Page 104 of 149 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #1031
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    double post
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #1032
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Oh so the rich that pay most of the taxes should not own the roads and bridges, the poor who never paid a dime in taxes should own them. I don't get it, if the government is so helpful making businesses successful, why do we have more poor now than ever?
    The poor do pay fuel taxes and:

    The United States Highway Trust Fund is a transportation fund which receives money from a federal fuel tax of 18.4 cents per gallon on gasoline and 24.4 cents per gallon of diesel fuel and related excise taxes.[1] It currently has three accounts, the Highway Account which funds road construction, a smaller 'Mass Transit Account' which supports mass transit and also a 'Leaking Underground Storage Tank Trust Fund'. It was established 1956 to finance the United States Interstate Highway System and certain other roads. The Mass Transit Fund was created in 1982. The federal tax on motor fuels yielded $28.2 billion in 2006.[2] In 2008 the fund required an additional $8 billion from general taxation due to reduced receipts from fuel tax in order to meet its obligations.

    Highway Trust Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  3. #1033
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:49 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The poor do pay fuel taxes and:

    The United States Highway Trust Fund is a transportation fund which receives money from a federal fuel tax of 18.4 cents per gallon on gasoline and 24.4 cents per gallon of diesel fuel and related excise taxes.[1] It currently has three accounts, the Highway Account which funds road construction, a smaller 'Mass Transit Account' which supports mass transit and also a 'Leaking Underground Storage Tank Trust Fund'. It was established 1956 to finance the United States Interstate Highway System and certain other roads. The Mass Transit Fund was created in 1982. The federal tax on motor fuels yielded $28.2 billion in 2006.[2] In 2008 the fund required an additional $8 billion from general taxation due to reduced receipts from fuel tax in order to meet its obligations.

    Highway Trust Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I didn't know all the poor have cars, I know they all have flat screen tv's and smart phones. But a car, I guess, if you say so. Then I would say their not poor.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  4. #1034
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    I didn't know all the poor have cars, I know they all have flat screen tv's and smart phones. But a car, I guess, if you say so. Then I would say their not poor.
    paying taxes again:

    The federal telephone excise tax is a statutory federal excise tax imposed under the Internal Revenue Code in the United States under 26 U.S.C. § 4251 on amounts paid for certain "communications services." The tax was to be imposed on the person paying for the communications services (such as a customer of a telephone company) but, under 26 U.S.C. § 4291, is collected from the customer by the "person receiving any payment for facilities or services" on which the tax is imposed (i.e., is collected by the telephone company, which files a quarterly Form 720 excise return and forwards the tax to the Internal Revenue Service).
    Federal telephone excise tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #1035
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    Because he is smart and has studied and thought about matters of business for most of his life. Just because he hasn't been a businessman doesn't mean that he doesn't understand the economic and social principles behind business. It's a bunk argument. It'd be like me saying that because you have never held high political office you could never have an informed opinion on politics.
    No, he's not smart. He's educated.

    The whole barbaric notion that collective society is responsible for all individual success is the failed garbage of Socialism. Destruction is the only achievement of collective philosophy. People like Obama are incompetent dictators who govern by force, taxation, regulation, and executive order. The two enemies of their philosophy are logic and reason. Which is why virtually all arguments from the left are both illogical and unreasonable.

    Obama's comments reveal his philosophy of "collectivism". I'll call it precisely what it is. But their lifestyles completely contradict their philosophy. His salary is only possible because of the successes of private individuals and businesses who have earned profits. Same goes for teachers, cops, firemen, and all other public workers. If it weren't for private individuals producing goods and services and earning profits, there would be no money to pay them anything. No money to build a school. No money to pay Medicare payments. No money to pay unemployment benefits. The entire society and all the services we are able to take advantage of ride on the backs of private individuals and business that produce.

    But the scabs preach that businesses wouldn't succeed if it were for government and society. The reverse is much more true.

    These scabs don't want my money, they just want me to lose it. They don't want to be successful, they just want me to fail. They don't want my business, they just want me to lose it. The achievements of man's mind and labor are what built this nation. The philosophy of Obama seeks to diminish that by depriving men of their rightful claim to their own success, and by robbing the individual of earned profits. They don't want to run my business, they want my business to exist for the sake of society over my own sake. Society relies on businesses, but these scabs believe that businesses should exist while profits are non-existent. They are illogical. They believe profits belong to society while risks belong to individuals. They pronounce responsibility for all the successes, and denounce responsibility for all the failures and costs. To them it's Private Profit vs. Public Good. But in their ignorance, they fail to realize that without private profits, there could never be public good. They are living examples of trickle down economics, yet they curse it.

    Looters are exactly that. If you desire to make more money, then go start a business. After all, government and society have already done most of the work for you right? Go start a business, there's a road outside, so you can gaurantee it's success! Feel confident that your own "smarts" and your own "hard work" aren't necessary for having a successful business. After all, Obama said so himself. Society will ensure the success of your business. Good luck to you.

  6. #1036
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    Wrong again! I am not government, nor is my business. I am a private citizen and business owner. Neither I nor my business have anything to do with laws Congress passes. I do not get a vote on legislation.
    If you are an American citizen you do get a vote on legislation, albeit indirectly. That's why you go to the polls every November-to put people in office who will act as your proxy and vote for your interests-and that includes the laws that Congress passes. And you are the government. Remember We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America...
    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    Dear lord, all the examples you listed are services WE PAY FOR. WE are responsible for those things, not the government. I mean, this is pretty elementary here. What don't you understand? Before the government can build a road, they first must tax the profits of private individuals and businesses. Before the State pays a teacher, they must first collect taxes from private individuals and businesses. Before they do ANYTHING, they must first tax the profits made in the private sector in order to pay for it!!!
    You are arguing with a chicken/egg argument in this case. It does not matter which came first, the two systems(private and government) have evolved together over the last several hundred years in this country. And I have never claimed that we don't pay for these services with our tax dollars. I nor anyone else on this board has made the claim that government can operate without taxes. The the point is, those taxes we pay are used by the government to promote all of our interests-economic ones included. Are you suggesting that we don't need government in order for our economy to be successful?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    I don't care what drivvle you put out there. Obama IS speaking about government in the context of a separate entity. Your mind is convoluted.
    You can insult me all that you want, but Obama is clearly pointing out that the two entities are interconnected and benefit from the existence of one another. For example: The government makes sure that one of your larger competitors is not practicing anti-competitive measures to put you out of business and monopolize a market, and you are providing the government with taxes both directly from the income you make from your business as well as the taxes paid by your workers(assuming you are paying them enough that they can afford to pay taxes).

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    The government exists BECAUSE OF INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES PAYING TAXES. Now, would you care to compare the amounts paid by business owners with the amounts paid by people like you? Who don't own a business, but simply work for one? People like you want to share in the successes and the profits and in all the credit, but you do not wish to share in my risk, my costs, my sacrifices, my workload, or my failures. I'll make a deal with any employee, I'll share my profits if you'll share my costs as well. That includes paying half of your own salary, half of your own benefits, half of the electric bill, half of the land payments, half of the taxes, half of the advertising budget, half of All the other expenses. No, no, no....no employee of mine would take that deal.
    Absolutely incorrect. The government exists because our ancestors fought for it (see the Declaration of Independence) and found fit to define it (see the Constitution of the United States). Our tax dollars fund it, but it exists because we as a nation decided we were better off with one, than without. That'd be like me saying that the only reason your business exists is because we have a monetary policy in this country(or are you forgetting that money doesn't grow on trees, but is made by the US Treasury?!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post


    It burns me up that people like you and Thunder have the audacity to claim an ounce of responsibility for my success. If I sell a product you need or want, you aren't doing me a favor by buying it. I'm providing you a good or service, and you are paying me for it. There's no emotional attachment involved. You are getting a service, and in return, I'm getting your money. What does government have to do with that? NOTHING. Yet they get a slice of it don't they? You bet they do.
    I am also a businessman, and I thank the heavens every day that we have the amazing government that we do that creates an environment of monetary policy, environmental regulation, military, education, infrastructure, police, judiciary services etc etc. that allow me, my family and my business to have an opportunity to thrive in a healthy, stable, fair and safe environment. While recognizing that my own effort is the cause for my success(and Obama has praised this type of individual initiative on many occasions), I also recognize that the taxes that I pay help to ensure that not only I , but my children will benefit from this same business climate in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    Scabs. They confiscate wealth, they do not produce it. And in righteous indignation, you claim non-profit ventures are more virtuous than for profit ventures. Even tho profit is what makes YOUR lifestyle possible.
    They may "confiscate wealth", but I think you are forgetting that this money that we all pay through taxes is put to work in a myriad of ways to benefit all of us. I am very sorry that you are so angry and that you believe that there is no place for a strong and well-funded government in our society. If you hate it so much I really recommend you move to a developing nation where the ability of governments to collect taxes and invest in vital infrastructure and services in order to promote healthy business climates is non-existent. My guess is that you'd soon be back, ready to embrace the US government that you currently so vigourously criticize and hate.

  7. #1037
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    However there's people on this forum who aren't suggesting that only those who suggest he literally meant "the individual plays no part in business creation" are the ones that are wrong and are just purposefully misconstruing things to attack the President but rather that ANYONE who isn't directly buying the argument of "he's specifically meaning 'roads and bridges' when he says 'didn't build that'" is doing such a thing.

    Explain to me how the interpritation that Obama is suggesting it is not you, the individual, that "built" the business but rather it is everyone whose actions contributed to what finally led to it's creation (you, being one of multiple parts of that) is inconsistent with the context and doens't make sense.

    If you're not one of those saying the President's peoples explaination of it SPECIFICALLY referencing "roads and bridges" is the only legitimate or reasonable way to interpret it, then there's no issue.
    Holy crap, someone draw me a map so I can follow that first sentence/paragraph!

    IMO the sentence ... or clause in question was specifically referring back to roads and bridges. The paragraph meant just what he said it meant when he said, "point is...."
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #1038
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    No, he's not smart. He's educated.

    The whole barbaric notion that collective society is responsible for all individual success is the failed garbage of Socialism. Destruction is the only achievement of collective philosophy. People like Obama are incompetent dictators who govern by force, taxation, regulation, and executive order. The two enemies of their philosophy are logic and reason. Which is why virtually all arguments from the left are both illogical and unreasonable.
    Once again, no one ever said that collective government is responsible for ALL individual success. I am not saying that. Obama is not saying that. No one on this board is saying that. Please demonstrate to me where I have ever said that! All I have ever said is that government is and important contributor to the success of our economy. QUIT SAYING THAT I SAID THAT IT RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL SUCCESS!
    And, actually, collectivism is alive and well in EVERY successful country on the planet. Give me one example of a successful economy that does combine capitalism with collectivism. Go ahead. Name me one. Just one!
    Obama is a dictator. Go ahead, give me some specific examples of this. Those are strong words, so I hope you have evidence to back it up.
    And Obama, by the way, is smart and educated. Sorry pal, but you do not obtain the academic credentials he has just by being one or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    Obama's comments reveal his philosophy of "collectivism". I'll call it precisely what it is. But their lifestyles completely contradict their philosophy. His salary is only possible because of the successes of private individuals and businesses who have earned profits. Same goes for teachers, cops, firemen, and all other public workers. If it weren't for private individuals producing goods and services and earning profits, there would be no money to pay them anything. No money to build a school. No money to pay Medicare payments. No money to pay unemployment benefits. The entire society and all the services we are able to take advantage of ride on the backs of private individuals and business that produce.
    To be a Collectivist does not mean that you don't believe that there is not a place for Capitalism. They are not mutually exclusive. Collectivists, in many cases, simply believe that there are some things that should be best left to the government, and others to the private sector. Once again, show give me and example of one successful economy in the world does that does not combine collective socialist government with the free market.

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post

    These scabs don't want my money, they just want me to lose it. They don't want to be successful, they just want me to fail. They don't want my business, they just want me to lose it. The achievements of man's mind and labor are what built this nation. The philosophy of Obama seeks to diminish that by depriving men of their rightful claim to their own success, and by robbing the individual of earned profits. They don't want to run my business, they want my business to exist for the sake of society over my own sake. Society relies on businesses, but these scabs believe that businesses should exist while profits are non-existent. They are illogical. They believe profits belong to society while risks belong to individuals. They pronounce responsibility for all the successes, and denounce responsibility for all the failures and costs. To them it's Private Profit vs. Public Good. But in their ignorance, they fail to realize that without private profits, there could never be public good. They are living examples of trickle down economics, yet they curse it.
    I want you to succeed and so does the government. you yourself have said in one of your previous posts that government cannot exist without tax money. So why then, would they possibly want to make you fail?!! You are contradicting yourself with your very own logic. The more successful you are the better the odds that they will be able to raise the taxes they believe they need to operate the government and the better chances they would have to get reelected!
    Also, they do not take responsibility for all of the successes for business. Once again, you keep saying that, but it is not true. Show me the text of a speech where Obama ever said that.
    I agree with you that without private profit there could be no public good. But I also would add that without public good, there would be very little private profit to be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    Looters are exactly that. If you desire to make more money, then go start a business. After all, government and society have already done most of the work for you right? Go start a business, there's a road outside, so you can gaurantee it's success! Feel confident that your own "smarts" and your own "hard work" aren't necessary for having a successful business. After all, Obama said so himself. Society will ensure the success of your business. Good luck to you.
    Obama never said that smarts and hard work aren't necessary for a successful business. All he is saying is that individual initiative can best thrive when it is supported by collective governance. Once again, the two things are NOT exclusive of one another.

  9. #1039
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Holy crap, someone draw me a map so I can follow that first sentence/paragraph!

    IMO the sentence ... or clause in question was specifically referring back to roads and bridges. The paragraph meant just what he said it meant when he said, "point is...."
    I know this is anti-Obama and therefore you have trouble with it. When Obama talked about business owners working hard or being smart and then others also have those qualities what do you think he was implying.

    It seems that the campaign response so far has been to look to road and bridges phrases to wiggle out of what he truly believes. America should not be a country of equal opportunity but one of equal results. Now he did not say that, but that is my interpretation.

  10. #1040
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Holy crap, someone draw me a map so I can follow that first sentence/paragraph!

    IMO the sentence ... or clause in question was specifically referring back to roads and bridges. The paragraph meant just what he said it meant when he said, "point is...."
    Haha. Yeah. I had problems following the grammatical structure of his last post as well!! I think he just got excited and forgot about those periods and commas on his keyboard!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •