Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 251 to 258 of 258

Thread: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

  1. #251
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I always love how agreeing to a treaty is somehow attacking our sovereignty.

    Signing a treaty infringes upon our sovereignty the same way a rental car contract infringes on your right to drive.
    That's not entirely true. Some treaties don't effect our sovereignty, and some do. The General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade is a perfect example of the kind that does, and the topic treaty is the kind that doesn't.

    My only problem with this treaty, however, is that I don't see how it can possibly be effective in it's intended purpose, and is therefore a complete waste of time.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    yeah we see that all the time from the Obama slurpers who blame all their woes on "the rich", "CEOs" and "corporations"
    "Obama slurpers"?

    really TD?

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

    This is a very disturbing story and Dick Morris has been hammering this point home.. we must vote Obama out..

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    This is a very disturbing story and Dick Morris has been hammering this point home.. we must vote Obama out..
    how about we wait for the treaty to get written before we judge it?

  5. #255
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If state and city law can NOW override the constitution then why NOT a treaty as well? I would agree with your assertion IFF federal law did not define what are legal "arms" and that state and city gov'ts could not impose fees (infringements?) for the preservation of that right. If you do NOT pay the state/city a large fee in advance then you have NO "right" to carry that arm, so how is that NOT an infringement? That fee/permit convert that right into a mere state issued privilege, like driving, not a right like voting or having an attorney present during police questioning. Sure I may BUY a handgun and keep it in my home, yet if I leave home with it (bear it), then my "right" is contingent upon a state/city permit, thus it is hardly constitutionally protected.
    Okay, then why hasn't it been challenged in the supreme court? It's not like the NRA doesn't have the money to do it.

    Webster's dictionary gives the obsolete definition of 'infringe' as defeat or frustrate. So I guess the question is what would a reasonable person consider too much frustration?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #256
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    how about we wait for the treaty to get written before we judge it?
    No dude that is jut to logical.


  7. #257
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,662

    Re: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Okay, then why hasn't it been challenged in the supreme court? It's not like the NRA doesn't have the money to do it.

    Webster's dictionary gives the obsolete definition of 'infringe' as defeat or frustrate. So I guess the question is what would a reasonable person consider too much frustration?
    The NRA actually now has a vested interest in KEEPING CCW permit laws, as it ensures that they are written to require "NRA classes" as a prerequisite to getting a CCW permit. I consider reasonable to be NO MORE than is charged for a driving permit and issuing the "study book" for the CCW test just like for a driving written/road test. Charging 7x to 10x what a driver's license costs for a pistol permit is WAY too much, especially charging the non-refundable $140 CCW permit fee for the application and requiring completing a $100 class (also up front) just to apply. The CCW permit is "free" but the application fee is $240, as opposed to $20 for a driver's license.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 07-18-12 at 06:20 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #258
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: UN Arms Treaty could put US gun owners in foreign sights, say critics

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The NRA actually now has a vested interest in KEEPING CCW permit laws, as it ensures that they are written to require "NRA classes" as a prerequisite to getting a CCW permit. I consider reasonable to be NO MORE than is charged for a driving permit and issuing the "study book" for the CCW test just like for a driving written/road test. Charging 7x to 10x what a driver's license costs for a pistol permit is WAY too much, especially charging the non-refundable $140 CCW permit fee for the application and requiring completing a $100 class (also up front) just to apply. The CCW permit is "free" but the application fee is $240, as opposed to $20 for a driver's license.
    The total cost can range upward to about 400-500 dollars some places. It's pretty damn expensive.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •