Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 117

Thread: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’[W:74]

  1. #71
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    For reef:

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You asked a ridiculous and unanswerable question. If you're going to magically change the laws of physics, the results are going to be whatever your magic says the results will be. What if people could shoot lasers out of their eyes? Well, then people could shoot lasers out of their eyes. This isn't a physics question anymore. Using physics words doesn't make it a physics question.
    Then the jackass could have commented on the 5 points I did raise related to his paper, if he wrote it, and state that the last question was ridiculous, even though it is not.

    I rephrased the question to remove the God of the Gaps. Not specifying how it would happen, but what would change about our universe if it did happen.

    I guess they always come in pairs...

  3. #73
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Then the jackass could have commented on the 5 points I did raise related to his paper, if he wrote it, and state that the last question was ridiculous, even though it is not.

    I rephrased the question to remove the God of the Gaps. Not specifying how it would happen, but what would change about our universe if it did happen.

    I guess they always come in pairs...
    You aren't asking a question based in reality. Asking a "what if we changed this?" doesn't really get anywhere. It's nice, it's cute, but it doesn't help us advance our knowledge of the world around us - which is what science is for. Sorry if you don't like it, but I think we will manage.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  4. #74
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Moderator's Warning:
    This is a thread about the Higgs Boson. Let's not discuss other members in this thread. Let's definitely not call other users names, not troll with pictures, not anything else. Stick to the topic and keep it civil.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #75
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne375 View Post
    This might have been asked and answered elsewhere but: Does anyone think the unofficial name "The God Particle" will cause all sorts of 'confusion' amongst the creationist crowd? Confusion over the particle not just the normal levels of confusion?
    It's not so Godly since some/most physicists have been going on the assumption that it's the correct model for quite some time now. So detecting it really doesn't change anything.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  6. #76
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    It's not so Godly since some/most physicists have been going on the assumption that it's the correct model for quite some time now. So detecting it really doesn't change anything.
    It gives their hypotheses merit so yes, it does change something.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  7. #77
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    How many theoretical physicists specializing in General Relativity does it take to screw in a lightbulb?



    Two

    One to hold the light bulb, a second one to rotate the universe.

    Actually, none, but physicists specializing in string theory and physicists specializing in quantum gravity theory are fighting each other for that privilege.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #78
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne375 View Post
    This might have been asked and answered elsewhere but: Does anyone think the unofficial name "The God Particle" will cause all sorts of 'confusion' amongst the creationist crowd? Confusion over the particle not just the normal levels of confusion?
    When the Higgs boson was conjectured decades ago, it was named the God particle because it would need to exist for all other particles to exist. Physicists have a habit of giving things weird names. For example, Murray Gell-Mann named the quark from a line in the book Finegan's Wake. And there are 6 kinds of quarks - Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, and Bottom. The first two correspond to atomic structure as we know it. The others correspond to atomic structures found by smashing atoms, but which do not exist normally (although they are probably found in black holes). Some universes may consists of one of those families instead of the electron, proton, and neutron (proton=2 up quarks and a down quark, neutron=1 up quark and 2 down quarks). These "others" are the muon family of particles and the tao family of particles. Here's an interesting fact - The muon neutrino appears to move faster than the speed of light, but I think I disagree with that finding, because if they found a muon neutrino's position, then there is no way to know the velocity (according to the Quantum Measurement Problem), thus making that second measurement invalid.
    Last edited by danarhea; 07-07-12 at 09:15 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #79
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    It gives their hypotheses merit so yes, it does change something.
    If you say so. I guess.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  10. #80
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    When the Higgs boson was conjectured decades ago, it was named the God particle because it would need to exist for all other particles to exist. Physicists have a habit of giving things weird names. For example, Murray Gell-Mann named the quark from a line in the book Finegan's Wake. And there are 6 kinds of quarks - Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, and Bottom. The first two correspond to atomic structure as we know it. The others correspond to atomic structures found by smashing atoms, but which do not exist normally (although they are probably found in black holes). Some universes may consists of one of those families instead of the electron, proton, and neutron (proton=2 up quarks and a down quark, neutron=1 up quark and 2 down quarks). These "others" are the muon family of particles and the tao family of particles. Here's an interesting fact - The muon neutrino appears to move faster than the speed of light, but I think I disagree with that finding, because if they found a muon neutrino's position, then there is no way to know the velocity (according to the Quantum Measurement Problem), thus making that second measurement invalid.
    The nerd in me wants to love this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •