Page 29 of 194 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 1937

Thread: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758, 1205]

  1. #281
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Your company isn't going to stop paying for your insurance because of this. In fact they aren't paying for your insurance, period. You are paying for it in the form of lower cash pay.
    This of course assuming that if they weren't giving him insurance that they would be giving him that money in a higher cash pay which is just that...an assumption.

  2. #282
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The proper way to fix that problem is to get rid of Ronald Reagan's dreadfully WRONG law stating that hospitals have to treat people who can't pay; NOT to force a National Healthcare system on people.
    Social Darwinism, "let them die".

    What color burka for Tehran?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #283
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Entire Healthcare Law Upheld

    Quote Originally Posted by Masada View Post
    And essentially, what that does is drive private insurers out of business, which was the goal from the beginning.

    "Affordable Care Act" you call it eh? Hmmmm.....does no one pay attention? Health insurance premiums have risen on average in the amount of 18% nationally since the passage of Obamacare. 5 percentage points higher than it was increasing before ObamaCare.

    Go talk to someone in the industry. This is driving prices higher, faster, not the other way around. Gone are the days of $500 deductibles. Why? Because no one can afford the premiums with such a low deductible.

    Yes indeed, this is the beginning of the end for private insurance companies. Precisely what liberals are trying to do.
    WOW!!Now its"affordable Care Act" ? What happened to Obamacare?
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  4. #284
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    It looks like states may be able to opt out of this without the feds being able to wit hold Medicaid funds from them, this little sub opinion may in actuality be the biggest opinion that makes obama care an impotent threat.
    If they opt out of the Medicaid expansion they wil be refusing the additional money too. When is the last time you saw States turn down Fed money?

  5. #285
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    Well guess what?! We will find out - won't we?!
    Actually this angle can be used to whip up emotions. This will increase the bitter divisions in America won't it?

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Your company isn't going to stop paying for your insurance because of this. In fact they aren't paying for your insurance, period. You are paying for it in the form of lower cash pay.
    Actually considering the "Cadilac" provision and what our current policies cost, they may very well chose to either get rid of or seriously reduce the policies when our contract comes up next year. They are right on the edge of incurring the penalties for having "Cadilac" plans and there's no way on Earth this company is going to pay those fines for a 16,000 person workforce.

  7. #287
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,704

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    My appendix ruptured at the age of 19. All the bills added up to 20,000 dollars. Insurance doesn't seem so expensive and unnecessary after that.
    I carry and always have carried insurance. Your anecdotal example aside, there are a whole lot of people today that DONT carry insurance...many by choice, many because they feel they cant afford it (I disagree with most of them BTW...get rid of your cell phone, cable, video games, budget appropriately, and you likely CAN afford insurance. And SHOULD). Regardless...they are now MANDATED to do so.

    I'm not all that upset about this, primarily because I am a realist. I saw this coming a long time ago. Reality is, this is just a beginning. Id bet good money that by 2016 we will see universal healthcare implemented, as well as the elimination of medicare, medicaid, and the beginning of the shut-down of veterans administration hospitals, military hospitals, etc. Ive said from the beginning that it isnt about health care reform, its about where the reform is. People are gleeful about trusting the federal government...an entity that cant so much as pass a budget or agree on simple deficit reductions and that is 16 trillion in debt and climbing...with the management of 'healthcare'. Brilliant.

  8. #288
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Entire Healthcare Law Upheld

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I guess I can live with it. My plan is to buy health insurance based on these two conditions:

    1) If I am not sick/injured then pay the ($400?) IRS fine. That is only $34/month or a bit over $1/day.

    2) If I am sick/injured then buy insurance, paying premiums ONLY while getting treatment and then cancel the policy ASAP.
    So basically you are on the level of a Medicare cheat?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #289
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    You think conservatives are lesser human beings than liberals?
    Not lesser human beings, per se. Just empty headed assholes, mostly.

    But my opinion of liberals isn't much different. I'm referring to the outer fringes of each ideology, of course. The people in the moderate middle, both liberals and conservatives, appear to have MUCH grey matter in their skulls. They would be much harder to clean up after. But we don't see their head's exploding so no worries mate.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Roberts wrote. "Congress has no authority to order the States to regulate according to its instructions. Congress may offer the States grants and require the States to comply with accompanying conditions, but the States must have a genuine choice whether to accept the offer. The States are given no such choice in this case: They must either accept a basic change in the nature of Medicaid, or risk losing all Medicaid funding. The remedy for that constitutional violation is to preclude the Federal Government from imposing such a sanction."

    Roberts redeems himself as a true conservative (not a TeaBrain) and protector of the integrity of the court.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •