Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 559

Thread: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

  1. #441
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I didn't disagree that he's breaking the law or that the govt has the right to arrest him

    I disagreed when you said

    1) He's protesting
    2) He has the right to break the law
    3) this has something to do with freedom of religion
    4) He's taking the punishment for his crimes

    Well then I guess we'll just have to disagree. Thanks.

  2. #442
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Maybe not, but FEMA does it all the time.
    Say what?

    Where does FEMA build illegal buildings?

  3. #443
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    The only legal way to combat this is to change the laws. Other than that you do what this gentleman did - break the law and accept the consequences. Sad, because this country was founded on "freedom of relgion", but true.
    I guess you missed the part that said he wasn't being arrested for his "religion" - it was because of safety violations. Sad.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  4. #444
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Responses so far depress me. Its an attack on property rights as much as religious freedom. The city is basically saying you can't have regular gatherings at your house at all if its religious in nature. Whats next? No drinking because you're not zoned as a bar? No BBQs cause you're not zoned and inspected as a restaurant.

    This is simply ridiculous. If this guy was doing a weekly poker game, Dungeons and Dragons, get piss drunk fest, etc, etc...this wouldn't be crime. But because they do a bible study the city dubs it a Church?
    Am late to this conversation, and doubt I am saying anything new, but your post ignores too much. If you were to want to put up additions to your house, or a new Mother-in-Law suite, it would have to be built to codes. Almost all are safety based. For instance, here in Florida, it has to be built much more as a pillbox than in such as Pennsylvania, for fear of high winds.

    The codes he violated are almost all fire-safety related. They are logical, legal, and he had been warned.

  5. #445
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    I guess you missed the part that said he wasn't being arrested for his "religion" - it was because of safety violations. Sad.

    Nope. Read that part. Posted on that part. Break the law and you pay the price.

    Did you hear that the county prosecutor, that sent this guy/priest to jail for 60 days, probation for 3 years and a $12K+ in fines, allowed Occupiers, who caused $200K in damages in the county, and were arrested for felonies go? He claimed they were "patriots".

    This sure smacks of political bias and anti-religion to me. Matter of fact it stinks of bias and using the law for political reasons.

  6. #446
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Say what?

    Where does FEMA build illegal buildings?

    BUMP>

    Risky Thicket, you want to answer the question?


    Hello?

  7. #447
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,004

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    Nope. Read that part. Posted on that part. Break the law and you pay the price.

    Did you hear that the county prosecutor, that sent this guy/priest to jail for 60 days, probation for 3 years and a $12K+ in fines, allowed Occupiers, who caused $200K in damages in the county, and were arrested for felonies go? He claimed they were "patriots".

    This sure smacks of political bias and anti-religion to me. Matter of fact it stinks of bias and using the law for political reasons.
    Although I disagree with the judge letting the OWS people off, there is a distinction. OWS was a political protest which have often been treated differently in the past by law enforcement and the judiciary, this guy was not making any kind of political statement he was just disobeying the law. Having said that why would you say that because 1 group disobeyed the law and got away with, everyone should be able to do the same?

    Since you never answered my previous post on freedom of religion i'll repost it.

    You do not seem to understand what freedoms are. I will ask again is human sacrifice allowed do to freedom of religion? If you answer yes then you do not understand anything about freedom or the constitution and frankly are a very disturbed person. If you answer no then please explain where it says which laws you can break in exercising your freedom of religion.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  8. #448
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Although I disagree with the judge letting the OWS people off, there is a distinction. OWS was a political protest which have often been treated differently in the past by law enforcement and the judiciary, this guy was not making any kind of political statement he was just disobeying the law. Having said that why would you say that because 1 group disobeyed the law and got away with, everyone should be able to do the same?

    Since you never answered my previous post on freedom of religion i'll repost it.

    You do not seem to understand what freedoms are. I will ask again is human sacrifice allowed do to freedom of religion? If you answer yes then you do not understand anything about freedom or the constitution and frankly are a very disturbed person. If you answer no then please explain where it says which laws you can break in exercising your freedom of religion.


    He was holding Bible Study, as the article stated in his home. Religious service in his mind, IMO. Broke the law because of no Exit sign and no Handicapped Parking were the violations, per the article.

    I don't remember anything in the article about "human sacrifice", so nice red herring, but no go.

  9. #449
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,004

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    He was holding Bible Study, as the article stated in his home. Religious service in his mind, IMO. Broke the law because of no Exit sign and no Handicapped Parking were the violations, per the article.

    I don't remember anything in the article about "human sacrifice", so nice red herring, but no go.
    No you said this was about freedom of religion, WHICH IS IS NOT. You said the constitution says he can break the law based on freedom of religion, WHICH HE CANNOT. So I want to see where exactly you think he has the right to break the law in the constitution. If he was running a puppet theatre in his "garage" he would have met the same fate so how exactly is this about religion?
    It is not a red herring to ask what you believe freedom of religion is. You who seem to have read the term "bible study" and decided that regardless of anything else, this is about freedom of religion. I am merely trying to point out toyou that freedom of religion does not give anyone the right to do anything they want.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  10. #450
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    No you said this was about freedom of religion, WHICH IS IS NOT. You said the constitution says he can break the law based on freedom of religion, WHICH HE CANNOT. So I want to see where exactly you think he has the right to break the law in the constitution. If he was running a puppet theatre in his "garage" he would have met the same fate so how exactly is this about religion?
    It is not a red herring to ask what you believe freedom of religion is. You who seem to have read the term "bible study" and decided that regardless of anything else, this is about freedom of religion. I am merely trying to point out toyou that freedom of religion does not give anyone the right to do anything they want.

    This guy/priest was hold Bible study. He fought back because he wanted to continue to hold Bible study in his home/church. Now what would you call it. A cooking class?

Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •