Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 85

Thread: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

  1. #31
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So, if you can not counter the argument presented, simply make fun of the style of the post? I am pointing out that MANY examples of private services exist, that FAR outperform similar public services, from trash collection to education, yet many assert that is not the case. I simply pointed out that the OVER GENEROUS public (and union) salary and benefits packages are one of the main reasons for this. While it is ILLEGAL (severe IRS penalties) for a private citzen to access their even own personal IRA, 401K or Keogh accounts before age 59 1/2, it is COMMON practice for the public sector to retire nearly a decade earlier AND to demand additional "tax free" benefits, such as medical care insurance as well.
    So, if you can not counter the argument presented, simply make fun of me making fun of the style of your post?

    And I simply pointed out that the desired result doesn't always end up as hoped. Sometimes contracting out works well, sometimes it doesn't. There was nothing to refute, other than you incorrectly extrapolating and reading more into what I said than what was actually there.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #32
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Cheaper for the taxpayers to have the lifeguards as county employees like in Palm Beach County.

    The last thing this company can afford is for its CEO to take a pay cut.
    No...its not...and there is a REASON why cities and county's contract out services where they can. you only see the tree, not the forest. You dont see retirements costs, healthcare costs, legal obligations and contributions, etc. You see "privater sector business is eeeeevil", not "excessive government is killing budgets across the country".

    This IS a tough call to make. By reading the story you learn that the individual being 'saved' was so far out of the lifeguards AOR that by the time he got there he had already been rescued by a citizen. And what happens when he is now 1500 feet from where he is supposed to be and there is an incident where he is supposed to be? Who gets sued then, and what the rhetoric? "Idiot lifeguard...off playing 'hero' on a part of the beach where it was posted there was no lifeguard, meanwhile some child drowns right in front of his station."

    I feel for the guy...it is a no win situation. Luckily NO ONE died.

  3. #33
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    So, if you can not counter the argument presented, simply make fun of me making fun of the style of your post?
    Damnit, people, always make fun of stuff when possible. This is debate and style counts.

    Included in the original post it is merely juvenile and presumptuous.
    That's funny.

  4. #34
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...its not...and there is a REASON why cities and county's contract out services where they can. you only see the tree, not the forest. You dont see retirements costs, healthcare costs, legal obligations and contributions, etc. You see "privater sector business is eeeeevil", not "excessive government is killing budgets across the country".

    This IS a tough call to make. By reading the story you learn that the individual being 'saved' was so far out of the lifeguards AOR that by the time he got there he had already been rescued by a citizen. And what happens when he is now 1500 feet from where he is supposed to be and there is an incident where he is supposed to be? Who gets sued then, and what the rhetoric? "Idiot lifeguard...off playing 'hero' on a part of the beach where it was posted there was no lifeguard, meanwhile some child drowns right in front of his station."

    I feel for the guy...it is a no win situation. Luckily NO ONE died.
    Exactly.

    ,,,,,,,,,,,
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #35
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Are you really trying to say the man ran down the beach to help in a rescue simply because he 'knew' he would make more money by getting fired?


    Here in South Florida, we have some nice court records concerning various county officials going to jail because of the payoffs they received for ensuring some of those "money-saving" contracts were signed.
    Perhaps HE did not, yet the NEXT day, AFTER THIS MADE THE NEWS, other employees quit/got fired for expressing their agreement to ignore company policy TO GET ON THE NEWS TOO. Hmm...
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #36
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...its not...and there is a REASON why cities and county's contract out services where they can. you only see the tree, not the forest. You dont see retirements costs, healthcare costs, legal obligations and contributions, etc. You see "privater sector business is eeeeevil", not "excessive government is killing budgets across the country".

    This IS a tough call to make. By reading the story you learn that the individual being 'saved' was so far out of the lifeguards AOR that by the time he got there he had already been rescued by a citizen. And what happens when he is now 1500 feet from where he is supposed to be and there is an incident where he is supposed to be? Who gets sued then, and what the rhetoric? "Idiot lifeguard...off playing 'hero' on a part of the beach where it was posted there was no lifeguard, meanwhile some child drowns right in front of his station."

    I feel for the guy...it is a no win situation. Luckily NO ONE died.
    It is a no-win situation, definitely.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #37
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Potential similar scenario:

    A guy is working in a dry cleaners. A car wreck happens right outside his door. One of the people is seriously injured and immediate aid would be really helpful. He can run out and provide aid to the injured driver, but a customer shows up and wants their dry cleaning and is in a rush for an event in 2 hours. Would the guy be out-of-line to tell the customer he needs to provide aid to the injured driver and that the customer has to wait? Providing aid could be long and drawn out, no way to tell at that point, and it could cause the customer to be late for their event.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #38
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Potential similar scenario:

    It's not about customers, even if there were, presumably, just enough lifeguards at the guarded beach to secure it safely. It's about a company's liability for employees taking job/trained action as a public service. A company cannot have that as something that 'just goes on'. That would be a reputation for such, and if an employee did something stupid then the company could also be held liable. Additionally, taking outside responsibility (and a lax policy regarding such) can have bad results and further liability. If the lifeguard had drowned...

    Anyway, this case goes far beyond a simple cash register assessment of why such a policy could be in place.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 07-05-12 at 12:16 PM.

  9. #39
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Potential similar scenario:

    A guy is working in a dry cleaners. A car wreck happens right outside his door. One of the people is seriously injured and immediate aid would be really helpful. He can run out and provide aid to the injured driver, but a customer shows up and wants their dry cleaning and is in a rush for an event in 2 hours. Would the guy be out-of-line to tell the customer he needs to provide aid to the injured driver and that the customer has to wait? Providing aid could be long and drawn out, no way to tell at that point, and it could cause the customer to be late for their event.
    I dont think you can compare the two events. Life saving or even care giving always trumps 'customer service'. Id be willing to bet MOST people would have behaved in the same manner as did the lifeguard that was fired. If the company was more capably ran they could have used that as one of them there 'teachable moments' (teaching moments). They even could have approached the city with their concerns about expanding service or involved the media with their concern. It was handled wrong (unless there is more going on than what we are being told-which is frequently the case).

  10. #40
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    'Customer service' was life saving (securing a beach without risk). That's different context. Of course anyone would do it, presuming they're capable. That's not the point. The point is, the company cannot have a history of condoning outside responsibility.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •