Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 76

Thread: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about poli

  1. #61
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,104

    joke Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Seems to me like she was protesting in a way. They probably should have just pepper sprayed her and called it a day.

    If she never got a permit and she was occupying a public space then why the double standard, I wonder.
    Last edited by Utility Man; 07-02-12 at 02:41 AM.

  2. #62
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    Seems to me like she was protesting in a way. They probably should have just pepper sprayed her and called it a day.

    If she never got a permit and she was occupying a public space then why the double standard, I wonder.
    I think in most areas you don't need a permit to protest on a sidewalk or street corner as long as you are sharing that area and you are not blocking anyone.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Are you mocking the famed discount philosopher, Specklebang?
    Not at all. That's the plan, currently. It's got some roadblocks to be dealt with, but other than that it's the plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    So you want everyone in jail. I mean if you are going to go all hardline on us and everything then one mile an hour over the speed limit is criminal. The speed LIMIT is the speed limit. No leeway. Is that where you are going with this? The law is the law and it should all be criminal? lol
    No, I just want people to actually start following the law, or accepting the consequences for not doing so. It's really just that simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    There aren't enough jails in the world for your world view.
    That's why I believe most serious/felony offenses should be dealt with via a method other than incarceration.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Yup. Someone I know flashed their brights at uncoming traffic to warn about a speed trap. Another cop saw this and gave them a ticket for "unlawful use of one's lights", believe it or not.
    I remember that years ago a person also had a sign warning of a speed trap and was arrested for obstruction of justice. I believe both cases are wrong, and that free speech should keep anyone from being arrested for warning of a speed trap, but many police departments see it as keeping them from collecting revenue.

  5. #65
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I do. I'm saying that flashing one's lights and holding a sign to warn of cops is protected under free speech. I also think that speed traps should be illegal.
    What if someone learns of a law enforcement sting operation intended to catch terrorists, and that person tips off the terrorists? Is that also protected free speech? Because to me it looks like obstruction of justice.

    That said ... I do flash. Fight the power!
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #66
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104
    Jay walking is a non-jailable ticket only offense.
    This is, of course, the most important overlooked issue. Regardless of whether or not a person agrees the the legality of the action, every person should have the common sense necessary to realize that tossing a person in jail simply to make a point is the clear action of a totalitarian authority. Rabid nationalism is, in my opinion, a major factor in the desensitization of American citizens to abuses of power by their so-called "heroes". For many [ignorant] people, "heroes" are untouchable and can do no wrong (e.g. military, police, fire, EMS, teachers, etc.).

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT
    What if someone learns of a law enforcement sting operation intended to catch terrorists, and that person tips off the terrorists? Is that also protected free speech? Because to me it looks like obstruction of justice.
    The alleged dangers of terrorism are greatly exaggerated in order to keep American citizens fearful and to blindly accept the police state. It (fear) has been a resounding success for many many years.

  7. #67
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,096

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    That's why I believe most serious/felony offenses should be dealt with via a method other than incarceration.
    You want to adjust laws to merely accomodate making more jail space? You are so in the wrong country.

    And why would you say "a method other than incarceration" when you clearly mean execution?
    Last edited by poweRob; 07-02-12 at 10:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #68
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    What if someone learns of a law enforcement sting operation intended to catch terrorists, and that person tips off the terrorists? Is that also protected free speech? Because to me it looks like obstruction of justice.

    That said ... I do flash. Fight the power!
    If we go by the logic of some anti-4th amendment nuts who blatantly misinterpret the 4th amendment to be a issue of privacy and not a issue of law enforcement needing a warrant, then by their logic if you are out in public street or road then there is no expectation of privacy or in the case of law enforce an expectation of secrecy. A speed trap or a DUI check point can't be a secret seeing how such operations rely on police being on a public street to conduct those operations.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #69
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Interesting. I would think her right to free speech would take precedent. She wasn't causing harm. In fact a argument can be made that her actions caused people to slow down (despite the reason) and possibly prevented accidents.
    PENAL CODE

    TITLE 8. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION

    CHAPTER 38. OBSTRUCTING GOVERNMENTAL OPERATION

    Sec. 38.05. HINDERING APPREHENSION OR PROSECUTION. (a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to hinder the arrest, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of another for an offense or, with intent to hinder the arrest, detention, adjudication, or disposition of a child for engaging in delinquent conduct that violates a penal law of the state, or with intent to hinder the arrest of another under the authority of a warrant or capias, he:

    (1) harbors or conceals the other;

    (2) provides or aids in providing the other with any means of avoiding arrest or effecting escape; or

    (3) warns the other of impending discovery or apprehension.

    (b) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(3) that the warning was given in connection with an effort to bring another into compliance with the law.

    (c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

    PENAL CODE**CHAPTER 38. OBSTRUCTING GOVERNMENTAL OPERATION
    It's in the Texas Penal code. She got off easy just spending 12 in the tank. She could have a criminal record. With that being said, curse those scurrilous dogs and their speed traps. The town I live in has what they call ETA (Extreme Traffic Enforcement). Before they went to a trunk system radio, I used to listen to them all the time on a scanner. The ETA unit got a LoJack hit and wanted to go look for the vehicle. The supervisor told him to get back to ETA. I almost barfed.
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 07-03-12 at 12:13 AM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  10. #70
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Pedestrian thrown in jail for 12 hours for holding up sign warning drivers about

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody
    It's in the Texas Penal code. She got off easy just spending 12 in the tank.
    You emphasized the wrong parts. "A person commits an offense if, with intent to hinder the arrest, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of another for an offense..."

    She did none of the above. She could be accused of hindering the detection of an offense, but her actions were completed prior to the awareness of any wrongdoing.

    Regardless, it is a victimless crime and is morally reprehensible.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •