Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

  1. #1
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    Saudi Arabia is to send two female athletes to complete in the London 2012 Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has said. Speaking from her training base in the US, Sarah Attar said: "It's such a huge honour and I hope that it can really make some big strides for women over there to get more involved in sport."
    Sarah Attar will compete in the 800m and Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani in the judo competition.

    The Saudi authorities lifted a ban on women from the Gulf kingdom competing in the Games last month. The public participation of women in sport is still fiercely opposed by many Saudi religious conservatives.


    BBC News - London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #2
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Sarah Attar will compete in the 800m and Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani in the judo competition.

    The Saudi authorities lifted a ban on women from the Gulf kingdom competing in the Games last month. The public participation of women in sport is still fiercely opposed by many Saudi religious conservatives.


    BBC News - London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete
    Well, good for them for hanging in there and sticking it out. I think I will cheer for them when they compete.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  3. #3
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    I'm not going to pay much attention to the Olympics, but this is great news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #4
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    So long as they don't compete in the sprint events cuz there will be wind resistance on their head gear and will end up last position.

  5. #5
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    So long as they don't compete in the sprint events cuz there will be wind resistance on their head gear and will end up last position.
    Not unless the wind is blowing from behind them, that way it works almost like a sail, and end up in first position.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #6
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Not unless the wind is blowing from behind them, that way it works almost like a sail, and end up in first position.
    They will be disqualified for sure.

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    I'm pleased for these two women, although it's only a token bone tossed into the jaws of world opinion. The women still have to be covered head to toe, and must be accompanied by a male chaperon at all times.

    Lifting the ban on women competing in the Olympics does not effectively change the lives of women in Saudi Arabia. It is nonetheless a powerful symbolic victory for many... and a call to war for others.

  8. #8
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,299
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    Change sometimes comes like water dripping from a broken tap.

    Saudi Arabia has a long way to go in terms of rights for woman and human rights in general.

    A step in the right direction to be sure.

  9. #9
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I'm pleased for these two women, although it's only a token bone tossed into the jaws of world opinion. The women still have to be covered head to toe, and must be accompanied by a male chaperon at all times.

    Lifting the ban on women competing in the Olympics does not effectively change the lives of women in Saudi Arabia. It is nonetheless a powerful symbolic victory for many... and a call to war for others.
    If that's all I can get, I'll take it for now. Sometimes symbols have great power. Rosa Parks comes to mind.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  10. #10
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: London 2012 Olympics: Saudi Arabian women to compete

    The consensus on the Olympics issue (and its been going on for years) essentially comes down to two camps. Those who believe the al-Saud are doing this as a high profile way to deliver an internal message to their clerical establishment and conservative populace that this is the way the wind is blowing, and it may not happen now, or next year, but women will play a larger more open role in Saudi society. Essentially a "You have been notified" sort of thing. The other is that this a move designed to throw a bone to the emaciated but vocal liberals in the Kingdom, and to make some Western newspapers happy. It's hard to decide which tbqh, and it might be a bit of both. The problem is its fantastically unclear who's making real executive decisions on this stuff so motive is tremendously difficult to decipher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •