need to pigeonhole everyone. Again I say, no worries because you, or any other liberal nuts like you can try that tact on me all you like online, or off.
    Last edited by LughLamfada; 07-28-12 at 01:06 PM.

  5. #1215
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by LughLamfada View Post
    I made a statement no more, no less. If you want to play the "stick words in someone's mouth game" go try your crude one someone else. I can't stand what the individual stands for. I was clear about that before, but if you're to dense to accept that no worries. As per the rest of your spew I'm a judge (Democrat judge I will add) in my voting district. My parents are the Democrat commissioners in their township.

    You want to spew more smart remarks when you know nothing about me bub, you go right ahead.

    I'll da*n well add I've voted every election since I was 18 years old, and I always voted from a well informed standpoint. From the way you just attacked my opinion you're obviously some nut who feels the need to pigeonhole everyone. Again I say, no worries because you, or any other liberal nuts like you can try that tact on me all you like online, or off.
    Yeeehaaaw I'z can jus tells by lookin at that Obama whats that he aint noes good... You think that level of understanding of politics qualifies you to vote? Why not just throw darts at a dartboard instead?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #1216
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Yeeehaaaw I'z can jus tells by lookin at that Obama whats that he aint noes good... You think that level of understanding of politics qualifies you to vote? Why not just throw darts at a dartboard instead?
    The first part of what you spewed is just that, spew of the most idiotic sort, and not worth responding to since you're displaying troll like behavior to the max. As previously stated, you want to attempt to play your pathetic games with me it won't work freak.

    I make informed opinions of the candidates in question. From the look of how you spew on here when someone disagrees with you that's more than you'll ever be capable of doing. From your further spew you think we should establish extraordinary qualifications for people to vote.

    Personally, I think someone should be a citizen, have proof of who they are, and it would be a good thing if they had a basic grasp of who as well as what they're voting for. That's probably asking to much of someone such as you, but that's just to bad bub.

    What are your qualifications the color of someone's hide? How about their religion? Perhaps we should have IQ tests set up outside the voting booths to satisfy your desire to pigeonhole everyone?

    Get your dart board out jerk because you'll be using it not me. I'm still studying the candidates who are running against the idiot currently enthroned in the high office, and will make a informed decision regardless of what you, or anyone else tries to force upon me with mockery, and ridicule.

  7. #1217
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by LughLamfada View Post
    The first part of what you spewed is just that, spew of the most idiotic sort, and not worth responding to since you're displaying troll like behavior to the max. As previously stated, you want to attempt to play your pathetic games with me it won't work freak.
    What are you talking about kiddo? Your position, at least what you have explained of it, is that it doesn't matter what actual policies Obama advocates, you can just tell he's bad people, and therefore everything he says or does is bad. Right? Is there more to it than that? If so, lets hear it.

    Quote Originally Posted by LughLamfada View Post
    I make informed opinions of the candidates in question. From the look of how you spew on here when someone disagrees with you that's more than you'll ever be capable of doing. From your further spew you think we should establish extraordinary qualifications for people to vote.
    No, I don't think we should have qualifications. I think that you should take a long hard look at yourself and ask yourself whether you really think you should be voting. If you really are just thinking on the level of gut instinct about which politicians intuitively seem like bad people to you, then the answer is obviously that you should not. If you cared about your country, you would leave the big decisions to people who are more able to make those decisions. I don't think it should be against the law for you to vote, I think you should recognize that you aren't well equipped to take on that responsibility.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  8. #1218
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What are you talking about kiddo? Your position, at least what you have explained of it, is that it doesn't matter what actual policies Obama advocates, you can just tell he's bad people, and therefore everything he says or does is bad. Right? Is there more to it than that? If so, lets hear it.



    No, I don't think we should have qualifications. I think that you should take a long hard look at yourself and ask yourself whether you really think you should be voting. If you really are just thinking on the level of gut instinct about which politicians intuitively seem like bad people to you, then the answer is obviously that you should not. If you cared about your country, you would leave the big decisions to people who are more able to make those decisions. I don't think it should be against the law for you to vote, I think you should recognize that you aren't well equipped to take on that responsibility.
    I've stated what I think about the individual in question. Quantifying myself to a troll, such as yourself, is a complete waste of my time because you don't care about what anyone feels, or thinks IF they disagree with you. Now, you are obviously super intent on pigeonholing others (especially me from your attacks) as well as attempting to talk down to anyone who disagrees with you. You can take your pathetic attempts at insulting my intelligence as well as my personal opinions, and shove them. I've fought, and bled for my country which is more than someone who spews venom like you (in all liklihood) ever has, or ever will.

    I don't need a sad, pathetic, hate filled libeal freak such as yourself to make any decisions for me.

    I don't need a sad, pathetic, hate filled liberal freak such as yourself to make some sickening, pathetic attempt in informing me of what I'm capable of, and what I'm not.

    Your "fearless leader" is a coward, a liar, and a hypocrite of the worst sort. IF such a piece of lying trash told me the sun rose in the East, and set in the West I'd double check before putting any trust in what such a piece of slime said.

    I care about not only my country, but myself, and my fellow citizens no matter who they are, what color their hide, their religion, etc. I care enough to not trust someone who grovels, lies, and hates America.

    I also care about anyone's right to vote even a bottom feeder such as yourself. If you feel the need to vote for the thing then by all means vote for it.

    You'd make a good modern day politician since you obviously think your ability to dictate, dominate, and control other people's lives is not only for the good of said people, but for their overall benefit. You'd also have made a good Communist in Stalin's Russia, or a good Nazi under Hitler.
    Last edited by LughLamfada; 07-28-12 at 02:44 PM.

  9. #1219
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that."

    Quote Originally Posted by LughLamfada View Post
    I've stated what I think about the individual in question. Quantifying myself to a troll, such as yourself, is a complete waste of my time because you don't care about what anyone feels, or thinks IF they disagree with you. Now, you are obviously super intent on pigeonholing others (especially me from your attacks) as well as attempting to talk down to anyone who disagrees with you. You can take your pathetic attempts at insulting my intelligence as well as my personal opinions, and shove them. I've fought, and bled for my country which is more than someone who spews venom like you (in all liklihood) ever has, or ever will.

    I don't need a sad, pathetic, hate filled libeal freak such as yourself to make any decisions for me.

    I don't need a sad, pathetic, hate filled liberal freak such as yourself make some sickening, pathetic attempt in informing me of what I'm capable of, and what I'm not.

    Your "fearless leader" is a coward, a liar, and a hypocrite of the worst sort. IF such a piece of lying trash told me the sun rose in the East, and set in the West I'd double check before putting any trust in what such a piece of slime said.

    I care about not only my country, but myself, and my fellow citizens no matter who they are, what color their hide, their religion, etc. I care enough to not trust someone who grovels, lies, and hates America.

    I also care about anyone's right to vote even a bottom feeder such as yourself. If you feel the need to vote for the thing then by all means vote for it.

    You'd make a good modern day politician since you obviously think your ability to dictate, dominate, and control other people's lives is not only for the good of said people, but for their overall benefit. You'd also have made a good Communist in Stalin's Russia, or a good Nazi under Hitler.
    So, you're just confirming what I said? That your position is "Yeeehaaaw I'z can jus tells by lookin at that Obama whats that he aint noes good..." Right?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  10. #1220
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13

    No dumb ass, but you've finished confirming what I have been thinking about you. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    So, you're just confirming what I said? That your position is "Yeeehaaaw I'z can jus tells by lookin at that Obama whats that he aint noes good..." Right?
    You're obviously a really stupid troll. You like to babble while repeatedly attempting to stick words in other peoples mouths. I think for myself, and am proud my parents taught me to do such. I also encourage others to do said same which is more than pond scum like ever will, or will ever want others to do from what you've stated repeatedly.

    If none of what I went over is "good enough" for your "superior by your own definition" liberal mindset, tough sh*t sherlock.

    This election will be defined by the paraphrasing of a old saying, "Better the devil you don't know than the one you do".

    Now, you go ahead, and troll away some more if you need to bub. I don't plan on responding to any more of your idiotic troll posts in this thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •