Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 85

Thread: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

  1. #61
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if the lifeguard's assistance was not actually needed then why were his services summoned?
    Tyhe reason kind of illustrates the point, Bubba. Dood was 1500 feet away. Someone sees the guy in trouble and runs 1500 feet to tell the lifeguard "HEY...someone is drowning down there!" So the guy jumps down from his station and Baywatches it 1500 feet...thats 5 football fields to you and me...only to find that someone has already saved the day. Meanwhile, his section of beach is now at risk.

    Its not an easy scenario...but again...its understandable WHY the lifeguard company has the rules.

  2. #62
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    But, of course, that was NOT the case. The person "helped" was ALREADY on the CLEARLY MARKED AS UNGUARDED beach being assisted by others, and paramedics were already on their way. When this "hero" arrived, after running about 1500 feet, he did exactly WHAT?. In the mean time, the guarding of the INTENDED public beach was diminished, by the voluntary absense of one of the assigned and PAID personnel.
    So he was supposed to magically know someone else was going to beat him to the scene when someone ran up to his station to tell him someone was drowning?

    So what you expect the guy to sit on his ass and say "ohh someone is drowning.. I really hope someone else is able to save him. If he dies its his fault, I will just sit here and let it happen"
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  3. #63
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    The lifeguard did what he was trained to do....its just like the COP standing on the border of his town and the next town and sees a crime in progress against a person that can cause harm...HE STOPS IT and his town covers him legally. Same with EMTs and fire they cross make believe lines all the time to save people.

    This is absurd really...if your ass is up out of the water and your head was under and you needed a lifeguard to pull your head out of your ass YOU WOULD ALL BE HAILING THIS GUY A HERO and not defending anything else..
    No doubt...and thats not the point. Perhaps your problem is you are so overwhelmed with FEEELING that you simply miss the logic and reason. I dont see too many people unsympathetic to his plight.

  4. #64
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That makes NO sense. Consider what we have HERE in THIS CASE. Two beaches, one guraded (at taxpayer expense) and one not guarded (and clearly posted as such). The PAID life guard LEFT his assigned post, at the supposed to be GUARDED beach, to "assist" in guarding the the clealy marked UNGUARDED beach. WHY was the distinction made in the first place? If I pay taxes for my "public" services, then I expect them to be used AS DIRECTED, thus they should remain guarding the assigned beach, AS THEY ARE PAID TO DO, and not to VOLUNTEER my (tax supported) services for the UNGUARDED beach instead.
    Dude, you are seriously amusing me now. I have this vision in my mind of you sitting at your computer, spittle running down your chin, because you are so angry to the point of cyber-yelling... probably even yelling out loud as you write... because you have been unable to "one up" me.

    Enough of my amusement, though, let's examine what you wrote: Apparently, it's not even about corporate liability, it's about what YOU pay for as a taxpayer? Let them all die otherwise? Really? I can't argue "logic" like that. I won't even try to argue against this point. It's impossible. Wow. Just... wow. You're a peach.

    If it will help your blood pressure, you are can consider yourself the victor, and are free to proclaim to all your Facebook friends how you beat me in this debate.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #65
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    So he was supposed to magically know someone else was going to beat him to the scene when someone ran up to his station to tell him someone was drowning?

    So what you expect the guy to sit on his ass and say "ohh someone is drowning.. I really hope someone else is able to save him. If he dies its his fault, I will just sit here and let it happen"
    How is it possible for you...lpast...and others to miss the blatant reality of the situation? No one is saying they BLAME the guy for responding. But...he was hired to guard a section of beach. The reason they HAVE lifeguards on the beach is for the 'what if' scenario. Now...what if...after running 5 football fields outside of his area of responsibility there was a REAL drowning IN his AOR? Some 4 year old gets swept out by an undertow...whatever. What does the company say to the family with regard to liability? "Well...Im SORRY junior drowned, but our lifeguard left the area he was supposed to be keeping safe to respond to a guy half a beach away that was luckily already pulled out of the water by others. Phew...right? That could have been REALLY tragic!"

  6. #66
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There could have also been a scenario that he was recusing somebody who was in his area and somebody else drowned elsewhere in his designated area. We can play "What if... ?" all day. What if there were three lifeguards on duty in his designated area and four people were drowning at the same time?



    No, because that did NOT happen. It could have, but it didn't. Plus, as has been noted and confirmed, that there were other lifeguards on duty as well, so his beach was not left unguarded.
    You are missing the point. In our culture this man put this company at risk and all of his coworkers at risk, the other people on the beach at risk. He put the city at risk. This is the reality of his choice. What ifs are appliciable because the city and this company could have been sued. More people could have lost their jobs than just him because people want to award money for anything they can think of. You dont like companies making decisions like this, then the lawsuits in this country have to stop. Until that happens, you cant blame companies for protecting themselves.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #67
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if the lifeguard's assistance was not actually needed then why were his services summoned?
    Right. Just because others pulled the guy out the water before he got there does not mean that the lifeguard's aid was no longer needed. In fact, he was probably the best qualified to render aid of anyone else there. Plus, according to the tv news report I had originally watched, the victim spent time in the hospital in critical condition, so it was obviously still serious even if the guy was on the beach and no longer in the water.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #68
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    You are missing the point. In our culture this man put this company at risk and all of his coworkers at risk, the other people on the beach at risk. He put the city at risk. This is the reality of his choice. What ifs are appliciable because the city and this company could have been sued. More people could have lost their jobs than just him because people want to award money for anything they can think of. You dont like companies making decisions like this, then the lawsuits in this country have to stop. Until that happens, you cant blame companies for protecting themselves.
    No, I didn't miss the point, and if you go back and re-read what I have written thus far, it's not that far off from what you just wrote here. I acknowledge the company has real liability concerns. I acknowledge the company has real lawsuit concerns. I have clearly said, at least twice, that tort reform should be the major focus resulting from this incident.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No, I didn't miss the point, and if you go back and re-read what I have written thus far, it's not that far off from what you just wrote here. I acknowledge the company has real liability concerns. I acknowledge the company has real lawsuit concerns. I have clearly said, at least twice, that tort reform should be the major focus resulting from this incident.
    I gotcha. Sorry if i misunderstood.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #70
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    How is it possible for you...lpast...and others to miss the blatant reality of the situation? No one is saying they BLAME the guy for responding. But...he was hired to guard a section of beach. The reason they HAVE lifeguards on the beach is for the 'what if' scenario. Now...what if...after running 5 football fields outside of his area of responsibility there was a REAL drowning IN his AOR? Some 4 year old gets swept out by an undertow...whatever. What does the company say to the family with regard to liability? "Well...Im SORRY junior drowned, but our lifeguard left the area he was supposed to be keeping safe to respond to a guy half a beach away that was luckily already pulled out of the water by others. Phew...right? That could have been REALLY tragic!"
    There have been a couple people in here who are blaming the guy for responding. Shoot, as I read it, there was a post or two that even blamed the drowning guy for drowning.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •