Page 103 of 149 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1482

Thread: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

  1. #1021
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    all join hands and sing along-------------" I'd like to buy the world a coke......" then "cum by yah, cum by yah" then a big finish with " hare krishna,hare krishna" or maybe 'colorado rocky mountain high" let that defective liberal gene run free---------its DRD4 if you would like to look it up.
    I have found that in political debate it is best to stick to logic. Otherwise, you just look someone who is more interested in name calling than actually educating someone else or learning from someone else.

  2. #1022
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    Obama has never said that the private sector aren't Americans. Why would you imply that he, or anyone else on this message board, says otherwise?!!
    I didn't imply that Obama said that. I implied that the poster I was replying to thought that. I did imply that President Obama doesn't understand, business, and it's true. How could he?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #1023
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,492

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    I think he should have to pay taxes on his earnings just like everyone else in society who can afford to do so. That is all. If some of that money should eventually be used by the government to continue funding public swim pools for the next Mark Spitz, then the system has come full cycle and worked just as it should. See, isn't collectivism great!
    Paying taxes is irrelevant. It's how much, and what it's spent on.

    The sad part is U.S. rich bitches are better about paying their taxes than in most other large economies. Don't brow-beat taxpayers for being good taxpayers. Wait, if you're a liberal, I suppose doing the opposite to what makes sense seems the appropriate thing to do?

    Globally Speaking, American Taxpayers are Pushovers - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    Non-contributors love to bitch about the contributors in all societies, it's human nature. Despicable, but natural.

  4. #1024
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    No one here ever said that government is responsible for success, and neither did Obama. You have merely misunderstood the principle which is being discussed. He merely said, and I support him, that collective government is IN PART responsible for providing an environment in which businesses(and individuals) can succeed. He starts his speech by making it clear that he objects to the chorus of conservatives who insinuate that government contributes nothing to the ability of a business to succeed and that nobody does anything "all on his or her own". Everything we do we do in the context of the greater society and, as a result, that greater society impacts us, whether we deny it does or not.
    Can you quote this "chorus" that he (and you) was referring too? What statement by which person implied that govt had no role, prompting this defense?
    Last edited by mac; 07-24-12 at 05:22 PM.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #1025
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    Great question. I and whole ton of other people(like yourself) paid taxes this year. Those taxes went to things that you(as an individual) could not have provided or done solely on your own-or at least not in an effective way. Go ahead, let's see you build a bridge or a school by yourself. We COLLECTIVELY pooled our money to support police, roads, military, schools, judicial systems etc etc. It is often most efficient to do things TOGETHER(collectively) than to expect individual businesses or citizens to do them piecemeal on their own. That's the whole idea of government: We support it through taxes so that it can do things with our money that benefit us and that would not otherwise be able to be provided efficiently by the private market.
    It's really a simple concept when you think about it. I am not taking credit for the success of your business no more than I am saying you should take credit for mine. All I am saying is that I am thankful that the two of us have pooled our money in government, because we both get to reap the benefits from it from the host of programs it funds. As I just said to another poster, WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT. Obama merely takes umbrage with the claim by so many business types these days that seem to be dismissing the importance of collective government in creating opportunities for ALL of us.
    Where does the Average American earn the money to pay taxes with?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #1026
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT. This is what you are missing. Obama isn't speaking of the government as some independent entity. He is merely making the point that we are all interconnected through our participation in government and business and that the two entities need one another. If you read all of his speeches you will see that Obama expressly believes in the importance of individual initiative and free enterprise. But what he was expressing in this speech is his growing frustration with those who don't recognize that government and business need one another and it is incorrect for business people to claim that they don't. He NEVER has claimed that government can, does or should do everything and I don't know why you are interpreting his statement to mean so.
    Wrong again! I am not government, nor is my business. I am a private citizen and business owner. Neither I nor my business have anything to do with laws Congress passes. I do not get a vote on legislation.

    Dear lord, all the examples you listed are services WE PAY FOR. WE are responsible for those things, not the government. I mean, this is pretty elementary here. What don't you understand? Before the government can build a road, they first must tax the profits of private individuals and businesses. Before the State pays a teacher, they must first collect taxes from private individuals and businesses. Before they do ANYTHING, they must first tax the profits made in the private sector in order to pay for it!!!

    I don't care what drivvle you put out there. Obama IS speaking about government in the context of a separate entity. Your mind is convoluted. The government exists BECAUSE OF INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES PAYING TAXES. Now, would you care to compare the amounts paid by business owners with the amounts paid by people like you? Who don't own a business, but simply work for one? People like you want to share in the successes and the profits and in all the credit, but you do not wish to share in my risk, my costs, my sacrifices, my workload, or my failures. I'll make a deal with any employee, I'll share my profits if you'll share my costs as well. That includes paying half of your own salary, half of your own benefits, half of the electric bill, half of the land payments, half of the taxes, half of the advertising budget, half of All the other expenses. No, no, no....no employee of mine would take that deal.

    It burns me up that people like you and Thunder have the audacity to claim an ounce of responsibility for my success. If I sell a product you need or want, you aren't doing me a favor by buying it. I'm providing you a good or service, and you are paying me for it. There's no emotional attachment involved. You are getting a service, and in return, I'm getting your money. What does government have to do with that? NOTHING. Yet they get a slice of it don't they? You bet they do.

    Scabs. They confiscate wealth, they do not produce it. And in righteous indignation, you claim non-profit ventures are more virtuous than for profit ventures. Even tho profit is what makes YOUR lifestyle possible.

  7. #1027
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    ...It burns me up that people like you and Thunder have the audacity to claim an ounce of responsibility for my success....
    why do you keep bringing me up in your posts?

    keep me out of your rants, please.

  8. #1028
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    09-05-12 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    229

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I didn't imply that Obama said that. I implied that the poster I was replying to thought that. I did imply that President Obama doesn't understand, business, and it's true. How could he?
    Because he is smart and has studied and thought about matters of business for most of his life. Just because he hasn't been a businessman doesn't mean that he doesn't understand the economic and social principles behind business. It's a bunk argument. It'd be like me saying that because you have never held high political office you could never have an informed opinion on politics.

  9. #1029
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    no, that would be under YOUR failed "logic".
    Oh so the rich that pay most of the taxes should not own the roads and bridges, the poor who never paid a dime in taxes should own them. I don't get it, if the government is so helpful making businesses successful, why do we have more poor now than ever?
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  10. #1030
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama to business owners: "You didn't build that." [W:417]

    Quote Originally Posted by zeusomally View Post
    Because he is smart and has studied and thought about matters of business for most of his life. Just because he hasn't been a businessman doesn't mean that he doesn't understand the economic and social principles behind business. It's a bunk argument. It'd be like me saying that because you have never held high political office you could never have an informed opinion on politics.
    Matters of business? He studied, practiced, and taught law. And he was a politician. No business knowledge.

    Anyone can be a politician....all you have to do is pander, and sound good.
    Last edited by mac; 07-24-12 at 06:07 PM.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •