Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 314

Thread: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Their way of life is war. That's how that area and culture of the world has solved problems through millenia. It becomes part of their identity.
    Well I haven't been around for a millenia, but our foreign policy has been really sloppy and often counter productive since the 1950s. Some of that was about the Cold War.. and shouldn't have been.

    To me its always looked like ignorance or bad advisors or just a failure to listen.

  2. #172
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    That's pretty sick. Did he really do that?
    Bush? I don't know, it's from a Tucker Carlson interview in a magazine. From what I've been able to find, Carlson also has some pretty serious credibility issues.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Bah. Every holy text has evil and virtue. You can't say a religion is one thing or another, because it always depends on the interpretation. The Islamists ignore the peaceful messages and hold up the violent one. Moderate Muslims ignore the violent messages and uphold the peaceful. Every single religion on Earth has the exact same situation.

    Don't say it's a "peaceful" religion, because the religion itself has no inclination one way or another. That's just as incorrect as saying it's a violent religion.
    I disagree actually. For example, as a Jew I think its actually fair to say that the Torah, Talmud, and Midrash are fairly violent, draconian, and primitive codes of law and morality. However is Judaism violent? No because we went on a different historical arc that cut the tether to the ancient interpretations and practition of our faith. The diaspora and legal prohibitions forced a reliance on literacy, while perpetual minority status dampened the legislative aggressiveness of rabbinical courts and interpretation. Lack of a physical Israel shifted theological discussions away from law, justice, politics, and war, and toward familial and social considerations. I could go on and on. The reason I bring it up is that I believe Judaism and Islam are actually fairly similar religions, moreso than Christianity in that the point of both faiths in their original and orthodox form is to proscribe a code for living and governing every facet of life from cradle to government to the grave. I believe it is fair to say that Islam is more 'violent' because while Judaism shed its adherence or shifted its emphasis away from portions of this perspective (including in Orthodoxy which lack a state to control, but see the worst parts of Israel for an example of my point) Islam has not. The orthodoxy of Islam is generally unreformed and this remains a serious problem since it is less amenable to liberalization and reform. Why? Because how do you reform a divinely directed legal code? Anyways as I said before I think it is a problem to try and equivocate because it obscures very real and very significant problems and discussions.

  4. #174
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I disagree actually. For example, as a Jew I think its actually fair to say that the Torah, Talmud, and Midrash are fairly violent, draconian, and primitive codes of law and morality. However is Judaism violent? No because we went on a different historical arc that cut the tether to the ancient interpretations and practition of our faith. The diaspora and legal prohibitions forced a reliance on literacy, while perpetual minority status dampened the legislative aggressiveness of rabbinical courts and interpretation. Lack of a physical Israel shifted theological discussions away from law, justice, politics, and war, and toward familial and social considerations. I could go on and on. The reason I bring it up is that I believe Judaism and Islam are actually fairly similar religions, moreso than Christianity in that the point of both faiths in their original and orthodox form is to proscribe a code for living and governing every facet of life from cradle to government to the grave. I believe it is fair to say that Islam is more 'violent' because while Judaism shed its adherence or shifted its emphasis away from portions of this perspective (including in Orthodoxy which lack a state to control, but see the worst parts of Israel for an example of my point) Islam has not. The orthodoxy of Islam is generally unreformed and this remains a serious problem since it is less amenable to liberalization and reform. Why? Because how do you reform a divinely directed legal code? Anyways as I said before I think it is a problem to try and equivocate because it obscures very real and very significant problems and discussions.
    I have to agree to the extent of my limited knowledge. The Old Testament and the Quran both seem to place a much greater emphasis on justice, while Christianity seems to value compassion above all else.

    Islam can't truly be reformed because all faithful believers must accept the Quran as the Word of God literally. That means the reformers will always be seen by the faithful as heretics or apostates.

  5. #175
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I disagree actually. For example, as a Jew I think its actually fair to say that the Torah, Talmud, and Midrash are fairly violent, draconian, and primitive codes of law and morality. However is Judaism violent? No because we went on a different historical arc that cut the tether to the ancient interpretations and practition of our faith. The diaspora and legal prohibitions forced a reliance on literacy, while perpetual minority status dampened the legislative aggressiveness of rabbinical courts and interpretation. Lack of a physical Israel shifted theological discussions away from law, justice, politics, and war, and toward familial and social considerations. I could go on and on. The reason I bring it up is that I believe Judaism and Islam are actually fairly similar religions, moreso than Christianity in that the point of both faiths in their original and orthodox form is to proscribe a code for living and governing every facet of life from cradle to government to the grave. I believe it is fair to say that Islam is more 'violent' because while Judaism shed its adherence or shifted its emphasis away from portions of this perspective (including in Orthodoxy which lack a state to control, but see the worst parts of Israel for an example of my point) Islam has not. The orthodoxy of Islam is generally unreformed and this remains a serious problem since it is less amenable to liberalization and reform. Why? Because how do you reform a divinely directed legal code? Anyways as I said before I think it is a problem to try and equivocate because it obscures very real and very significant problems and discussions.
    I don't know enough about the deep details of Islam to comment, but I can say this. I have friends from Indonesia who are Muslim, and the last thing any of them would ever do is support violence against anyone for being Jewish or Christian or American or Israeli. They're as far from being terrorists as you can get. I suspect the hostility and violent tendencies may vary from one Islamic country to another.

  6. #176
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I don't know enough about the deep details of Islam to comment, but I can say this. I have friends from Indonesia who are Muslim, and the last thing any of them would ever do is support violence against anyone for being Jewish or Christian or American or Israeli. They're as far from being terrorists as you can get. I suspect the hostility and violent tendencies may vary from one Islamic country to another.
    Sure. But even if we use Indonesia as a template that anecdote doesn't really hold up in terms of some of the generalizing points I'm trying to make. Indonesia is different from Saudi Arabia no question, but Indonesia for all of its advances with democracy is still plagued by the problems we are talking about, and I believe it is for the reasons I mentioned.

  7. #177
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Are you an isolationist then? Do you believe that the US should withdraw from the rest of the world lest someone else decide they can murder our citizens to advance their political and religious purposes?
    You do realize while we are at war right now terrorist recruitment has gone up, more and more terrorists are being produced, more and more innocents are dying from terrorism, and that by invading Afghanistan we pretty much did what Bin Laden wanted us to do?


  8. #178
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Iraq is free.
    .


  9. #179
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    You do realize while we are at war right now terrorist recruitment has gone up, more and more terrorists are being produced, more and more innocents are dying from terrorism, and that by invading Afghanistan we pretty much did what Bin Laden wanted us to do?
    I disagree with that rather strongly on a variety of levels. First that more international terrorists are being produced. Second that Bin Laden ended up getting what he wanted (even if originally he thought it was). There are thirds, fourths, and fifths of course but I think this is enough for now.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    It is riven with difficulties, but certainly it is. Especially when compared to rule under Saddam.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •