Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 559

Thread: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

  1. #311
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,059

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl;1060684753Timeline

    Mr. Salman's interaction regarding his property dates back to 2006, when he was advised by the Zoning Administrator that his property was analogous to a church and required compliance with the Zoning Ordinance.

    During 2007, Mr. Salman had interaction with the City regarding his attempts to build on his property. The issue revolves around Mr. Salman's assertion that he is building a detached garage, when the building is actually to function as a church. Mr. Salman builds, despite not having a proper permit. On May 1, 2007, he is cited for, and eventually pleads responsible to building without the required permit. (Pleads responsible 7/18/2007)

    In the Fall of 2007, Mr. Salman is notified several times by the City that he needs to obtain the proper permits and approvals before holding church services on his property.
    In 2008, Mr. Salman's church, Harvest Christian Fellowship Community Church, is issued a Building Permit to construct a 2,000 square foot private game room accessory to an existing single family residence. The permit states, "Any other occupancy or use (business, commercial, assembly, church, etc.) is expressly prohibited pursuant to the City of Phoenix Building Code and Zoning Ordinances."

    During 2009-2010 church services are held on Mr. Salman's property without proper permits and in violation of safety concerns. As a result, Mr. Salman is cited.

    On January 4, 2010, Harvest Christian Fellowship Community Church is found responsible for 96 civil code violations. The Court notes, "[T]he State is not saying the Salmans can't run a church or have worship services at the location, but the State is saying that if they do so, they must do it properly and in accord with the building, fire, and zoning codes."

    On August 30, 2010, Mr. Salman was found guilty of 67 Class 1 Misdemeanors. The Court stated, "Everyone is entitled under the United States Constitution to worship as they please. But there is a reason for these codes and that is for public safety. And that, I believe, is all that the State is asking is that the Code violations be rectified."

    Mr. Salman appealed his convictions. On June 2, 2011, the Maricopa County Superior Court upheld the convictions and stated, "[T]he Defendant was engaged in public or church activities, and further that Defendant's convictions did not violate his Constitutional right to religious freedom."

    The Court sentenced Mr. Salman to serve jail time. He was ordered to report to jail on June 18, 2012. The county jail relies on a Department of Public Safety table of criminal codes to confirm the basis for the incarceration when a person self surrenders. The table did not include the particular charge on Mr. Salman's confinement order. Mr. Salman was, therefore, not incarcerated. The table has been corrected.

    On June 28, 2012, a Probation Revocation Arraignment was held alleging violations of Mr. Salman's sentence by twice having a gathering in excess of 12 people on his premises while not in compliance with all ordinances and failing to cooperate with the Court's Financial Screening.
    Misterveritis he was told he cannot hold his services untill he complies. I hope that satisfies you as the extra steps they took. Seems it was 96 code violations and 67 convictions of Class 1 Misdemeanors. I thought the OParticle was ambigous and missing facts (what the citations were for) but in fact they were wrong and called 67 convitions code violations.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  2. #312
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    67 convictions for having more than 12 people participating in prayer without permission of the government.

    Yes, that is what the American revolution was for. To limit the number of people that may pray together in someone's home without obtaining government permission and without a $20,000 fire suppression sprinkler system installed.

    Besides, people who can't afford $50,000 in government required pre-prayer renovations are too poor to be praying. They should be cursing God for being poor. Or better yet, attending the mega million dollar right wing conservative church the Republicans of Phoenix city government attend and giving their little money to it.

    F...k poor people. I think that accurately summarizes Phoenix Arizona's overall policy, although usually that is targeted at Latinos and not white people.
    Last edited by joko104; 07-13-12 at 11:51 AM.

  3. #313
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    67 convictions for having more than 12 people participating in prayer without permission of the government.
    it said in excess of 12.

  4. #314
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Yes, that is what they said. The government needs to send law enforcement agents to all religious meetings and prayer sessions to count heads and take names. That also was a primary reason for revolting against the British. The King wasn't having that done, the bastard.

    And, of course, only truly EVIL people would ever disagree with the Republicans of the Phoenix Code Enforcement Department. Disagreeing with government is another thing that makes is clear someone is a bad person who much be re-educated and, if refuses, fined, imprisoned and then perpetually monitored on probation. Only evil people on this forum would question the government of Phoenix, Arizona.
    Last edited by joko104; 07-13-12 at 11:57 AM.

  5. #315
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    67 convictions for having more than 12 people participating in prayer without permission of the government.

    Yes, that is what the American revolution was for. To limit the number of people that may pray together in someone's home without obtaining government permission and without a $20,000 fire suppression sprinkler system installed.

    Besides, people who can't afford $50,000 in government required pre-prayer renovations are too poor to be praying. They should be cursing God for being poor. Or better yet, attending the mega million dollar right wing conservative church the Republicans of Phoenix city government attend and giving their little money to it.

    F...k poor people. I think that accurately summarizes Phoenix Arizona's overall policy, although usually that is targeted at Latinos and not white people.
    It wasn't a home. It was legally a church.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  6. #316
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Guy decided to go against the law for his religious beliefs.

    I assume he knew he could be fined/imprisioned/etc. and accepted the fact before he took this action.

  7. #317
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    It wasn't a home. It was legally a church.

    Those definitely need weekly government head counts for sure, and bi-monthly surprise police and code enforcement raids too.

  8. #318
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Yes, that is what they said. The government needs to send law enforcement agents to all religious meetings and prayer sessions to count heads and take names. That also was a primary reason for revolting against the British. The King wasn't having that done, the bastard.

    And, of course, only truly EVIL people would ever disagree with the Republicans of the Phoenix Code Enforcement Department. Disagreeing with government is another thing that makes is clear someone is a bad person who much be re-educated and, if refuses, fined, imprisoned and then perpetually monitored on probation. Only evil people on this forum would question the government of Phoenix, Arizona.
    So what is your point? That people should just ignore code violations? And go along their merry way...

  9. #319
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    Guy decided to go against the law for his religious beliefs.

    I assume he knew he could be fined/imprisioned/etc. and accepted the fact before he took this action.

    Everyone in the USA can be fined and imprisoned anytime local, county, state or the federal government wants to. That is the reality.

  10. #320
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Those definitely need weekly government head counts for sure, and bi-monthly surprise police and code enforcement raids too.
    ALL buildings that are open to the public are inspected for safety. If there are code violations they are allowed time to fix the violation, if the violation is not fixed they can be shut down.

    This guy was given every opportunity to comply with the codes. He chose not to, and was charged.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •