Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 85

Thread: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

  1. #21
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,560

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Are you really trying to say the man ran down the beach to help in a rescue simply because he 'knew' he would make more money by getting fired?


    Here in South Florida, we have some nice court records concerning various county officials going to jail because of the payoffs they received for ensuring some of those "money-saving" contracts were signed.
    Because some politicians/gov't officials are corrupt, private employees may not be fired for leaving their job site while on duty. Now I understand.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    My wife makes a sweet wage as part of the out source craze. It feeds the 'smaller' government mantra but it is doesn't save money. You can't hire a private company to provide services AT A PROFIT cheaper than temp city workers. These days most city workers have 401(k) retirements, not pensions. 5K of annual bennies is roughly $2.50 an hour and as a group buy with all other city employees that buys a good package.

    But I see several solutions, the private firm can simply not have it's contract renewed, the lifeguard could have been suspended, fired for a day, written up and continued to work. If another guard was on duty and saw the incident he knew he now had to cover the entire area so the beach was still protected.

    If enough people feel strongly enough an injustice was done then perhaps a civil protest will help correct an obvious lack of judgment on the private company's part.

  3. #23
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    If enough people feel strongly enough an injustice was done then perhaps a civil protest will help correct an obvious lack of judgment on the private company's part.
    Occupy the beach! hahaha.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,935

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Rules are rules. You may not agree with them and if you cannot change them then simply leave and go elswhere. Why did the deceased choose to swim 1,500 feet away from guarded beach? The huge majority of drownings are caused by stupidity......much like this one.
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  5. #25
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Show me ANY private, non-union, employee retirement at age 50, with 30 years service, at 50% of pay with full medical benefits. Crickets...
    I know you think your "Crickets..." thing is cute and proves a point, but it would only mean what you want it to mean if you waited awhile and followed-up after a non-response. Included in the original post it is merely juvenile and presumptuous.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #26
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699
    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The "drowning" man was on the beach and being assisted by others, with paramedics already on the way, by the time the "hero" arrived to "help". An employer CAN dictate that you stay on YOUR beach while being paid to do so, or find another job.
    The Obama syndrome.

    The guy is a hero for merely being present.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  7. #27
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    The Obama syndrome.

    The guy is a hero for merely being present.
    Actively helping equates to "merely being present"? Were you really struggling for something to say so much that you have to make stuff up as you go along?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #28
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,560

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I know you think your "Crickets..." thing is cute and proves a point, but it would only mean what you want it to mean if you waited awhile and followed-up after a non-response. Included in the original post it is merely juvenile and presumptuous.
    So, if you can not counter the argument presented, simply make fun of the style of the post? I am pointing out that MANY examples of private services exist, that FAR outperform similar public services, from trash collection to education, yet many assert that is not the case. I simply pointed out that the OVER GENEROUS public (and union) salary and benefits packages are one of the main reasons for this. While it is ILLEGAL (severe IRS penalties) for a private citzen to access their even own personal IRA, 401K or Keogh accounts before age 59 1/2, it is COMMON practice for the public sector to retire nearly a decade earlier AND to demand additional "tax free" benefits, such as medical care insurance as well.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #29
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Then why have insurance? If you require payment for a claim filed but that eventually hurts your business more than the compensation paid out - what's the point of having insurance. You seem to be arguing that it would be better for a company or person found liable for injury to another to just pay for the injury instead of paying insurance premiums which would/could cause the company to go belly-up "eventually".

    History tells us that in the good ol' days,
    a company found liable for injury would often just declare itself bankrupt and the owners would then start another company doing the same business. I actually worked for a guy who did that with several companies both before I worked for him and after I left his employ. Not an ethical person but he always made money for himself. Four companies where he was the CEO went bankrupt but his personal bank account increased every time.
    you worked for THE donald trump?!

    let's examine a similar scenario, one where a seven year old boy, pushed by the tide, drifts a few feet away from the zone the lifeguard is responsible for
    and the lifeguard, knowing he is going to lose his job with this same company for helping outside his zone, elects not to rescue the kid, resulting in the drowning death of the boy
    how is that employer going to react when the media exposes that the victim could have been saved had the lifeguard responded to the cries for help
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #30
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Fla. lifeguard fired for rescue outside beach zone

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So, if you can not counter the argument presented, simply make fun of the style of the post?
    I think we should make fun of stuff whenever possible. Being selective about it just because one doesn't have a good counter is lazy.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •