Page 80 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1220

Thread: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2[W:1, 183, 386, 590]

  1. #791
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    That's exactly why I would consider it more of a fine than a tax. They're being punished for trying to freeload.
    I am NOT trying to freeload and willingly offer all of my wealth, declare bankrupcy and live on the dole until age 65, IFF I should need and recieve any such emergency life saving medical care. At age 60, I am willing to gamble that I will make 65 and qualify for medicare before that point, if not I will GLADLY pay the price. I can not afford to pay more for insurance than my rent ($300/month), as that is an either/or decision that I consider to be a "no brainer". I am much more likely to remain healthy living indoors and under a roof, than in a tent (or under a bridge) even with a fancy medical care insurance card to prove that I am being quite "responsible". ;-)
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 07-01-12 at 09:35 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #792
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    If democrats are for punishing freeloaders with a fine or some kind then I am with you. Lets get started.
    Right, that's all this is about. Democrats are trying to discourage freeloading by fining people who try to freeload off the public in health care. That's what this whole stink was about.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  3. #793
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,654

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    He ran very heavily on not raising taxes on the middle class and those earning under 250k. By heavily, I mean most of his stump speeches touched on this idea.

    He is now responsible for the single greatest tax increase on the middle and lower class of anyone, anywhere, any time. No wonder they are running from calling it a tax. You can't play both sides of the fence on that categorization either---the basis on which it was upheld and argued by the White House was to call it a tax because the mandate was declared illegal as the basis to regulate commerce; but you can tax it.

    Im personally worried about the idea that government would be constrained by backlash from passing new legislation taxing the absence of commerce. Its frightening to think of how much they could tax with that as a principle idea.

    I wonder if Roberts was really sharp enough to do the old Chinese strategy of taking one step backward so as to take two steps forward. Maybe the CJ really stuck it to Obama in the long run

  4. #794
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I am NOT trying to freeload and willingly offer all of my wealth, declare bankrupcy and live on the dole until age 65, IFF I should need and recieve any such emergency life saving medical care. At age 60, I am willing to gamble that I will make 65 and qualify for medicare before that point, if not I will GLADLY pay the price. I can not afford to pay more for insurance than my rent ($300/month), as that is an either/or decision that I consider to be a "no brainer". I am much more likely to remain healthy living indoors and under a roof, than in a tent (or under a bridge) even with a fancy medical care insurance card to prove that I am being quite "responsible". ;-)
    If you don't get insurance through work and you're struggling to afford it, please, take advantage of the help we're offering you. That's the whole point of this thing. To ensure that folks in your boat get medical care without it costing them more than they can afford. You live in the richest country in the world. It's ridiculous that you should have to be like gambling your solvency on the hope that you don't get sick until you hit 65. Even people in many third world countries don't have to do that. Certainly you shouldn't have to. That's dead center of what we are trying to fix.
    Last edited by teamosil; 07-01-12 at 09:39 PM.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  5. #795
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Right, that's all this is about. Democrats are trying to discourage freeloading by fining people who try to freeload off the public in health care. That's what this whole stink was about.
    What of those that freeload by having out-of-wedlock children that they "can not" support? What of those that get SNAP benefits? What of those that drink/drug instead of working? What of those that simply refuse to earn enough to pay FIT, or get EITC rebates? Picking on those that DO attempt to get free care in the ER is one thing, but picking on those that simply MIGHT is quite another.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #796
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I wonder if Roberts was really sharp enough to do the old Chinese strategy of taking one step backward so as to take two steps forward. Maybe the CJ really stuck it to Obama in the long run
    Word is that Chief Justice Roberts is experiencing cognitive decline as a result of his epilepsy medicine. Medications have a helluva an impact on people's ability to think. That's why lots of lawyers and doctors ultimately decide to retire.

  7. #797
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Word is that Chief Justice Roberts is experiencing cognitive decline as a result of his epilepsy medicine. Medications have a helluva an impact on people's ability to think. That's why lots of lawyers and doctors ultimately decide to retire.
    no way
    roberts was quite clever in his application of the Constitution
    hope he learned something from that citizens united abortion
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #798
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What of those that freeload by having out-of-wedlock children that they "can not" support? What of those that get SNAP benefits? What of those that drink/drug instead of working? What of those that simply refuse to earn enough to pay FIT, or get EITC rebates? Picking on those that DO attempt to get free care in the ER is one thing, but picking on those that simply MIGHT is quite another.
    Aren't they already being punished enough by having to live a life in poverty? While pile on more?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #799
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    no way
    roberts was quite clever in his application of the Constitution
    hope he learned something from that citizens united abortion
    None of the other members of the Supreme Court signed the Roberts opinion. None of the liberals and none of the conservatives. His opinion was incoherent.

  10. #800
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives-Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    If you don't get insurance through work and you're struggling to afford it, please, take advantage of the help we're offering you. That's the whole point of this thing. To ensure that folks in your boat get medical care without it costing them more than they can afford. You live in the richest country in the world. It's ridiculous that you should have to be like gambling your solvency on the hope that you don't get sick until you hit 65. Even people in many third world countries don't have to do that. Certainly you shouldn't have to. That's dead center of what we are trying to fix.
    I pay CASH and get all the care that I need, I pay my bills, I buy and take my medications and get HUGE cash discounts for doing so. The clinic that I use never even has to send me a bill, as I refuse to leave until I pay for that visit. They LIKE me there, and would help me in any way should I ask for it. They have even had me admitted to the hospital for surgery ($5,800) and I paid CASH for that as well (but it took 2.5 years). Paying cash is not impossible.

    I do not WANT gov't help, if I really needed it, then my family, friends and neighbors would try to raise it, as we all did for another neighbor whose entire house was recently destroyed by a lighting strike fire. People CAN DO much more than most think, if they are simply willing to TRY and help each other when in need, what goes around, comes around.

    I am old and have been in many motorcycle accidents that have taken their toll, over the years, via multiple broken bones, plates, screws, bone grafts and some messed up soft tissue (discs and nerves) and some circulation problems, but can still work, so I do, hopefully until at least age 62 to get SS help, that I will have worked 45 years for.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 07-01-12 at 09:56 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 80 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •