Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 559

Thread: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

  1. #401
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    He wasn't told he couldn't run a church, he was told he couldn't run a church in that location and under those conditions. Instead of complying with the law and moving his church elsewhere, he chose to ignore the law and is now playing the religion card because the law finally came in and shut him down.

    What a hypocrite.
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

    The codes clearly prohibit him from freely exercising his religion. They abridge his freedom of speech. They abridge his right to peaceably assemble.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  2. #402
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    And worshiping as you see fit isn't a civil right? IMO it is and I don't care if you want to worship bull poop, it's your right.
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with this situation. Every right is subject to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions. You can't, for example hold a church service in the middle of Interstate 5, regardless of what the Constitution says.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #403
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

    The codes clearly prohibit him from freely exercising his religion. They abridge his freedom of speech. They abridge his right to peaceably assemble.
    I'd recommend a good class on constitutional law.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  4. #404
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with this situation. Every right is subject to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions. You can't, for example hold a church service in the middle of Interstate 5, regardless of what the Constitution says.
    Interstate 5 is not privately owned property. His own damn ranch is. The only reason the codes violations were investigate was to intentionally shut down his peaceable assembly for the purpose of practicing religion.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  5. #405
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with this situation. Every right is subject to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions. You can't, for example hold a church service in the middle of Interstate 5, regardless of what the Constitution says.
    Damn pinko fascist commy bastards!

  6. #406
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    I don't care who/what/how you worship, it's your worship. As I said before, the cops don't arrest you, you don't scare the horses in the street and I don't have to participate, then go for it. I'm not afraid of religion, we have laws, I'm afraid of individuals who want it "their way".

    So, you think that restrictions should be put on who/what/how people should worship?
    No, but they sure as hell can be put on where people worship.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #407
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    I'd recommend a good class on constitutional law.
    You mean a class on how SCOTUS has over the years ignored the Constitution?

    I am not sure what makes you think I would care.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  8. #408
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-17-18 @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,111

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

    The codes clearly prohibit him from freely exercising his religion. They abridge his freedom of speech. They abridge his right to peaceably assemble.
    Because the First Commandment says "Thou shalt not worship in houses supported by beams. Only by faith shalt thy houses of worship stand"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #409
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-17-18 @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,111

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Interstate 5 is not privately owned property. His own damn ranch is. The only reason the codes violations were investigate was to intentionally shut down his peaceable assembly for the purpose of practicing religion.
    Privately owned property used for public purposes (such as for a place of worship) must conform to code
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #410
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,038

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    You mean a class on how SCOTUS has over the years ignored the Constitution?

    I am not sure what makes you think I would care.

    Yeah it is kinda obvious that you don't care about reality, as you continue to deny the actual situation in the case of this nutjob preacher
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •