Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,393

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    scale, organisation, effect. 9/11 was and still is probably the most lethal and well excuted act of terror in History and completley changed our outlook on fighting Terror attacks. The IRA years were bloody but they were isolated small attacks where as 9/11's scale was huge in comparison and not only managed to hit its targets but also managed to paralyse the worlds strongest superpower. I mean look at the Madrid bombings they made ETA's previous bloodshed look like a nice day in the park.
    Please don't over- state the skill level of the 911 terrorists. They all trained to fly in American flight schools and were just asking to get picked up. 911 was an epic FAIL for our intelligence branches and was a wake-up call for that reason. Remember we had one of the hijackers in custody 2 weeks before the attacks and could not connect the dots. He was training to fly widebody commercial jets, he told the teacher he only wanted to learn to fly and turn the plane, not land or take-off. He paid for the training with $16,000 cash. 2 weeks before he was picked up Bush got the warning...."Alqeada is planning to hijack airplanes"......Bush gave no one this warning, not the airlines, not the pilots, no one. Like I said epic fail.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 07-15-12 at 12:59 AM.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Please don't over- state the skill level of the 911 terrorists. They all trained to fly in American flight schools and were just asking to get picked up. 911 was an epic FAIL for our intelligence branches and was a wake-up call for that reason. Remember we had one of the hijackers in custody 2 weeks before the attacks and could not connect the dots. He was training to fly widebody commercial jets, he told the teacher he only wanted to learn to fly and turn the plane, not land or take-off. He paid for the training with $16,000 cash. 2 weeks before he was picked up Bush got the warning...."Alqeada is planning to hijack airplanes"......Bush gave no one this warning, not the airlines, not the pilots, no one. Like I said epic fail.
    it was also very well planned from the ground level up and very effective! You can blame Bush all you want and he probably deserves some blame but lets not forget it was a very well conceived plan which took years of planning and unfourtuntly for us it was very well executed
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  3. #23
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    show of force never hurts though! As an American you can appreciate that!
    Its a blatant waste of money.Does Al Qeada have a airforce, stormed a country by sea, or send in troops?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #24
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?



    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #25
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    Day 1 of the first arrivals. Day one of the first security failures. Police and military have had to step in to provide security in areas that the private company was suppose to secure... no one turned up from the private company basically.

    So far the London Olympics have only shown us not to outsource security to private companies.
    PeteEU

  6. #26
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,244

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Its a blatant waste of money.Does Al Qeada have a airforce, stormed a country by sea, or send in troops?
    They're very cunning. They might steal a plane or two and crash them into something.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Day 1 of the first arrivals. Day one of the first security failures. Police and military have had to step in to provide security in areas that the private company was suppose to secure... no one turned up from the private company basically.

    So far the London Olympics have only shown us not to outsource security to private companies.
    good thing it hasn't started yet then! x
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #28
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    Ehhhh personally i think its a bit much........ But hey UK has slowly been turning into a police state... As long as with us...


  9. #29
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Its a blatant waste of money.Does Al Qeada have a airforce, stormed a country by sea, or send in troops?
    Twin Towers by air, USS Cole by Sea. Please stop me if im missing anything.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #30
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-06-13 @ 02:59 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    272

    Re: London 2012 Olympics security! Too much?

    This is just my personal preference but I'm kind of a private person, so it's not my idea of fun going to the olympics. I expect a certain loss of privacy when going out, but with cameras and military presence everywhere (I realize Beijing was the same), London is not on my to-visit list. Is this event even worth conducting if this is necessary? Is the risk worth it? What's the point in allowing spectators if they can't enjoy themselves? I don't know that 9-11 should have changed the mentality here so much as 1996 and those killings in the 80s. The Olympics is a high profile target period, so I get that it's necessary to have some security. I do think this is excessive though and should focus instead on intelligence and traditional screening at the stadiums.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •