Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: Republicans accuse HHS of gutting welfare reform with quiet policy change

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-24-12 @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    271

    Republicans accuse HHS of gutting welfare reform with quiet policy change

    Sadly, it is clear the Democrats want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to work.

    What is wrong with these misguided people? What direction are the trying to take our nation? Do they want us to instead become a nation of "freeloaders" who depend on working taxpayers for their monthly incomes as Greece and Spain have now become in Europe?

    Discussion follows.

    Note: FoxNews as a news source is clearly considered as mainstream media.

    Republicans are accusing the Obama administration of unilaterally gutting welfare reform after the Department of Health and Human Services quietly notified states that they may seek a waiver for the program's strict work requirements.

    HHS made the announcement in a policy memo Thursday, news that slipped well below the radar amid a raucous day on the presidential campaign trail. But a few prominent GOP lawmakers on Capitol Hill picked up on the change, and accused the administration of overhauling one of the most important bipartisan agreements of the past several decades.

    "President Obama just tore up a basic foundation of the welfare contract" Republican Study Committee Chairman Jim Jordan, D-Ohio, said in a statement. He also called the move a "blatant violation of the law."

    Mitt Romney on Friday spoke up on the change, saying: "President Obama now wants to strip the established work requirements from welfare." He said "the linkage of work and welfare is essential to prevent welfare from becoming a way of life."

    The hard-fought welfare reform agreement in 1996 was struck between the Bill Clinton administration and a Republican-led Congress. It is still considered a signature legislative achievement from that period.

    The number of people on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families has decreased dramatically since 1997, but roughly 4 million people are still enrolled according to federal figures. The change comes in the middle of a competitive election fight between Obama and Romney.

    Rep. Dave Camp, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, have written to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius asking for a more detailed explanation of the change and her authority for making it. Both expressed concern that the change would strip the crux of the 1996 welfare reform deal.

    "This ends welfare reform as we know it," Camp said in a statement.

    I'm disappointed that after years of sitting on their hands and failing to propose any significant improvements to the TANF programs, the Obama Administration is once again over-stepping their authority and attempting to circumvent Congress through an unprecedented bypass of the legislative process," Hatch said

    source: Republicans accuse HHS of gutting welfare reform with quiet policy change | Fox News
    Last edited by James Cessna; 07-13-12 at 03:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    Conservatives need to understand something about liberal politics.

    By pushing conservatives into the position of demanding people work to be entitled to dignity, liberals make conservatives look like socialists.

    When liberals tell you they're not socialists, they're not lying. The welfare state is an intermediary position against total collectivization, and their advocacy of social policies such as feminism and multiculturalism dilute the labor supply such that capitalists can thrive from downward pressure on wages. Furthermore, by undermining social values, consumers become more desperate for consumer goods to find satisfaction, pushing up inflation.

    If conservatives want to riposte this, they need to engage the social side of the spectrum again, and stop getting flustered to accommodate political correctness.

    The clock is ticking.
    Last edited by Daktoria; 07-13-12 at 03:58 PM.

  3. #3
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Conservatives need to understand something about liberal politics.

    By pushing conservatives into the position of demanding people work to be entitled to dignity, liberals make conservatives look like socialists.

    When liberals tell you they're not socialists, they're not lying. The welfare state is an intermediary position against total collectivization, and their advocacy of social policies such as feminism and multiculturalism dilute the labor supply such that capitalists can thrive from downward pressure on wages. Furthermore, by undermining social values, consumers become more desperate for consumer goods to find satisfaction, pushing up inflation.

    If conservatives want to riposte this, they need to engage the social side of the spectrum again, and stop getting flustered to accommodate political correctness.

    The clock is ticking.


    ^ Another nonsensical message. To claim unlimited and unqualified free goverment money is conservative is nonsense. To claim people should earn their own money is not socialism. No other person but you on earth possibly would be so confused and so misused well understood words.

    Welfare is a social program. That is not a complex concept.

    "Undermining social values makes consumers desperate causing inflation..." is more just goofiness.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    I'm sorry, but brutally asserting "nonsense" and "goofiness" is not an argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    To claim people should earn their own money is not socialism.
    I didn't say that. My reference was to dignity, not productivity.

    Your equation of the two shows how much conservatism has decayed. Soon, we'll have a government where people are expected to work just to be entitled to responsible policing.
    Last edited by Daktoria; 07-13-12 at 04:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    Quote Originally Posted by James Cessna View Post
    Note: FoxNews as a news source is clearly considered as mainstream media.

    Mainstream in the same way that a tri-cornered hat is.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #6
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    Quote Originally Posted by James Cessna View Post
    Sadly, it is clear the Democrats want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to work.

    What is wrong with these misguided people? What direction are the trying to take our nation? Do they want us to instead become a nation of "freeloaders" who depend on working taxpayers for their monthly incomes as Greece and Spain have now become in Europe?

    Discussion follows.

    Note: FoxNews as a news source is clearly considered as mainstream media.

    Republicans are accusing the Obama administration of unilaterally gutting welfare reform after the Department of Health and Human Services quietly notified states that they may seek a waiver for the program's strict work requirements.

    HHS made the announcement in a policy memo Thursday, news that slipped well below the radar amid a raucous day on the presidential campaign trail. But a few prominent GOP lawmakers on Capitol Hill picked up on the change, and accused the administration of overhauling one of the most important bipartisan agreements of the past several decades.

    "President Obama just tore up a basic foundation of the welfare contract" Republican Study Committee Chairman Jim Jordan, D-Ohio, said in a statement. He also called the move a "blatant violation of the law."

    Mitt Romney on Friday spoke up on the change, saying: "President Obama now wants to strip the established work requirements from welfare." He said "the linkage of work and welfare is essential to prevent welfare from becoming a way of life."

    The hard-fought welfare reform agreement in 1996 was struck between the Bill Clinton administration and a Republican-led Congress. It is still considered a signature legislative achievement from that period.

    The number of people on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families has decreased dramatically since 1997, but roughly 4 million people are still enrolled according to federal figures. The change comes in the middle of a competitive election fight between Obama and Romney.

    Rep. Dave Camp, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, have written to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius asking for a more detailed explanation of the change and her authority for making it. Both expressed concern that the change would strip the crux of the 1996 welfare reform deal.

    "This ends welfare reform as we know it," Camp said in a statement.

    I'm disappointed that after years of sitting on their hands and failing to propose any significant improvements to the TANF programs, the Obama Administration is once again over-stepping their authority and attempting to circumvent Congress through an unprecedented bypass of the legislative process," Hatch said

    source: Republicans accuse HHS of gutting welfare reform with quiet policy change | Fox News
    Sounds like GOP polices to the rich.. give them handouts and reduced taxes if any, and of course massive favours and so on..
    PeteEU

  7. #7
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    After reading this: FoxNews as a news source is clearly considered as mainstream media.

    I knew the rest of the post was gonna be just more bull**** too.
    Last edited by Captain America; 07-13-12 at 05:12 PM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #8
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    ^ Another nonsensical message. To claim unlimited and unqualified free goverment money is conservative is nonsense. To claim people should earn their own money is not socialism. No other person but you on earth possibly would be so confused and so misused well understood words.

    Welfare is a social program. That is not a complex concept.

    "Undermining social values makes consumers desperate causing inflation..." is more just goofiness.
    Unless said welfare is earmarked for some corporate interest filling their pockets. Then it's all fine and dandy. The GOP isn't much different then the Dems. The dems count on welfare to keep the have-nots voting for them and the GOP count on corporate welfare and tax deductions (read: rich welfare) for their wealthy support to keep their war chests full in order to buy more elections.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    ^ Another nonsensical message. To claim unlimited and unqualified free goverment money is conservative is nonsense. To claim people should earn their own money is not socialism. No other person but you on earth possibly would be so confused and so misused well understood words.

    Welfare is a social program. That is not a complex concept.

    "Undermining social values makes consumers desperate causing inflation..." is more just goofiness.
    Dude you're the guy who makes posts about how Obama is trying to raise up African Americans to be the favored race in this country, you've accused him of creating a system where non-blacks have less rights than blacks. I don't think you have the ground to stand upon to call someone else's message nonsensical.

  10. #10
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Democrats now want welfare to become a way of life for people who do not want to

    Quote Originally Posted by James Cessna View Post
    Sadly......

    Note: FoxNews as a news source is clearly considered as mainstream media.
    If this were really axiomatic the statement would not have been necessary, nor would the weak statement have to be even further propped up with the use of the word "clearly" . But you did feel each were necessary as you knew the strength of your argument was highly dependent upon it . Well, it wasn't much of an argument.....

    There is really no point in arguing all of the wild-ass ideas that are cooked up over at Fox. Get back to us when you can cite a real news organization.

    Quote Originally Posted by James Cessna View Post
    .....What is wrong with these misguided people?....
    They think Fox is a real news organization.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 07-13-12 at 05:18 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •