Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 559

Thread: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

  1. #421
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    It is clearly about someone who reefuses to comply with local codes plain and simple.
    The codes violate the Constitution. Everyone should refuse to comply with codes that violate the Constitution. I support any and all such refusals to comply.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  2. #422
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    The codes violate the Constitution. Everyone should refuse to comply with codes that violate the Constitution. I support any and all such refusals to comply.

    Building codes violate the Constitution? How so?

  3. #423
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You like babies? We've got babies on spikes! Tastes of chicken.
    Spikes are heretical support for the weight of babies

    Our babies levitate above the coals at a height that gaurantees their juiciness.

    (PS - While heretical, I did "like" your post, but only because I have respect for the religious beliefs of others)
    Last edited by sangha; 07-13-12 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #424
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Spikes are heretical support for the weight of babies

    Our babies levitate above the coals at a height that gaurantees their juiciness.
    Roast suckling baby?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #425
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Roast suckling baby?
    Of course! What were you expecting? Free range?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #426
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    The codes violate the Constitution. Everyone should refuse to comply with codes that violate the Constitution. I support any and all such refusals to comply.
    So you are doing that now. You yourself are and have been resizing to comply with codes that violate the Constitution? Which codes? What have the responses from government been? How long have you been doing this?

  7. #427
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,757

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    None if which he was trying to do.
    No, he's just breaking the law in other ways and you want him to get away with it.

    Stop playing the idiotic religion card and just deal with the reality of the situation.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #428
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    As I've stated before, I don't care who/what/where you worship. As long as I don't have to attend/donate/participate, have at it. The pastor/priest/whatever was in the wrong by breaking the law. IMO he felt strongly enough to take the punishment for breaking the law and that's okay by me, it's his/their belief. But I do and always will support anyone or everyone's right to worship the way they choose.

  9. #429
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    As I've stated before, I don't care who/what/where you worship. As long as I don't have to attend/donate/participate, have at it. The pastor/priest/whatever was in the wrong by breaking the law. IMO he felt strongly enough to take the punishment for breaking the law and that's okay by me, it's his/their belief. But I do and always will support anyone or everyone's right to worship the way they choose.
    Umm, someone who refuses to pay the fines is not "taking the punishment for breaking the law"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #430
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    I'm saying the guy knew the rules and yet he chose to break them. He must have known the penalty and evidently expected to pay the penalty.
    There is evidence that Salam knew he was violating codes and civil laws, yes. You of course know that many legal penalties are not fixed and are thus left to the interpretation of the court. Did your man, Salam, know what his penalties would be? Of course not. He may have assumed a range of possibilities.

    IMO, he did this as a religious protest.
    Fine, that is your opinion. Nothing supports your opinion, however. In fact, Salam hasn't been charged with being "religious". Your opinion is unfounded. You have not, and cannot, provide facts to support your opinion. Don't expect anyone here to rally behind you, because "Billy said so." The city and the state can and have provided facts to support their "opinion", if you like. Kind of makes the your argument suck hind tit.

    He has the right to do so, whether you or I think it's okay or not.
    I once went to a nudist resort in Florida with a lady I was dating. She suggested the idea. It took me less than a minute to get in the car. While at the resort we met a group of people who were nude Baptists. Yep. I was fascinated. In fact, I spend part of the second day with the pastor and his wife, talking about their unique "view". They even invited us to lunch. The reverend and the nekkid members wanted to have their own church. They couldn't find a local government that would permit it and thus they had services every Sunday at the nudist resort.

    I'm betting that one hell of a lot of Americans wouldn't want a church full of nekkid people next door to their houses, in their neighborhoods. Would you, Billy? Can we assume most Americans would support that kind of religious worship? Can we assume that most Baptists would support that kind of religious worship?

    Don't hand us all that crap about religious rights and all the sanctimony that goes with it. It simply isn't true. You know that as must anyone else.

    No I can not say with authority his parishioners knew or didn't know about the code violations, nor can you, but I would think if they were members then they probably knew the rules/conditions.
    You said that you don't know if everyone was aware of the violations, but some people might have known, probably, maybe. That was a non-answer.

Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •